Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Suggestion against BOTs in collectable resources

As we know, almost every MMORPG have a common problem that is an army of BOTs farming resources in world map, like mining ores/herbs/others, having a big impact in the game economy and gold sellers. My suggestion is to create a mini-game window, similar to what we have when trying to lock picking something in other games, every time you try to collect some resource. If you fail you need to wait some time (like half hour maybe), before you can try collect this one resource again, or go find another one.
The mini game doesn’t have to be difficult or time-consuming, just made in a way (procedural/random probably) that the Bots will have a low chance to success and need to wait a long time before trying again.

The mini games can be single tasks like: Hit the right spots of one mining ore image with the mouse; click in the right leaves to collect a herb; cut in the right direction to collect a pelt... Tasks that is easy to a person do, but hard to BOTs. Or even have levels of difficulty to make collecting more rewarding and less boring

Comments

  • Bots are more complex than you would think. Runescape had a ton of different random events for this reason and they ended up removing Randoms in old school because they did nothing to stop bots.
  • SeibtSeibt Member
    edited August 2020
    Reglon wrote: »
    Bots are more complex than you would think. Runescape had a ton of different random events for this reason and they ended up removing Randoms in old school because they did nothing to stop bots.

    I dont know how was implemented the Random Events in Runescape, but I believe that if the "mini-games" are generated in a procedural way, where each time is a little different, and you only have one chance to get it right or fail (the bot can't spam commands until it works). Even if they make some bots that can resolve the mini-game, just making their lives more difficult is already worth it.
    And from what I read about Ronuscape random events, they were removed because they were done in a way that was disturbing the players, like in the middle of a fight having to solve a puzzle because of a mob generated by the Ramdom Event.
  • prymortalprymortal Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Seibt wrote: »
    The mini games can be single tasks like: Hit the right spots of one mining ore image with the mouse; click in the right leaves to collect a herb; cut in the right direction to collect a pelt... Tasks that is easy to a person do, but hard to BOTs. Or even have levels of difficulty to make collecting more rewarding and less boring

    Those tasks are Easier for Bots to do. Harder for Humans to do.
    FFXIV 1.0 & 2.0 Chinese Bot tools show this.
    While I do like the idea as it was fun RNG in FFXIV 1.0 e.t.c. It has it's downsides & if this game has lose items on death e.t.c. "just gatherables" e.t.c. You will be spending more time out in the field so the risk is far higher than the reward. So in total 2 negatives against it.
  • Seibt wrote: »
    Reglon wrote: »
    Bots are more complex than you would think. Runescape had a ton of different random events for this reason and they ended up removing Randoms in old school because they did nothing to stop bots.

    I dont know how was implemented the Random Events in Runescape, but I believe that if the "mini-games" are generated in a procedural way, where each time is a little different, and you only have one chance to get it right or fail (the bot can't spam commands until it works). Even if they make some bots that can resolve the mini-game, just making their lives more difficult is already worth it.
    And from what I read about Ronuscape random events, they were removed because they were done in a way that was disturbing the players, like in the middle of a fight having to solve a puzzle because of a mob generated by the Ramdom Event.

    Dangerous mob spawn were only a small fraction of the random events. If that was the problem then they would have just removed those three or so events and left all the rest.
Sign In or Register to comment.