Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

[Poll] What did you think about the August Dev update?

AnansiLostChildrenAnansiLostChildren Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
With as many updates, interviews, and videos as we received in July-Early August, many new players have come to the AoC train, boosting it's hype. I am curious as to whether or not the update lived up to your expectations & hype: https://www.strawpoll.me/20847481

Let's discuss what you were either happy to see, sad you didn't see, or the Dev Update in general.

Comments

• Options
    Bro we don't need a poll for EVERYTHING
  • Options
    Where can I go to watch it?! I can’t find it anywhere
  • Options
    KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited August 2020
    @CaptnChuck Let's start a poll about if we need a poll for everything or not.

@Gengerbred Yes, this update lived up to my expectations but what I fear is delaying the game so long that it losses hype. I personally can't stand being shown texture models as an update but I know some people do so I respect that. I just want my hands on it and feel like I am being punished for not hearing about it during kickstarter haha.

@Daedrik45 I watched it on Twitch. Add the AoC discord and you will get updates and links when they show us new content.
  • Options
    @Daedrik45 Twitch live streams.
    They usually end up on YouTube.

Personally wish they'd simulcast both Twitch and YouTube at the same time.
  • Options
    DrokkDrokk Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited August 2020
    CaptnChuck wrote: »
    Let's put it to a vote...
    https://www.strawpoll.me/20848375
  • Options
    I'm liking how the Hybrid combat is shaping up to be. Hope once Alpha 1 goes out, people can improve upon it even more with feedback.
  • Options
    CaptnChuck wrote: »
    The people have spoken!
  • Options
    GruntagGruntag Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    @XerayReaper totally agree with you there. It was great to see the hybrid tab target/action in there. And I loved seeing the various animals and creatures of that small area on Alpha Island. Great animations and scenary (love the volcano in the background).

I also enjoyed the Castle and look forward to seeing what a full castle siege attempt will look like (with the closed gates, mobs outside and the use of siege equipment)

@AshesOfCreation keep it up; it is looking great
  • Options
    NelsonRebelNelsonRebel Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited August 2020
    I liked the vid overall. Great to see more of the game world and great to see the sheer amount of progress.

But, I disagree with Steven 100% on active and tab targeting. Action combat has always felt more robust and skill based than tab targeting will ever feel to me. Because you have to actually pay attention to your opponent and your surroundings as well as your reaction and pre-emptive actions to anticipate opponents while you maneuver and position your character and damage/cc abilities.

Dont know how others feel there, but combat is so very important to me because it dictates how invested I feel in every single part of the game.

If the combat doesnt feel good for action or if its removed, its going to severly hurt the game for me.
  • Options
    @CaptnChuck Weren't you the same person that reposted a poll on reddit w/o credit? I've had two poll posts in the 3 years I've been following the game lol.

My point is that I enjoy interacting with the community and finding out where people's state of mind is on the game and the results facilitate discussion. I assure you, if the people aren't feeling it they won't respond and I will fade into nothing at the bottom on the forum.

@NelsonRebel I think there is a fear with going all in on action combat as sometimes it becomes a ping war. Correct me if I am wrong but, then what one player sees, another player sees something different. It essentially gives a very slight, unless you are playing cross continent at which point it is massive, advantage to one player over another.
  • Options
    NelsonRebelNelsonRebel Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited August 2020
    Gengerbred wrote: »

@NelsonRebel I think there is a fear with going all in on action combat as sometimes it becomes a ping war. Correct me if I am wrong but, then what one player sees, another player sees something different. It essentially gives a very slight, unless you are playing cross continent at which point it is massive, advantage to one player over another.

Thats not specific to action combat.

Ping war is determined by several factors that actually have nothing to do with action combat.

The most common cause of ping is the Servers quality and quantity for players, as well as the location of players from those servers and how good their internet connections and speeds are.

The rest of the root of skill delays and ping/lag for the remainder can usually be located in the following 2 areas from what I've read and experienced in WoW, ESO, etc...

1. Player population stacking and ability spamming. This ones probably the more common of the two since the server has to calculate all the damage for all the players and all the buffs for how many people are being affected by them all in these small areas which for some reason then lags everyone else in that server. I dont fully understand why and I admit that shortfall in knowledge.

2. The games coding structure in relation to travel time skills, and character movements with abilities effects and additional functions to display to everyone the actual location of the players and projectiles/abilities as well as proper calculating the damage and effects. This is a complex issue because players have little to no control in this area. The Developers have to nail down making sure their code for their game will accurately display the location of players and their respectively launched attacks and buffs. This can also lead into issue #1 with too many players stacked too tightly that the server and code structure cant track them all in such short distances or buff quantity numbers within the space. I'm fairly sure this is one reason why New World severly restricted their server populations to just over 1000 players.

