Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

A Quick Idea I Had

So, I'm assuming there will be guilds or guild nodes or something. I had an idea of a node/guild ambassador where each node/guilds ambassador meets and discuss the realm. Kinda like the Senate in Star Wars. I think this would be an interesting position to hold within a node/guild. I haven't read much on this game because I want to keep most of it a surprise, but I sure will spread my ideas if they help. =)

Anyways, what do you think about having a Senate like political structure?

Comments

• Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    First: There are 5 guild castles.
    Second: You could always do that on your own. No need to get Intrepid involved in this tbh.
    It would be funny to see a whole democratic server with intrigue, backstabbing and economic backroom deals.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    Damokles wrote: »
    Second: You could always do that on your own. No need to get Intrepid involved in this tbh.
    It would be funny to see a whole democratic server with intrigue, backstabbing and economic backroom deals.

if anyone has that, I would join
  • Options
    Damokles wrote: »

And each castle occupies 3 nodes. So 15 castle nodes will exist in the game, alongside the original 103.
  • Options
    Rhaelah wrote: »

Nah i'll just kill em.
  • Options
    GodsThesisGodsThesis Member
    edited August 2020

I am the Senate.
  • Options
    You guys realize there is a feature called "guild", right? This feature is already in game, and fits all your needs/requests.

There are a lot of material for you to sink your teeth in, to get an idea of the game. I would recommend perusing the interwebs menu for further delicacies. Enjoy your feast. Just don't vomit BS. 😁
  • Options
    Kneczhevo wrote: »
    You guys realize there is a feature called "guild", right? This feature is already in game, and fits all your needs/requests.

So, you're saying a system like the one I suggested is already in place?
  • Options

So, you're saying a system like the one I suggested is already in place?

Nice troll. If not... Yes. This feature is in ALL MMORPGs, if not most games today.
  • Options
    Nice troll. If not... Yes. This feature is in ALL MMORPGs, if not most games today.

I dont think you understand the system I'm proposing, go back and read my small post. =)
  • Options
    @Rhaelah According to the AoC wiki you be able to have guild alliances of up to four guilds.

Tier6 nodes will be so big as to one single guild would only be somewhere between 1/2 and 1/3 the total pop.

Castles will require 250 players on each side to take.
    You'll be able to build guild halls, and other social structure hierarchy have been teased.

The nodes government will be based on it's type.

Science nodes will have Democratic voting.
    Economic nodes will have a sort of economic meritocracy quite possibly even an oligarchy.
    Religious nodes will be based on your progress in your religion and dedication to that node.
    Military will have some sort of battle arena.

Could a powerful alliance of guilds have influence over the local politics? Absolutely.
  • Options
    RhaelahRhaelah Member
    edited August 2020
    @Hurf Derfman Ahh, sounds good. Not perfect, but better than nothing. =)
  • Options

I dont think you understand the system I'm proposing, go back and read my small post. =)

I totally understand what you are saying. I don't think you understand what you are asking.

I'm not trying to be mean. It's just that you don't understand, and make fanciful ideas how things work.

What you are requesting; is a game mechanic, for politics.

Politics don't need a mechanic. The players create politics. People will war and come to compromises, then war again. This is politics. Guilds will have spokespeople to communicate compromises. You don't need a mechanic for an ambassador.

There are kings and mayor's, in AoC, for a reason. To assign a leader to a node, that's all. There is no mechanic (politics), other than they control the node.

If you want the coveted "ambassador" title. I suggest you go questing, and get that achievement. Or, earn it from your guild, who will ceremoniously dub thee; ambassador. "Now get us some recruits."

If you don't comprehend what is being said. You really are naive, and I suggest you do some research before spewing out ideas.

Again, I am not being mean. It's just that I see this post; as you saying, "Nice bicycle, you should put peddles on it." They are already there.

• Options
    afarafar Member, Pioneer, Kickstarter
    I was a leader in similiar games. In old days we used forums and messaging for that, now we use discord. Of course you don't get any stupid roleplay, but that's even better because everything (including emotions) is real

So if you want politics, get involved in politics. Don't ask intrepid to do some system restricting your abilities, (requiring to speak in a certain manner let's say, or giving diplomat or ambassador title for something when nobody considers you such). You can talk whatever you want with whoever you want on third party application :)

My main concern with implemented system would be, besides security/privacy issues, possible problems with easy access and storage (difference between forums/e-mails and chat, + risk of losing it at the end of the server or at some random bug)

I talked with influential people about everything, it wasn't just some stupid roleplay, we talked more than some of my good friends, and even met in real life.
    I told it before, but for me games are not 'getaway' from reality. Instead it's more a tool to learn things, like facebook is a tool to connect with people and not to have fake personality

So reassuming, politics in AOC will be real (in terms of having real consequences of time management, noone wants to have their metropolis destroyed by some punks) and we do not need any facade
  • Options
    Politics don't need a mechanic.

That's why I'm proposing some sort of system that integrates the out-of-game politics into the game.

Take @afar and his example. He was in a similar position and he said they would use forums/discord. I would argue that when a game forces people to alt-tab its not doing its job. Chronicles of Elyria had some really interesting ideas concerning politics that kept the players in-game instead of forcing them to go out-of-game.
  • Options
    Politics don't need a mechanic.

That's why I'm proposing some sort of system that integrates the out-of-game politics into the game.

Take @afar and his example. He was in a similar position and he said they would use forums/discord. I would argue that when a game forces people to alt-tab its not doing its job. Chronicles of Elyria had some really interesting ideas concerning politics that kept the players in-game instead of forcing them to go out-of-game.

Not everything needs or should be handled through an in-game system. If guilds want to support in something like that, then they will group up to do it through IRL means.

Now, the one thiing that worries me here would be, that Ideas like these might lead to a server becoming stale, as the drive to server for sieges and wars won't be as big.
  • Options
    Warth wrote: »
    Not everything needs or should be handled through an in-game system. If guilds want to support in something like that, then they will group up to do it through IRL means..

I disagree to a degree, the whole point of having a cool system for players to use is just that. Forcing them to go outside of the game makes it more of a chore than something fun I found in-game.
  • Options
    I'd actually say if they wanted this to be more of a thing they would remove guilds from the game. The guild system kind of makes that kind of open political system impossible. Guilds are basically private cliches. They are going to favor each other over randoms making political struggles impossible.

If everyone were alone on a node to node basis and represented an actual individual. Then that kind of thing would probably just happen by default. The family system could then be the primary way to group players together which is too small to influence greater political schemes.

So it's really a choice between that or guilds because they absolutely don't work together without incentives that may not be balanced or fun. Since people are going to organize via chat anyway I don't think the guild system really has all that much value as long as the friend list in game is well made.

So if it made the game more interesting I would be willing to get rid of guilds in favor of certain fun interactions with the community. I don't think an idea like this is realistic with guilds being in the game though. The organization and favoritism they provide large player pools pretty much stomp those out of possibility.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
  • Options
    I like Rhaelah's idea and i have always enjoyed that sort of community involvement in a mmo but i don't think we need an in game system to make it work and in the end i think it would feel more natural if it just happened on its own rather than having a role/job that needs to be filled because then it could just feel forced. but idk im stoned lol
    Level ?? Humanoid