Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Tab Targeting vs Other

I forgot the name as I’m writing this but you all know what I mean. But what’s gonna be more appealing about tab targeting over the form of combat and vice versa? Tab targeting is gonna “always hit” and the other form has a chance to miss obviously, it caters more to aimers depending on what weapon you’re using. Will bows or spells be able to deal headshot damage? This may have been touched on I didn’t really delve into the forums that much to find outz

Comments

• Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Well, i think that some people (like myself) just like a more fast paced melee combat for one.
    (It is called action combat btw^^)

"Previously it was stated that headshot mechanics may be implemented in the MMORPG along the lines of a higher critical chance and that they would not be one hit kills.
    Headshots in action combat are equivalent to a critical hit in tab targeted combat.
    Players relying on tab skills will have a fixed critical hit chance every time they use an ability or weapon.
    Players using action-based skills are going to rely on getting a head shot or hitting a critical spot on the opponent.
    "
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    They cancelled the headshot mechanic.
  • Options
    Headshot mechanics were scrapped.

Action Combat effects tend to have stronger / more potent effects on the abilities, which aren't just related to DMG though.
  • Options
    TalentsTalents Member, Intrepid Pack
    So far we know that the action combat will do more damage overall, as well as having hard cc abilities (like stuns). Tab target will do less damage overall and only have soft cc abilities (like slows).
    nI17Ea4.png
  • Options
    Think of tab as "auto hit". But if you're in "action combat", you will do more damage, but might hit less. Remember, you can't go100% tab/action. I believe 80/20.
  • Options
    thank you all for the responses, I was hoping us aimers would be rewarded with action combat.
  • Options
    AtiqaAtiqa Member
    edited August 2020
    Kneczhevo wrote: »
    Think of tab as "auto hit". But if you're in "action combat", you will do more damage, but might hit less. Remember, you can't go100% tab/action. I believe 80/20.

And that part about 80/20 is what still confuses me a lot.

Like if you want to go 80% tab target and 20% action, and you want to play in the "tab target mode" (without crosshair). If the action combat is more like APOC with actual aiming, how would that work for tab target mode?

Switching between the modes sounds like a really weird way to do it, and the crosshair mode has the advantage of being able to both aim and target others.

Wish they would just settle for one combat mode whatever that ended up being.
  • Options
    I prefer to click, target and 1v1 a mob. Like old MMOs. Not aoe in every atack.
    I don't like skill based combat on an mmo I like pure stat checking, I dont want people beating bosses at lvl 1 cuz they dodge everything. I know people disagree but its my opinion.
  • Options
    bigepeenbigepeen Member
    edited August 2020
    Marcet wrote: »
    I prefer to click, target and 1v1 a mob. Like old MMOs. Not aoe in every atack.
    I don't like skill based combat on an mmo I like pure stat checking, I dont want people beating bosses at lvl 1 cuz they dodge everything. I know people disagree but its my opinion.

I prefer the opposite. I think making the attack an aoe will make it more possible for a outnumbered person or group to fight back against a zerg.

I think lvl 1s soloing bosses isn't really a problem if it is even possible. First of all, it would take the lvl 1 forever to kill a boss, second, you could easily out-damage or kill a lvl 1 to steal the kill, and finally if fighting the boss involves fighting any trash mobs then it would basically be impossible for the lvl 1 to dodge every attack.
  • Options
    SeloSelo Member
    Talents wrote: »
    So far we know that the action combat will do more damage overall, as well as having hard cc abilities (like stuns). Tab target will do less damage overall and only have soft cc abilities (like slows).

And thats what im afraid of. I dont want either type becomes a requirement and seeing messages like:
    "looking for 1 more dps, action combat only"
    Affiliate Code:
    0dbea148-8cb8-4711-ba90-eb0864e93b5f
  • Options
    They cancelled the headshot mechanic.
    kuddah wrote: »
    thank you all for the responses, I was hoping us aimers would be rewarded with action combat.

i agree 1000% good perspective from aoc pioneer. Thanks for insight and speculation.
  • Options
    JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    kuddah wrote: »

What reward would you want? Ignore the devs current plans/known features.
    Riding in Solo Bad Guy's side car

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Yhr9WpjaDzw