Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

[Megathread] Animal Husbandry, Animal Hybrids and you

deadmanspricedeadmansprice Moderator, Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
Lately, I've been noticing the picture spams on Discord showing animal hybrids. It's been becoming more frequent, so I'm making a megathread for all the future images regarding the animal hybrids, desired animals bred through animal husbandry and so on here. Please do spam these images here rather than clogging up on Discord. Especially for the people who often frequent VC
volunteer_moderator.gif

Comments

• Options
    XenelliaXenellia Moderator, Member, Alpha One
    I'll get the ball rolling then!

Flying ferret!
    ddls59s-a3e0bd18-bb42-4d50-ae08-260a98137790.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOiIsImlzcyI6InVybjphcHA6Iiwib2JqIjpbW3sicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvNjZjN2QzYWMtMTgzMS00OWE0LWFkNzUtNzgxOTU5NmQ2MjE4XC9kZGxzNTlzLWEzZTBiZDE4LWJiNDItNGQ1MC1hZTA4LTI2MGE5ODEzNzc5MC5qcGcifV1dLCJhdWQiOlsidXJuOnNlcnZpY2U6ZmlsZS5kb3dubG9hZCJdfQ.pohoS9iI0B-5PowL597h8MXmeEGhdosncHcId0pyKU8

Winged whale!
    il_794xN.2369933118_n2c1.jpg

I've also made a couple myself!

Cryphon
    0dgcxJa.jpg

Owltelope
    mOnav8f.jpg

Horpion
    yzdzUPa.jpg
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options
    Xenellia wrote: »
    I'll get the ball rolling then!

Flying ferret!
    ddls59s-a3e0bd18-bb42-4d50-ae08-260a98137790.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOiIsImlzcyI6InVybjphcHA6Iiwib2JqIjpbW3sicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvNjZjN2QzYWMtMTgzMS00OWE0LWFkNzUtNzgxOTU5NmQ2MjE4XC9kZGxzNTlzLWEzZTBiZDE4LWJiNDItNGQ1MC1hZTA4LTI2MGE5ODEzNzc5MC5qcGcifV1dLCJhdWQiOlsidXJuOnNlcnZpY2U6ZmlsZS5kb3dubG9hZCJdfQ.pohoS9iI0B-5PowL597h8MXmeEGhdosncHcId0pyKU8

Winged whale!
    il_794xN.2369933118_n2c1.jpg

I've also made a couple myself!

Cryphon
    0dgcxJa.jpg

Owltelope
    mOnav8f.jpg

Horpion
    yzdzUPa.jpg

Please keep 'em coming!
  • Options
    nidriksnidriks Member, Warrior of Old, Kickstarter
    @Xenellia You are incredibly talented. I love the Owltelope.

The models are wonderful, did you 3D print or mold?
  • Options
    XenelliaXenellia Moderator, Member, Alpha One
    nidriks wrote: »
    @Xenellia You are incredibly talented. I love the Owltelope.

The models are wonderful, did you 3D print or mold?

Thank you! I didn't make the scuplts, only the 2D arts, if you click on the names of the sculpts I linked to the original artists ^^
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options
    I must gallop into siege upon this terrible beast.

The Penguitten
    animal-hybrids-482.jpg
  • Options
    This is the megathread for Animal Husbandry, though, so far, it has been ideas for specific types of animals.

What I'd like to offer is a possible system for the in-game process that can make those ideas a reality, based on an existing process that may or may not be easily adapted.

Since the Tulnar race will be having "dials" to boost certain visual aspects of their character through the character creation process, I suggest using that same base system with the Animal Husbandry process.

The tool would need to be adapted for this, of course, with limitations in place, so that subjective realism is allowed based on your design philosophy.

For example, you could take a horse and a cow, and during the process of breeding them, you would have several dials that would allow the processor to customize the look to be how they desire the outcome to be. There could be notches in the dial so that the processor could write down the information for future breeding and there could be a higher range of changes allowed based on the rarity of the animals used during that specific breeding process.

The benefits of this would be that the design team wouldn't have to design each individual creature that may be desired by the player base. Also, the players could have custom breeds to sell/trade since they have the dial settings (or whatever positions are used within the setting process) that made those animals possible.

This would have a much higher dev time ratio to create the tool from the start, though it would save time, in the long run, allowing players to have a higher range of creations to be discovered and shared if the tool has a lot of different types of alterations that could be used that couldn't easily be replicated if the specific settings weren't known to that specific processor.
  • Options
    I find the idea for mounts within the game good but also bad. What's with the added depth to raise a mount and/or care for it when you can pull it out of your ass whenever you want? The way BDO handled mounts was very good, one of its best features. Mounts should feel like an actual animal you have with you like in BDO, you can have them follow you with their current plans for Ashes, but why do they just disappear into your pocket? It's dumb.
  • Options
    deadmanspricedeadmansprice Moderator, Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Creo wrote: »
    This is the megathread for Animal Husbandry, though, so far, it has been ideas for specific types of animals.

