Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Sanctus ... is important

Hello devs, hope you doing fine ! ^^
So .. i found many problems with Sanctus and many empty spaces , the lore is awesome , it can lead to a rly nice world and history, if done right ! :smiley:

So first of all we know almost nothing about this world ... it has no magic (maybe like the Earth), it is another world ... i don't know if i'm missing something xD maybe i did too little research .
Anyway , you will start the game as soon as you arrive in Verra ... knowing anything about both worlds ... for the first 2 seconds, after that you will explore Verra as you never seen any other world. What's the Sanctus society, politics ... deployments . Is sanctus in war or not? Are the races in peace? Do the survived races live together? What's their relation ... economy, etc.
How the survived races are going to react to the native breed. If you join the native one are you in war with all the others?

I would have rly liked the idea of 2 factions ... 4 native races and 4 invaders from Sanctus (or less, 3-3)... pretty similar to wow in some way. That would have created a nice dynamic between races and different culture, and shape a nice world.
But we got 1 native race available and many from the outside ... is this ok? How is this going to work .. how balance it will be?
Maybe Sanctus has separate worlds so each race doesn't know the others, do they live in separated fractions of the Sanctus world.. maybe?
Or maybe everytime someone passes the "gate" or the "portal" for Verra he will lose the memory of Sanctus. I don't think so , otherwise why each race has a description of their culture and habits if he has no past?

Is it possible to return back into Sanctus? Are you going to implement Sanctus too? In the game.

Comments

• Options
    unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    There is lore already for many of the things mentioned in your post above. I will leave it for you to discover for yourself. Steven has always been about releasing as little of lore possible. His stated reason is to avoid spoilers, my personal opinion is to avoid writing himself into that dreaded "Canon Box". Avoiding the the dreaded red shirt guy appearing at an AsheCon in 2024 saying "In 2017 on Discord you said that X could never happen, but in this latest update, X did happen! I call shenanigans!" There are gameplay reasons for no factions and he has explained those a couple times also. Enjoy your lore hunt!
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • Options
    Beck AltarrBeck Altarr Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Medrash wrote: »
    So .. i found many problems with Sanctus and many empty spaces , the lore is awesome , it can lead to a rly nice world and history, if done right ! :smiley:

So first of all we know almost nothing about this world ... it has no magic (maybe like the Earth), it is another world ... i don't know if i'm missing something xD maybe i did too little research .
    Anyway , you will start the game as soon as you arrive in Verra ... knowing anything about both worlds ... for the first 2 seconds, after that you will explore Verra as you never seen any other world. What's the Sanctus society, politics ... deployments . Is sanctus in war or not? Are the races in peace? Do the survived races live together? What's their relation ... economy, etc.
    How the survived races are going to react to the native breed. If you join the native one are you in war with all the others?

I would have rly liked the idea of 2 factions ... 4 native races and 4 invaders from Sanctus (or less, 3-3)... pretty similar to wow in some way. That would have created a nice dynamic between races and different culture, and shape a nice world.
    But we got 1 native race available and many from the outside ... is this ok? How is this going to work .. how balance it will be?
    Maybe Sanctus has separate worlds so each race doesn't know the others, do they live in separated fractions of the Sanctus world.. maybe?
    Or maybe everytime someone passes the "gate" or the "portal" for Verra he will lose the memory of Sanctus. I don't think so , otherwise why each race has a description of their culture and habits if he has no past?

Is it possible to return back into Sanctus? Are you going to implement Sanctus too? In the game.

I feel the same way. I want to produce radio drama's based in Sanctus months before the Portals re-open to Verra. I have many questions that with out any answers too may lead me to get things all wrong and completely ruin the Radio Drama's.

What is the tech level on Sanctus is one of the biggest. How segregated are the races and cultures?

Most of it I can get around by the nature of the stories being personal experiences and not broad over arching narratives.

