Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Building engagement to the world of Verra

HarmtouchHarmtouch Member
edited August 2020 in General Discussion
Hey!

I have been following Ashes of Creation from the first time I saw TheLazyPeon's video. As so many others, I feel that this game could be "it", but I am so afraid that the steam could run out before we get started.

That is way I wrote a post on one of @Paradox Gaming Network's video where I asking him if he knew of any plans of how to retain the hype for the game?

Just a little backstory: As I wrote on his video, I have worked for Funcom a while back, on a mmo named "AoC" ;) (Age of Conan). We had a sister team that worked on this other really cool mmo named "The Secret World". This game had three factions with very different moto, style and attitude. A good while before the game launched, a mini game was released where people would answer a series of questions to help them pick "the right" faction for them. In the end, everyone was presented with the three choices, and the faction you picked unlocked a game where you could level in rank from quests, learn more about the faction you picked and so on. This was a really strong strategy for building engagement for the game and for you faction. The feedback as great and the people loved it, so this is why I wanted to share/remind you guys so maybe could do something similar.

Steven have said the we will get our hands on the Character Creation before the launch, but what about something deeper?
I would like something that make me feel that this new world is "home", and to do that I need to know that story.

I think for example a lore game would be great, why things are the way it is, that the characteristics of the races are, what class would feet me if I have "this or that" mindset, attitude or style?

This post is just meant as a suggestion or brain storming, and I hope it can be inspiring.

Best regards,
Harmtouch

Comments

• Options
    Age of Conan, ya I was there (my fingers still hurt, from the combat sytem). I dislike Ashes of Creation, using the same acronym. But, what can you do?

I feel you are asking a bit much, as much as I like the idea.

The Character Creator, is because the system is so complex, they feel people want to design a toon before they are stuck with it, once they start (as you can't change your appearence after creation, like race and primary archtype, or your name).

Age of Conan had excess staff, and they needed hype. Intrepid is still hiring, and to much hype.

I want more, too. But I want good game first.
  • Options
    Gameplay comes first, that's for sure.

But I think we're in the same boat in the sense that we are hoping for a game that immerses us in the world and story as much as the game has satisfying combat and solid mechanics.

It's something I felt, has been missing from modern massively multiplayer role-playing games in that they have become more fixated on action and reward systems rather than immersion and storytelling.

My hope is that Ashes of Creation at least, with the node system and class-archetype system, gives us the tools to create our own stories and immersion.
    ezgif-3-b7b5eae89b.gif
  • Options
    Thing is. We are arriving as a clean slate. We really don't have a lore. It's for us to create. This alleviates the hassle of conflicting lore (which most MMOs do.), for the devs.

I say; make your own lore and share it. The devs and community, will eat it up! The material is there.
  • Options
    Thanks for you responds! :)

As for the "We really don't have a lore." that is not correct. There is a backstory that explain what happened before we (the player) entered Verra and why thing are the way it is.

I think you also are over complicating my suggestion.
    The example that I wrote about from the Secret World was a web page, with basically pictures and text.

For a mini game that tells the lore of AoC, you don't need to have some expensive 3D graphics game. You would come a long way with moving still pictures and text, tho “story time with Steven” where he is reading the lore would be great 😀. The pictures used in the mini game could be already made art for that main game.

I completely agree with you guys that this should not be done at the expense of the main game, but I do think it would be a beneficial parallel project, that could have some reuse function in the finished main game at the end. For instance, you could find this mini game in libraries or taverns maybe?

Also, as @Paradox Gaming Network suggested in my post on his video, this type of game/story telling could be used in different types of personal character building, like what class and race you should play.
  • Options
    JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    I would 100% love to see them do something like this.

I sort of liked the way Eve Online did it in the original version where they asked questions and you ended up with an race, sub race, school, etc.

Guild Wars 2 intro is pretty slick.

And @Harmtouch to get me its @Jahlon some guy named Paradox is probably like Why am I being pinged.
    hpsmlCJ.jpg
    Make sure to check out Ashes 101
  • Options
    TwangTwang Member
    edited September 2020
    Could form smaller backstories for how the gods interacted with different cultures when they were in balance as sortve filler before you have to decide on key story changes.

Short stories of hypothetical characters before the world became corrupt, no names may be needed just heavy imagery. Could be completely seperate from any god involvement and just a way to grasp someone’s imagination of a race better

Maybe when the world is abandoned to the corrupt, tidbits of how animals evolved or were made extinct.
  • Options
    nidriksnidriks Member, Warrior of Old, Kickstarter
    The only problem I foresee with this idea is how Steven has said he wants to keep the lore under wraps and let the players discover it. I can not help but agree with that idea.

Sanctus is something I think we could see more on however. I don't know about a game, but maybe some stories, comics or just artwork on Sanctus. Build up to the release of Ashes with tales of life in Sanctus. Maybe they have this planned.

As for engagement. Well, I don't envision the community losing any engagment with the project. Intrepid have been on the ball with monthly livestreams since kickstarter. If anything, since the Peon video engagement has been stronger than ever.

I do like what you're suggesting though. I think Sanctus is key.

• Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I know what you mean about the hype coming too early.
    They're handling it well, though - laying low so it dies down and doesn't get dragged out.
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited September 2020
    I said a while ago that I think one of the best things Intrepid could do is release an adventure game (similar to Myst to those that remember it - though my first thought in regards to that now dead genre is either Full Throttle or Phantasmagoria).

As a genre, it is fairly easy to develop. Make it Andriod (maybe iOS - but I wouldn't want to deal with Apple) so you have cheap distribution, and the whole thing can be done on a fairly small budget.

If the story is rich enough, and if Intrepid are able to get some press on it, it could be a good way to build some hype in the months leading up to full release.

If they get the right people behind it, they could even look at putting one out ever 6 months or so to keep people engaged with the games lore as it develops.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Hey,
    Time fly's soon a new year. Thanks for all the responses, fun to see that others think a like. I have also hear that Steven want's the lore to be basically open, but that dose not prevent an identity of the races and classes? :)
    As @Noaani states, this dose not have to be an expensive thing. You can come a long way with animated effects on already existing artwork, maybe some cool layered images that moves. Pretty easy and very effective.
    To @nidriks, I agree, it dose not have to be a game, but then again, games come in many forms. The best thing with games compared to videos is the engagement from the viewer/user.
    Hey @Jahlon , thanks again for your great videos. I try to watch most of them, but I have not see any where you bring up this topic, any chance you will?

Agian, thanks guys for the answers,
    Soon Mary Christmas!

Best regards,
    Harmtouch
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    This is an example of the type of graphical expression that I am believe would work well:

8d82cf049d3ec0a1222e1505cbc1ffab.gif
  • Options
    ILLPeonUILLPeonU Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Steven has many visions, whch I love, that being said for a launch all I want is a solid core game, I'm patient enough to wait for the other content to come out slowly. I just don't want a repeat of camelot unchained or star citizen where it takes sooooooo long to come out, the fact that I'm here talking about it means I have left the other 2 simply becuase they could not get the game out in a timely manner.
    TwitchTV Streamer: The Hidden Dagger Inn Saturday's 5:00 PM Cst
    7wg8px59ktyc.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/@TheHiddenDaggerInn/featured
  • Options
    I definitely understand what you mean. The project is at risk when you have the model of transparency from early development. But if fits Steven's model of risk vs reward. :) Hehe.