What I'd like to offer is a possible system for the in-game process that can make those ideas a reality, based on an existing process that may or may not be easily adapted.

Since the Tulnar race will be having "dials" to boost certain visual aspects of their character through the character creation process, I suggest using that same base system with the Animal Husbandry process.

The tool would need to be adapted for this, of course, with limitations in place, so that subjective realism is allowed based on your design philosophy.

For example, you could take a horse and a cow, and during the process of breeding them, you would have several dials that would allow the processor to customize the look to be how they desire the outcome to be. There could be notches in the dial so that the processor could write down the information for future breeding and there could be a higher range of changes allowed based on the rarity of the animals used during that specific breeding process.

The benefits of this would be that the design team wouldn't have to design each individual creature that may be desired by the player base. Also, the players could have custom breeds to sell/trade since they have the dial settings (or whatever positions are used within the setting process) that made those animals possible.

This would have a much higher dev time ratio to create the tool from the start, though it would save time, in the long run, allowing players to have a higher range of creations to be discovered and shared if the tool has a lot of different types of alterations that could be used that couldn't easily be replicated if the specific settings weren't known to that specific processor.

It's a megathread for both animal husbandry and animal hybrids (for discussing animal husbandry, potential hybrids and for users to spam the animal hybrid images).
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options
    Should I remove my response and post it as a new thread?
  • Options
    Creo wrote: »
    Should I remove my response and post it as a new thread?

Nah, make use of this thread. It's good for discussion and as you can see on the name of megathread, I mentioned animal husbandry. would like to see more of that topic
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options
    AryielleAryielle Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I was told by a mod to spam this thread instead! ITS ALL HIS FAULT

hybrid-animals-3.jpg

animalHybrids36.jpg

tumblr_mzobdnQh3p1spsu7jo1_400.jpg

ea2a0b48565d506648bb3cd68d73b0e3.jpg

df59db325a19a8da927791c29bf0b1ca.jpg

942d52efad89d8a6af9e1d1adcf5a4ab--manipulation-photography-photo-manipulation.jpg

fbe2a9f4b1e631e0d8c04934add8c0bc--insects-pictures-zoo-animals.jpg

77148b8726c206c185c6a40c185e36c3.jpg

f26237f9e89635b5ce808245006756be.jpg

10-fake-animal-hybrids.jpg
  • Options
    72473f61457b7507e8a85269cb082ee6.jpg

c084f2229dd44fb1eab403850893cb10.jpg

221ba2b83c8375b16546da168c9c22a1--dove-bird-strange-animals.jpg

600651f41e66e8072bcac8bc2c1e5969--photoshopped-animals-manipulation-photography.jpg

bfc73f339f6a20e33e3b08c2e7c4f5aa.jpg

62982cd9e9b3e7e264837477e2b9f895.jpg

8326e2d8fb08e6febd21e5c01a822293.jpg
  • Options
    Aryielle wrote: »
    72473f61457b7507e8a85269cb082ee6.jpg

c084f2229dd44fb1eab403850893cb10.jpg

221ba2b83c8375b16546da168c9c22a1--dove-bird-strange-animals.jpg

600651f41e66e8072bcac8bc2c1e5969--photoshopped-animals-manipulation-photography.jpg

bfc73f339f6a20e33e3b08c2e7c4f5aa.jpg

62982cd9e9b3e7e264837477e2b9f895.jpg

8326e2d8fb08e6febd21e5c01a822293.jpg

Perfecto
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options
    Some of those are absolutely gorgeous.

I'm no where near good enough with photoshop to come up with any.
  • Options
    NINTCHDBPICT000563669030.jpg

animal-hybrids-towl.jpg

f35596c7151c124665e6efde02ca0bcf.jpg
  • Options
    VoidwalkersVoidwalkers Member
    edited September 2020
    Can we have more details on the "depth" of the breeding / genetic mechanics?

Say, on a scale of 1 being pure RNG, 10 being winning-post level complexity, how complex / deep will AoC's breeding system be?
    (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winning_Post, a Japanese racing horse breeding game series, in which you can keep track of a horse's ancestry back several generations, and often you have to breed generations and generations of horses just to get the perfect pairing that will give birth to a super horse. Later iterations of the game often include ~tens of "breeding theory" rules that could influence a horse's parameters)

And for example, let's say I've acquired a group of local stallions, and after a few generations of selection for speed I've run into a local maxima, where my breed of horses are fast, but so fragile that they're useless for caravans (I recall from wiki, mounts bred in AoC can be used for caravans, yes?). Then I learnt that some 20-30 nodes away there's a breed of obsidian stallion with reasonable speed, but high armor and health. I go out of the way to acquire a few of them and bring them back to my stable to create the perfect breed of fast & sturdy caravan horse --- will this kind of game play be possible?
  • Options
    Holy shit, a flying whale would be awesome. Massive in size (larger than a dragon) casting a huge shadow on the ground while flying.
    As a swim/flying mount hybrid instead of a land one. Why did I not know that I need this...