Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Charity idea from discord

Earlier today a member of discord dropped the idea of a beekeeper skin to raise proceeds for beekeepers. This started as a joke, but quickly turned into an idea that I think is of note. Seasonal skins/pets/mounts to help support causes in the world.
The main example, and the one most on AOC Discussions may have seen bits of, was a blue footed booby mount as a purchased donation skin to support Breast Cancer Awareness. What started as a suggestion took off with quite a few members wanting to see this movement go forward.
I am curious, is this something the community at large would like to see? If so, would the developers be interested in this possibility?
The current way I could see it is 4 such donation drives a year, the supported charities being voted on by poll from a list put together by devs and community leaders.
Opinions? Thoughts? Suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    I'm all for charity, and I often kid with Steven that he should do a pyramid freehold skin and roll all the money into the Extra Life Charity Donation that they do.

I think this sort of thing; however, on the scale you are talking about should be done after the game is launched. I could totally see Steven doing it, but when he has a few hundred other things off his plate.
    hpsmlCJ.jpg
    Make sure to check out Ashes 101
  • Options
    I definitely see this as a post launch project should it be supported. I am primarily trying to get a feel on the community’s thoughts and feelings on it. Also, getting the discussion started so ideas can be ironed out.
    This topic is only a few hrs old, so it’s very rough still.
  • Options
    My only suggestion would be to not design the cosmetics to tie them to a charity. All cosmetics should fit in the lore/world of Verra instead of referencing modern real-world things. You could just advertise a cosmetic as supporting the charity when it goes on sale.

It's a nice idea, but I'd only want it to happen if Intrepid actually really wanted to do it themselves and in this way since it'd be them putting in the time and effort.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Ravudha wrote: »
    My only suggestion would be to not design the cosmetics to tie them to a charity. All cosmetics should fit in the lore/world of Verra instead of referencing modern real-world things. You could just advertise a cosmetic as supporting the charity when it goes on sale.

It's a nice idea, but I'd only want it to happen if Intrepid actually really wanted to do it themselves and in this way since it'd be them putting in the time and effort.

I agree with this, but I do think tying it in to any potential charity where possible is a good idea.

While I am not convinced about the beekeeper suggestion (apiaries are commercial businesses that sell a product, as such they don't need charity - if you want to support them, buy more honey), I'm sure there are plenty of actual charities that could have a suitable in game cosmetic made to suit.
  • Options
    The beekeepers was just what started it all, but fair points. Definitely should match the world of Vera.
    And I would want the developers on board, that’s without question. This is just to start the conversation and get a feel for the waters.