Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Tulnar Being Playable, A Huge Miss By Intrepid Or Not?

KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
I am curious on everyone's thoughts here. Hear me out though before you comment. I plan on playing Tulnar because of the uniqueness that it has compared to the other races. My instinct tells me to go Orc as I want to main tank for raids (bigger models usually mean bigger gear models as well), love the race visually and usually the backstory is always intriguing. However, the Tulnar just seem to good to pass up. bestial customizations, a race that survived an apocalypse, Lizard people from UNDERGROUND!? I mean come on.

The reason for my post is simply this. The lore behind the Tulnar should be rich on Verra. If we are to be given quest lines explaining their story, don't you think it would be a bit silly for a Tulnar to be questing to learn about what they have already lived through? On the flipside, if this lore is neglected for this fact, we are to just adventure with Tulnar and other races without learning about them? This to me seems like a big miss by IS with a ton of potential left on the table.

Suggestion: Remove Tulnar as a playable race ( I know this sucks for anyone who decided to play them like myself). Now they can implement a quest chain for each RACE that survived (reptile, pig, etc). Completing these chains can give us the opportunity to augment our characters visually.

Disclaimer: I don't expect them to remove a playable race. It was just a silly thought to preserve an incredible amount of lore than can help sustain the longevity of the game (lore that should have some of the deepest importance for us on Verra). Also, if the person who has been working on Tulnar lore/art reads this, I respect you fully and meant no wrongs lol.

Lastly, I haven't delved through the wiki enough to have read it all. If I missed something or you know anything to counter my suggestions, please don't hesitate to share it!

Comments

• Options
    AardvarkAardvark Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    No how about we remove orc instead. We don’t need any races removed when there are only 5 main race types as there is
  • Options
    No and also no

The Tulnar were stuck as cave dwellers for all this time, no one’s been topside any significant amount of time since Corruption spread all over it. We’re exploring the lore of the first layer of Verra, not the Tulnar’s home grounds.
  • Options
    I don’t think this is a problem, if they implement quests for lore and history on the Tulnar, it isn’t necessarily the case that our character will know this, we the human race don’t know all our history and that which we do know were taught to us in schools or later life if we became interested in it. The same can be said for a Tulnar character
  • Options
    Bad idea in my opinion, I prefer it as it is. I don't see a problem.
  • Options
    GruntagGruntag Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

c00cc3b9e6d25ff3567777502d6db007.jpg

• Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    You even THINK about taking away my scaly, dirt dwellers and we will have a war on our hands.

But seriously, Tulnar wont really have a problem with any of the lore, even in later expansions if they develop the underrealm more. They could just say that our tulnar come from a secluded undercity that had no access to the rest of the underrealm (like Blizzard did in Mists of Pandaria).

Saying that Tulnar all know about their civilisations history would be like saying that chinese know about european medieval history ;D
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    NelsonRebelNelsonRebel Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited August 2020
    Dont agree with this at all.

Way to knitty gritty in details additional that should be reserved for single player games.

Also on the subject of Tulnar Lore, their lore would not be rich, they dug as deep and far to escape the corruptions destruction as possible, they lived in barbaric darkness for generations devolving from their glorious past to live in mud and darkness. If anything they should be more uncivilized than ever.

Remember they are only rising up due to the divine gates reactivating and changing the land
  • Options
    LuthienstormLuthienstorm Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I don't agree, I think the game designers have better ideas.
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    A Tulnar would not have lived through every major event unless (A) they are immortal and (B) like Forrest Gump they just happen to be involved directly in every major historical event happening in their lifetime.

That’s like saying that we don’t need to teach history classes in real life because as denizens of Earth we know all of Earth’s history automatically. That’s not how it works.

Who knows, maybe the Tulnar were even taught a lie that they can uncover through exploration and discovery of lore?

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    LfmrLfmr Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I thought the Tulnar were relatively safe underground, and they're coming up for the first time since the apocalypse, if this is the case, it effects quest lore in no way.
  • Options
    Before reading this, I thought it was gonna be about the massive undertaking of creating gear that makes sense for all the different variations of Tulnar, which is what I worry about. (like how is that gonna work?)

However, no offense, but that's not really a good enough reason IMO to remove the race from playable races. I'm sure it will make more sense when we actually learn more about them, and what your specific story will be as a Tulnar.
  • Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited August 2020
    Also on the subject of Tulnar Lore, their lore would not be rich, they dug as deep and far to escape the corruptions destruction as possible, they lived in barbaric darkness for generations devolving from their glorious past to live in mud and darkness. If anything they should be more uncivilized than ever.

Remember they are only rising up due to the divine gates reactivating and changing the land

Excuse me? We didnt live in dirty holes like cavemen. We lived in dirty caverns.
    Dark Elves are some of the most "culturally advanced" races in DnD. Yes, they are a matrichal slave society, but they do love their spider silk.

What I would expect from the tulnar:
    u4.jpg?w=584&h=314

fe081edd048a280fa7726b0d6037a53c.png

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcSoh_UOG-dq8xKaogE33DUpBVE91MtNebOzR-KKOGocHDPPGujXoonlvyvt0GGMuRAEtKudjx6ZXNOshF-s7WsYWD7m_Khmh7Pudw&usqp=CAU&ec=45695924.jpg

bK46UrU.jpg
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    PlagueMonkPlagueMonk Member
    edited August 2020
    If others haven't made it abundantly clear, that would be a big ol' NO from me as well.