I like that the Factions will be player created and not cemented like in WoW where it really doesn't fit the story anyway. Half the time in WoW the two factions are working together, but we can't learn the others languages? There was a 3rd faction introduced in the Frozen throne, but they did very little with it. Very disappointing.
    phoenix.png
    Alpha/Beta Tester of Many Games - Station Manger of PhoenixRadio.Online an AoC & Gamer themed online Radio. Tune In Here
    Love a good story and lore.
    Twitch Streamer : PRO Discord
  • Options
    My immediate reaction was, "It's not really necessary, tons of worlds have 'mystery' origin-world lore that never gets fleshed out, like the original continent of the men in Elder Scrolls, the original world of the Humans in Guild Wars, etc."

But then you made some good points, unlike Elder Scrolls, Guild Wars and etc. where there are races that came to the location of the story in long past eras, we literally start the game as the ones who make that transition. It then follows that for at least roleplay / character creation purposes we should have some idea of the place we are emigrating from, so we can better develop our backstories, etc.
  • Options
    RisingPhoenixRisingPhoenix Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Please no factions. Forced pvp and the certain issues that AA and other games have would make this game irritating. Love the L2 of it in that and race can be with any other. Also allows friends to play together while playing what they want.
  • Options
    FuryBladeborneFuryBladeborne Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited August 2020
    What's the Sanctus society, politics ... deployments . Is sanctus in war or not? Are the races in peace? Do the survived races live together? What's their relation ... economy, etc.

I would have rly liked the idea of 2 factions ...

Factions are not in the game by design. The intention is for players to develop their own politics, allies, and enemies. The game will not assign your player enemies.

The story of Verra is going to be told in game. Steven does not want to release too much of the lore too soon as that is part of the reason to play for many people.

The in game story has already begun. Ashes of Creation Apocalypse was about the people fleeing Verra through a portal to Sanctus. Not everyone made it. Those that had flown close to the portal when the portal slammed shut were dropped to the ground. Chaos and fighting ensued as corruption swept over the land destroying everything. This was the BR.

Castle sieges (for testing castle sieges) are the next stage of Apocalypse. They will show the story of the survivors of the previous story. The survivors have taken over castles and are buckling down to defend against the spread of corruption to try and survive in any way possible.

Castle sieges were originally scheduled before Alpha 1, but due to widespread player demand for a product castle sieges were rescheduled to after Alpha 1. I am pretty sure that the intent is to get them next year, perhaps early in the year.

The final stage of Apocalypse will be horde mode (for testing horde mode). Horde mode will show how all the corrupted creatures of Verra attacked and wiped out any survivors.

I don't know if we will get information about Sanctus in game, but it would seem like a natural and easy way to add content to the lore of the game.

• Options
    Anyway , you will start the game as soon as you arrive in Verra ... knowing anything about both worlds ... for the first 2 seconds, after that you will explore Verra as you never seen any other world.

i intended to say : Knowing *NOTHING* about both worlds xD sry those days i'm pretty tired and my english is not that great ... i made probably many more errors in those days :P
  • Options
    MedrashMedrash Member
    edited August 2020
    @unknownsystemerror
    There is lore already for many of the things mentioned in your post above. I will leave it for you to discover for yourself. Steven has always been about releasing as little of lore possible. His stated reason is to avoid spoilers, my personal opinion is to avoid writing himself into that dreaded "Canon Box". Avoiding the the dreaded red shirt guy appearing at an AsheCon in 2024 saying "In 2017 on Discord you said that X could never happen, but in this latest update, X did happen! I call shenanigans!" There are gameplay reasons for no factions and he has explained those a couple times also. Enjoy your lore hunt!

Ok ... but some "not lore" stuff , we can get some info comeone. For example if the races are in war ... without any lore ... just for gamedesign purpose , to get an idea of the gameplay :smile:
  • Options
    @Beck Altarr

jea pretty disappointing ... you have to pay to change faction xD money grabbers dude. the fact that you cannot get the profession of the interpreter is pretty disappointing xD , just kidding .. a quest for that is fine .

