Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Semi-quick question regarding the new hybrid combat video and the two camera modes

DreohDreoh Member
edited August 2020 in General Discussion
Tl;Dr at bottom

First off, thank you for recording and showing us the hybrid combat demo video! The combat looked smooth and definitely promoted a confidence in developers and combat in the community.

One thing that I was hoping would be shown that wasn't however is manually aimed projectile/hitscan abilities. In the video Steven showed he could use tab-target abilities in Action-cam which is absolutely perfect, but we didn't get to see the flipside of can we use linear projectiles/hitscan based abilities in tab-target cam?

I've brought up a few times here in the combat threads and elsewhere that I'm worried that we're going to be required to swap into third-person cam to use the linear projectile/hitscan abilities, and how that's going to create an anti-user-friendly combat feel.
The scenario that plays out in my head is lets say you enjoy the traditional MMO-camera view, are using a bow and have a linear-projectile or a hitscan ranged bow ability, and you have a tab-target heal ability. The bow auto-attack is shown in previous videos to work in tab-target, auto-tracking your target. You are in tab-target view auto-attacking an enemy and using your tab-target heal ability to heal your allies. But then you want to use your linear-projectile/hitscan ability to do some damage really quick before doing another heal, so you have to swap to third person, use that ability, then swap BACK to your preferred cam of MMO-cam and continue auto-attacking/healing.
Having to swap cameras like that is going to be very offputting, especially in scenarios like pvp where you need to be quick-fingered. Having to adjust your camera for a single ability use is definitely not ideal. I also definitely approve of both the apocalypse style combat and the tab target combat and am not advocating that either should be removed or that either is inherently bad. I'm just hoping for a smooth blend of the two and want to see this game succeed as much as anyone.

If linear/hitscan abilities can't be used in tab-target/MMO-cam, just knowing that we can use all abilities solely from the Action camera mode is a good alternative that people could get used to if they aren't used to action-style camera modes.

Tl;Dr Will we be able to use linear projectile/hitscan abilities on our tab-targets in traditional MMO-cam and have them fire at the target as if we aimed at it manually in the same vein as games like GW2? Or will we be forced to swap to third person cam to use them before swapping back to MMO-cam if it's our preferred camera mode?

Or alternatively, will linear projectile/hitscan abilities even exist?