Weapon Swing Particle Animation and Frontflip jumping

(about 8.27.2020 update)
The particle effects and animations itself seem a bit extreme to me.
When Steven swings his sword, there were those fire particle effects everytime.
Is this an elemental augment to the sword swing or is this baseline?

Most of the animations I've seen this far looked all pretty over the top to me.

My thought on that is, if everything is glowy and shiny and explodes in effects,
the animations don't seem to be as epic as some of them could be.

That the magical abilities have those effects is reasonable,
but pure melee combat abilities shouldn't get so much of a visual effect.
Maybe more like a stronger sound design for example. (except if it is augmentet with some kind of magic)

And if I'm not mistaken here, it seemed like the dwarven model from toast were front flipping when she jumped
and I'm really not a fan of fancy jumps.

But this is all my opinion.

I would love to read what the community thinks about this.

Please share your thoughts.

And please don't be to harsh to my english,
I'm not quite an artisan on that topic yet.

Havo

Comments

• DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    You will be able to scale the VFX effects to your preferences.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • I agree for what is supposedly a primary spam the effect trail was a little over the top, and it's an odd contrast to alpha level animations.

Also, I think dwarfs flip? 🤷
  • I agree on this as well, I don’t understand why they have those effects on the basic sword attack. I hope it’s for some elemental effects he has somewhere, otherwise it just seems weird to have it.
    And I also agree that too much flashy things will maybe make your special attacks less special looking. I don’t know, maybe they will still be fine, but I would prefer it with less effects.
    I know this is the first pass of the effects and they will probably change, and I know you can scale back the effects in the settings, but I just want to comment so they get some feedback. In the end it’s up to them and I will still play the game no matter what, but maybe if more people think that they should change this they will change it.

Also, yes you could scale it back, but what if I just want to do that on some abilities and not all, how will that work? For example just no effects on the basic attack but normal effects on the abilities.

The jumping isn’t really a huge problem for me, but if I hade to decide between lots of unrealistic acrobatics or normal jump, I think I would prefer normal jump in this game because of the style it has on the characters. (Maybe okay on rogues, but not on a tank, and so on)

And just to be clear, I have never been a fan of eastern games like Final Fantasy and BDO because of the flashy effects, animations and art style. It’s just a person preference and it’s really subjective and I totally understand if people don’t agree with me on this.
    Member_Baconbread.png
  • Hurf DerfmanHurf Derfman Member
    edited August 2020
    I was watching some more footage from the pov of a cleric. The heal has a ton of effects, and it's almost like a flare going off.

I was like oh just what a healer wants in PVP, a "oh look at me enemy I'm da healer".

Then it hit me.

The sword effects are tells so when you're attacked you'll see the area of effect.
  • MarcetMarcet Member
    edited August 2020
    Effects are 100% too much!!! Swords should not have orange particles all around, just a simple air effect when moving. Like a melee metal weapon.

And I don't care if you can scale it down by settings, it looks horrible baseline.
  • Potato BasketPotato Basket Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Agree

Currently it might seem like a completely out of tune instrument

But we'll have to play it first and experience it's integrity

It's supposed to be designed around group play, what we've seen is like a portion of a single note or key

Too early and too little to draw these conclusions
  • IzilIzil Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited August 2020
    I dont mind front-flipping for dwarves, but the rest i agree with 100%. Hopefully we will be able to toggle off these particles on swings.
    Izil.png
  • I kind of agree with the effects. But we will have the ability to tone it down, so that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

As for fancy jumping, I kind of want it to be weight based. So if you're wearing heavy armor, you only get a normal, slightly lower jump. But if you're wearing cloth, then you should be able to have a fancier, slightly higher jump.
  • CaptnChuck wrote: »
    I kind of agree with the effects. But we will have the ability to tone it down, so that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

As for fancy jumping, I kind of want it to be weight based. So if you're wearing heavy armor, you only get a normal, slightly lower jump. But if you're wearing cloth, then you should be able to have a fancier, slightly higher jump.

What you've said about the weight for jumping really hits it for me aswell,
    further I would prefer if a Tank or heavy armor class would not have the ability to barrel roll.
    That a rogue has this would make more sense to me
    (still not a fan of dodge roll in general if it is baseline)
  • Please note that this is a very early iteration on animation and effects. This will get better over time. Or, if not, we will get used to it... :)
  • We're just giving feedback to the devs,
    and I dont want to get used to something that the (maybe) majority of ther playerbase doesnt want.
  • @Havojin Tell em! He's been copy-pasting that everywhere. xD
  • If you actually looked, most of them were slightly different. I am just answering the same question from different people with the (pretty much) same answer. Which is actually answering the questions. Sorry for trying to help...

And the answer is still true. We will have to wait until we are several more iterations through the design / animations / effects / etc. And yes, we can comment / give feedback / complain, and that will help guide the iterations to make this a better game. If you are complaining that I said it a few times, what have you said to the devs? They mention the same answer multiple times in each stream. :)