The story of wow and the factions is great! but yes .. a little static and cemented the gameplay. I like the idea of this too, it's probably the best feature of this game so far! :smile:

• Options
    @Medrash

AoC has a lot of lore. I would suggest you read the lore that is available to us in the wiki. The races in fact do know what they are coming back to.
  • Options
    @Dreoh

We need our backgroud! xD from where our pc come from and who it is? His past yea , it's pretty important. Anyway they don't want to spoil that, so i suppose there is already a lot of lore ready for us to explore and blow our minds

• Options
    @Littlefeet
    Littlefeet wrote: »
    Please no factions. Forced pvp and the certain issues that AA and other games have would make this game irritating. Love the L2 of it in that and race can be with any other. Also allows friends to play together while playing what they want.

Yep, i think that forced factions is not good sure, but some lore and already made faction is also important, then you can create your own faction or adapt to an already existing one.
  • Options
    @FuryBladeborne
    What's the Sanctus society, politics ... deployments . Is sanctus in war or not? Are the races in peace? Do the survived races live together? What's their relation ... economy, etc.

I would have rly liked the idea of 2 factions ...

Factions are not in the game by design. The intention is for players to develop their own politics, allies, and enemies. The game will not assign your player enemies.

The story of Verra is going to be told in game. Steven does not want to release too much of the lore too soon as that is part of the reason to play for many people.

The in game story has already begun. Ashes of Creation Apocalypse was about the people fleeing Verra through a portal to Sanctus. Not everyone made it. Those that had flown close to the portal when the portal slammed shut were dropped to the ground. Chaos and fighting ensued as corruption swept over the land destroying everything. This was the BR.

Castle sieges (for testing castle sieges) are the next stage of Apocalypse. They will show the story of the survivors of the previous story. The survivors have taken over castles and are buckling down to defend against the spread of corruption to try and survive in any way possible.

Castle sieges were originally scheduled before Alpha 1, but due to widespread player demand for a product castle sieges were rescheduled to after Alpha 1. I am pretty sure that the intent is to get them next year, perhaps early in the year.

The final stage of Apocalypse will be horde mode (for testing horde mode). Horde mode will show how all the corrupted creatures of Verra attacked and wiped out any survivors.

I don't know if we will get information about Sanctus in game, but it would seem like a natural and easy way to add content to the lore of the game.

Thz you,

Are the nodes/factions/players able to ally with the survivor of a caste? or be diplomatic .. making an alliance. Or you just need to kill them. There will be a reason for that i assume.
    So the enemy "static" faction are the npc ... maybe you can get some npc ally, and the player is a dinamic faction right? Good, that's the best thing you made in the game in my opinion ;) .
    But do npc have factions? Do they have enemies? Or every race is allied with all the races? If the races don't have a faction why there are 2 different type of dwarfs .. elfs and humans? If they live together they will mix into one. So a faction must exist. There are some contraddictions maybe .. so tecnically the faction of the different races have some sort of etic and rules, but they live in peace. In verra the magic will corrupt our souls and without any rule or law we all are going to mix and fight against each others... maybe? We are good people ... i believe xD haha .
    The game miss some patriotism , the only thing that matters are the ideals and conquest ^^ I also don't get that well how the style of the city is going to be, if you have different races what the hell is going to happen ... a mixture of culture .. houses and style.
  • Options
    @Medrash I hear you, my friend. I to want to know. But, as others have said. We are working a clean slate. There really isn't a history. We, the players, will make the history and create the lore.

Steven has given us some lore to work with. Sanctus, the portals, the corrupt, NPCs being the advanced parties for us, the players, and more.

Sure, we need more insite. What "social guilds" are out there, what races are predominant, what do the Tulnair look like, can I craft with that glowing stuff called "essence"?

I hope I just gave you some insite ideas. We really don't know. We are going to be infants being born into a "new" world (with nodes!).

We really don't have a history. We will have to discover our own gods, even.
  • Options
    BobzUrUncleBobzUrUncle Member
    edited August 2020
    I love how the OP starts off with immediately going to 'you guys don't know what you are doing. My ideas are better'. And most of their discussions are the same twisted perception.