Keeping numbers low across the board for low calculation as well as health boss numbers will probably help

Players action combat though wont have a signifigant impact since you're going to see the same problems with all tab target passive combat if the servers and code are't built right.
  • Options
    Balrog21Balrog21 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I thought it was awesome, I've been paying close attention and the combat is getting better and better. The attacks have weight now to them from the last we saw any. That to me is what sells the combat and other immersive qualities.
    I noticed this on July's update with the Troll, his claw swipe had weight to it, and it just looked awesome. I noticed the added weight to Steven's toon today. The combat even feels more visceral to me as well with the improvement they've made.
    The whole action combat vs tab doesn't really matter to me as long as it's fluid and fun.
    I'm hoping someone noticed the laser beam spell they showcased last month was used by both Toast and Margaret today. It did look stellar.
    The turtle mount looked awesome as well, and so did the environment around it on the coastal encampment setting.
    I'm sure not many people noticed or paid attention to the two guys behind the turtle in the cinematic...they weren't just standing there, they were actually doing something and that all adds to the immersion...nothing kills immersion for me more than seeing a npc just standing there doing nothing. Same thing goes with a boss just sitting there standing still.(But that is a whole other topic)
    I do know we all want to see all the stuffs but they are right in only showing us a few things...I along with Intrepid want to be awed when I log in for the first time.
  • Options
    Just watched it, loved seeing the weapon arc aoe attacks and Steven mentioning different arc sizes for different weapon types.
  • Options
    CaptnChuckCaptnChuck Member
    edited August 2020
    @Gengerbred

I CLEARLY asked you to post it on reddit so that more people would vote on it. Its only when you didn't respond/do it, that I decided to post it myself. And when you replied in the comments, I made the appropriate changes. So you have no reason to complain.

Professions is a poll topic. A dev update isn't, its more of a discussion topic.
  • Options
    VarkunVarkun Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    There was a lot to like about today's live stream, love seeing the progress month by month.

Great work Intrepid team.
    3KAqRIf.png
    Close your eyes spread your arms and always trust your cape.
  • Options
    Really good dev update IMO. I've always had a big question mark when it comes to combat, and I still have, but it got a little smaller after this at least.

For someone that would prefer them just go with 100% tab target combat, I did like what I saw in terms of melee combat. Would really have to see more of actual action skills, and most importantly, ranged attacks, but still awesome.

The only thing that was a pity IMO, was the small amount of Q&A. Would have loved for them to go on a little longer, because we learn something new from almost every question answered (unlike most Q&A's)
  • Options
    @CaptnChuck
    "Let's discuss what you were either happy to see, sad you didn't see, or the Dev Update in general"

I'm not even sure what we are doing here. If you want to participate in the discussion I made the space and encourage that you do and/or do the poll, if not then that's cool too. In proper forum etiquette, the fact that a poll is present is in the title. Not everyone is comfortable writing posts or engaging in forums/reddit, so I like to provide a space to do both. But coming by just to put the post down is a waste of both of our time. I hope you have a good weekend.

@Atiqa That's something I talked to a couple people about actually. I was happy to see the hybrid system working because it means they are making progress. But in the same vein, you are right, the few questions they answered seemed a pity, and that they were more clarifications rather than giving us true new information. With so many people investing money into the game we are all so eager for information.

@Balrog21 You make some good points. Having a dynamic world is important. It reminded me a bit of Skyrim, though I know the world manager AI will be more advanced than that of course. Turtle was dope and the fire fox mount cosmetic Steven leaked was also stellar. Though I think I've always been comfortable on the art side of the game, I would like to see more mechanics. I personally gave it a 4 outta 5 because I would like to see some more lvl 5/6 node art or overviews, and at least given the 4 augment school names for each class. Doesn't have to be how it impacts the skills exactly, but at least the school names.
  • Options
    I was meh about the Livestream.

Now that I slept on it...

The turtle was cool. I liked the outreached neck and grunts. We giggled 😁

The volcano was awesome!

I was actually impressed with action combat.

I noticed Steven zoom way out. Reminded me of an isometric game, like Diablo.

Have you noticed; if you put "the" in their names, what does that imply?
  • Options
    Oh yah. Did you notice Steven clipping through the wall? He should get a ban.