Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Question about the overland map

DarkGlaiveDarkGlaive Member
edited August 2020 in General Discussion
The map is kind of strange, IMHO. Everything else looks absolutely stunning. I understand the way it is implemented that it is a bit translucent and the cone represents the direction of characters, with dots - creatures. But, there is no landmarks or demarcations/indicators of structures of nearby buildings, mountains, fountains, large area landmarks, etc. It seems it is just a "modern" version of the old square/bordered overhead maps of previous games - like NWN or Baldur's Gate etc. True, it is "rennovated" from that old crude version but it lost it's sense of purpose, in my honest opinion.

EDIT: Also there is no compass, and the only other thing on there are the lines (veins?) representing roads. So, basically the white veins (for roads/paths) and a bunch of dots for creatures.
I think they should take it off the main screen, as it is a superfluous structure impeding full screen graphics, and put it as a quick key - say - "M" and bring up a second screen that you can drag around or maximize or minimize etc. that shows all the structures, the compass, the character, which way he's heading, and some names of important waypoints / denominating factors.
₣ɄⱤłɆ₴

Comments

• Options
    CaptnChuckCaptnChuck Member
    edited August 2020
    The map hasn't been completed yet. Its just a basic overview of the regions and stuff. So don't worry, they'll add more to it.
  • Options
    unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    As has been repeatedly stated. All parts of the UI are placeholder and in many cases are there to help the developers see if placement/density of spawns is working correctly. There has been no final determination if everyone will have access to those exact mini-map options or will be utility dependent <speculation> a ranger has utility to reveal nearby spawns on the mini-map like in other mmos. There was also talk in early development of certain professions/social organizations/and achievements affecting how information is displayed.
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • Options
    DarkGlaiveDarkGlaive Member
    edited August 2020
    Ah ok I see your point @unknownsystemerror . Although I was wondering if we'd get a good map, not how many times it was repeated, boss. There you go.
    Too bad they don't have dusters as an item.
    ₣ɄⱤłɆ₴