Steven has been working on the lore for a very long time. He just hasn't released it yet (and don't expect spoilers during the testing - they have said it will be temporary text). We are supposed to figure it out after launch. So, how can we judge what is written if we don't know it?
  • Options
    That reminds me...

All this testing Intrepid is doing, is part of the lore. They are creating it now. Apox, or whatever, was an event about the Sanctus and our return. Next testing is another chapter. Eventually we will see the Tulnair and that will be another chapter. It goes on and on. It's up to us to fill in the gaps, with our stories (hint,hint)
  • Options
    FuryBladeborneFuryBladeborne Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    @Medrash
    Castles influence influence crop yields, resources and events within the 1/5th of the world that the castle has domain over. The monarch of the castle also receives taxes from the same area. The nodes and castles are mutually dependent upon the success of one another.
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Guild_castles#Castle_regions

As far as the rest of your questions, I think that we will just see in time.
  • Options
    @Kneczhevo

every world has it's own background :smile: you cannot build a game with politics, races and a lore ... without a lore xD . yea i know the mechanics of ... you create your own story, but that's the future my boy :tongue:
  • Options
    @BobzUrUncle
    I love how the OP starts off with immediately going to 'you guys don't know what you are doing. My ideas are better'. And most of their discussions are the same twisted perception.

Steven has been working on the lore for a very long time. He just hasn't released it yet (and don't expect spoilers during the testing - they have said it will be temporary text). We are supposed to figure it out after launch. So, how can we judge what is written if we don't know it?

Yes sure, sometimes they don't know what they are doing, it's a human thing ... nobody knows everything dude... and nobody is perfect. What's the problem with having better ideas? It's why the discussion section exist ... if they believe that their ideas are the better then why bother making the forum?
    I'm judging what i see now, of course there will be more and maybe fixed in the future ... but maybe not.
  • Options
    MedrashMedrash Member
    edited August 2020
    @FuryBladeborne
    @Medrash
    Castles influence influence crop yields, resources and events within the 1/5th of the world that the castle has domain over. The monarch of the castle also receives taxes from the same area. The nodes and castles are mutually dependent upon the success of one another.
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Guild_castles#Castle_regions

As far as the rest of your questions, I think that we will just see in time.

Yes i see , that's a strange mechanic in my opinion but i know pretty much the most of castles . Thanz you anyway.

Each node will fight for something and against someone, this is what i call Factions. There will be a dinamic factions system ... and then a static one that prevent the game to play free and wrote his own story (castles), it's a contraddiction... i will make a discussion about this. :tongue:
  • Options
    @Medrash

You are missing the point. There is no lore. We left and now we are returning to reclaim our land. Plain and simple.

Make up a story, if you need depth. There are a number of fan fiction to sink your teeth into <hint,hint>. Heck, maybe the devs want "us" to make up the lore (didn't I say that before?). What better resource, than the fans. Maybe the devs will take inspiration from your fan fiction.

You know how many times I have heard "well, that's not canon.". Intrepid has given us a clean slate to create. Us, the fans. That's a gift! I don't need some fantasy character to be my rolemodle. I am the rolemodle, I'm the hero!

Sure, we want to know who the gods are. Time to find them, learn about them, choose to worship or not. If they are spelled out, for you, where is the sense of "adventure"? Make up a God, for your lore. So what if it doesn't arrive in game. Make it a pagan God, that gets swallowed up by an ingame God. Do I have to spell it out for you?

Get your head out of the box, my friend. Intrepid has a vision, it's for us to explore it. Go check out the "community creations" forums, some really good lore in there.
  • Options
    MedrashMedrash Member
    edited August 2020
    @Kneczhevo

What do you mean there is no lore? Do you know what lore and history are? This is a game with a lot of lore .. it's a rpg. Lore is essential to build an mmorpg game, otherwise the entire meaning of the game is lost.

There is lore, but right now it's contradictory and incompleate, i just want to be clear is some aspects of the game. I usually don't like to discover the unknown and i don't care too much about the lore, but some parts are essential to the functionality of a game.

You cannot have a rolemodle without a world with factions and lore.