Taking away the possibility of a Skaven-esque look would cause me to rage quit before the game was even completed.
    isFikWd2_o.jpg
  • Options
    FuryBladeborneFuryBladeborne Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited August 2020
    KHRONUS wrote: »
    The reason for my post is simply this. The lore behind the Tulnar should be rich on Verra. If we are to be given quest lines explaining their story, don't you think it would be a bit silly for a Tulnar to be questing to learn about what they have already lived through?
    That is up to the writers. If the writers present information about the race in the format of the characters are talking about things that are known, then the conversation presenting lore will feel natural; and, the players will learn about those things as the characters talk about them.

• Options
    @Aardvark I'm confused by your suggestion. Seems like a salty response for zero reason?

@Caeryl My point exactly. The 4 races are exploring Verra for the first time. We get here and go....holy crap....these people were living underground and survived. . . . . .and that's it? I doubt they are going to leave us as just accepting some random pig/reptile people coming from underground without giving us lore. IF SO, then this lore would not make sense for the Tulnar to explore via quest lines as this is quite literally what they lived through.

@KeybladerH I agree. When compared to humanity, sure. For the Tulnar, I suppose it depends on how many years it has been underground. Are these first generation Tulnar or will we be further down the line and curious about our past? This is something that would be pretty cool to explore from our characters perspective if our grandparents survived. Their struggles, villains/heroes can be spawned from this. Maybe we survived from having to sacrifice others to give it a dark plot twist!

@Damokles I like your perspective and I would never dream of taking it away. I'll fight alongside you with my green skinned bruiser anyday. If anything, all Dwarves are KOS imo. One can hope that those pics will be our explorable caverns.

@NelsonRebel Love this! This makes more sense.

@Atama Good idea. I really hope there is a dark undertone to the lore. I mean....THE APOCALYPSE and they survived.

@PlagueMonk I get it. Removing a race that people are excited for would be trash and still I am torn between Tulnar and Orc. I just want the lore to make sense and it seems Tulnar is naturally the most unique and intriguing race by far.

@Atiqa What do you mean about the equipment? Do you mean how it will appear on each variation of character? If so I would assume that it will scale in size and the customizable features won't be covered by gear.

I appreciate everyone's input. Really. Thank you for giving me insight! I'm just really looking forward to the lore potential in this game!
  • Options
    XenelliaXenellia Moderator, Member, Alpha One
    On a more realistic note, Tulnar will not be removed as a playable race because it was a kickstarter goal that was met.

We were promised the Tulnar by Intrepid, and them going back on their word would be a terrible move. No matter how interesting of an argument you make (and I do think it was), the reality outside of the lore/game world unfortunately makes this impossible.

I'm sure we'll have very good lore reasons for the Tulnar to be playable, after all I doubt they would have even offered the stretch goal if that had no idea where they were going with it ;)
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options
    FuryBladeborneFuryBladeborne Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Xenellia wrote: »
    On a more realistic note, Tulnar will not be removed as a playable race because it was a kickstarter goal that was met.

If a Kickstarter goal would delay the intended release of the game, then that goal may be withheld until after release. Since that is what the OP is requesting, it is possible.

• Options
    KesarakkKesarakk Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    I do think your idea has some merit in the interest of lore. With the Tulnar being isolated underground, they would be in the same situation as the other races as far as learning about what is around them. Would I like to see areas in the Underrealm that were designated for Tulnar tribes with unique quest chains? Hell yeah! That sounds like a blast. However, I don't see the need to remove them as a playable race, especially since Intrepid had made it a goal of theirs to add them to the game during the kickstarter.
  • Options
    Damokles wrote: »

Excuse me? We didnt live in dirty holes like cavemen. We lived in dirty caverns.
    Dark Elves are some of the most "culturally advanced" races in DnD. Yes, they are a matrichal slave society, but they do love their spider silk.

What I would expect from the tulnar:
    u4.jpg?w=584&h=314

fe081edd048a280fa7726b0d6037a53c.png

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcSoh_UOG-dq8xKaogE33DUpBVE91MtNebOzR-KKOGocHDPPGujXoonlvyvt0GGMuRAEtKudjx6ZXNOshF-s7WsYWD7m_Khmh7Pudw&usqp=CAU&ec=45695924.jpg

bK46UrU.jpg

But with way more bioluminescent plants and mushrooms. 😁
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Verra

It has been thousands of years since the calamity.

Might spark some outrage delaying Tulnar and might have to allow a one time, time limited free race change to those that got shafted on starting as Tulnar.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    To your first point;
    Tulnar definitely seem to have the best options for customisation. But let's not forget, so far all we have on their appearance in-game is vague descriptions and silhouettes that people pour their own ideas onto.

Second;
    I disagree, no need for them to be non-playable.
    From a quest perspective, relevance is relative, and depending on the quest writers it could make sense.
    • Is your Tulnar from this area and would they necessarily know their customs and story.
    • How many quests are focused on old lore vs current events?
    UncomfortableDangerousBarracuda-size_restricted.gif
  • Options
    @Xenellia Ah, this I did not know and I totally agree they should not remove the race since it was a kickstarter goal. I also learned that the calamity happened 1000 years ago. I didn't do my research before hand and wanted to propose an uneducated question to the community haha.
  • Options
    As have said. The tulnar was stuck underground. It is proberly limited with what knowladge they took with them, if they even took anything with them. So knowladge would be with what they took with them, what they have keept talking about and wrote down when they wen't underground. Plus we don't know what information will be given through quests.
    Tulnar needs to stay. They are one of the reasons i'm interested in the game
  • Options
    PlagueMonkPlagueMonk Member
    edited August 2020
    Damokles wrote: »

Queek! Icky Icky 'clean' cities that reek of chemicals and soap. /spits

Give me a dirty, overgrown city that smells of moss and earth with a hint of warpstone in the air!

106ec60cc757623f434b1ac4cee1071c.jpg

skaven-underworld.jpg

goblintown.jpg

isFikWd2_o.jpg