Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Number of skills per class

hi all, im very interested in AoC.
So im coming the long way from GuildWars back in 2005 and made it to AgeofConan which i both enjoyed a lot. Both games did a good job in pvp and pve. Since then i visited a lot of mmos but never got that satisfied again. Im sry if i create another thread but i searched and cant find one similiar.

My big question mark is how many skills a class got. In the last presentation there were just a few skills which we can transform or change in our favor. But this seems to me really small. I loved the hundreds of skills in GW and i never seen that again.
This is making a bit nervous because they said they dont want "dead skills". So if i only got a lot of different classes and every class can only be played in this way.... i dont know. I absolute disliked TESO for this. I know it moved a bit from that but i also played TESO from start.

Thats for me atm the big question.

Comments

• Options
    CaptnChuckCaptnChuck Member
    edited August 2020
    They have previously said that you may have UPTO 30 skills if you choose to invest all your skill points into unlocking abilities. However you could also instead choose to invest all your skill points into 10 abilities and unlock 3 ranks for each instead. So you will have the option to go wide or deep.
  • Options
    Hey, thanks for your reply. Thats exactly whats confusing me! It could be all good but im really afraid of that all classes are forced to play one specific style. Not sure if this is the case. So im super excited for upcomg presentations :-)
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    anotherone wrote: »
    Hey, thanks for your reply. Thats exactly whats confusing me! It could be all good but im really afraid of that all classes are forced to play one specific style. Not sure if this is the case. So im super excited for upcomg presentations :-)

I mean, there are 64 classes, which means 64 different playstyles. And thats without factoring in your ability to invest skill points into passive skills (like health regen, mana regen etc), weapon skills, and finally the type of gear that you choose to equip.

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Skills#Passive_skills
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Skills#Weapon_skills
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Armor

So there is a LOT of variety in AoC.
  • Options
    Thx for the links! Thats a start. Maybe im wrong but for me there not so much combinations per class. I know all in all 64 combinations of classes but in the end im playin one at the time so...
  • Options
    Thx for the links! Thats a start. Maybe im wrong but for me there not so much combinations per class. I know all in all 64 combinations of classes but in the end im playin one at the time so...

Let me try to explain.

Say you pick Battle Mage (Mage Primary + Fighter Secondary)

There are different types of Battle Mages.

You could be a super tank Battle Mage. You could do this by investing skill points into passive skills like heavy armor and block, and by wearing heavy armor.

You could be a tanky, regen based Battle Mage. You could do this by wearing heavy armor and by investing skill points into passive skills like health regen, heavy armor passive etc.

You could be a tankier, dodge based Battle Mage. You could do this by wearing medium armor and by investing skill points into passive skills like dodge, medium armor etc.

You could be a nuclear dmg Battle Mage. You could do this by wearing light armor and by investing skill points into passive skills like Elemental etc.

You could also be a more balanced Battle Mage. You could do this by wearing medium armor and by investing skill points into passive skills like block, dodge, elemental etc.

So there are SEVERAL different ways to play your class. Tanky, Tanky/Regen, Tanky/Dodge, Glass cannon, Glass cannon/Dodge, Balanced etc. That's a lot of variety in my opinion.
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Race is also supposed to have an impact on play.

Just note that while Intrepid claims that there are 64 classes that’s just semantics. You really have 8 classes, each of which can be augmented 8 different ways, and while those augments will have significance it won’t completely change your play style. It will tweak some of your skills to have different effects but I believe that’s it.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    ok, does it mean gear is top prio then?
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Atama wrote: »
    Race is also supposed to have an impact on play.

Just note that while Intrepid claims that there are 64 classes that’s just semantics. You really have 8 classes, each of which can be augmented 8 different ways, and while those augments will have significance it won’t completely change your play style. It will tweak some of your skills to have different effects but I believe that’s it.

I want to pick a race that I like and not one that better suits my combat style. Hence why I didn't include it.

But yes, if you do want to do that, yes races will also impact your characters stats. They will also give you unique racial abilities.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    ok, does it mean gear is top prio then?

Isn't gear always top prio in an MMO? So I'm not exactly sure what you're referring to here.
  • Options
    yes it is and Its for sure content too and should be neccessary to progress through the game but i ment with top prio in referring to the skillset. So Is gear the most importent part?
  • Options
    CaptnChuck wrote: »

Let me try to explain.

You could be a super tank Battle Mage. You could do this by investing skill points into passive skills like heavy armor and block, and by wearing heavy armor.

You could be a tanky, regen based Battle Mage. You could do this by wearing heavy armor and by investing skill points into passive skills like health regen, heavy armor passive etc.

You could be a tankier, dodge based Battle Mage. You could do this by wearing medium armor and by investing skill points into passive skills like dodge, medium armor etc.

You could be a nuclear dmg Battle Mage. You could do this by wearing light armor and by investing skill points into passive skills like Elemental etc.

You could also be a more balanced Battle Mage. You could do this by wearing medium armor and by investing skill points into passive skills like block, dodge, elemental etc.

So there are SEVERAL different ways to play your class. Tanky, Tanky/Regen, Tanky/Dodge, Glass cannon, Glass cannon/Dodge, Balanced etc. That's a lot of variety in my opinion.

So i think i didnt made it clear, sry english is not my first language. (I´ll try my best)
    So if i will play as a healer, how many heal skills i will have? Am i wrong here? Am i supposed to use that particualr skillset then?
  • Options
    edited August 2020

Let me try to explain.

So i think i didnt made it clear, sry english is not my first language. (I´ll try my best)
    So if i will play as a healer, how many heal skills i will have? Am i wrong here? Am i supposed to use that particualr skillset then?

Every class will get upto 30 abilities. You can invest more than one skill point into one ability to unlock different ranks for that ability, upto 3. So you can either get 30 skills, or put 3 points into 10 skills. Those will be your active skills.

You can further adjust your play-style by investing points into your passive skills. You can also adjust it by wearing different types of gear.
  • Options
    AardvarkAardvark Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

Let me try to explain.

Every class will get upto 30 abilities. You can invest more than one skill point into one ability to unlock different ranks for that ability, upto 3. So you can either get 30 skills, or put 3 points into 10 skills. Those will be your active skills.

You can further adjust your play-style by investing points into your passive skills. You can also adjust it by wearing different types of gear.

Where did you read that as I understood what he said to be at max level you have 30 active skills from a much larger selection
  • Options
    Aardvark wrote: »

Let me try to explain.

Where did you read that as I understood what he said to be at max level you have 30 active skills from a much larger selection

I remember reading it on the forums some day. They said that even if you go wide, you will only have somewhere around 30 or so abilities.

As for the 3 skill points in 10 skills thing, I was just giving an example.
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One

Let me try to explain.

I remember reading it on the forums some day. They said that even if you go wide, you will only have somewhere around 30 or so abilities.

It also matches how crafting will be; you can become a master at one branch but only mediocre in others. Or spread it out and be adequate in multiple areas but not great in any of them.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    KneczhevoKneczhevo Member
    edited September 2020

Let me try to explain.

Not knocking you friend, and I might be wrong. But, I believe the 30 they were referring to; was number of hot keys.

I do try to avoid these topics, because all is still in testing. Best resources on this are at AoC wiki and Paradox101. There are skill class abilities on those sites, just not all classes shown, or details.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Kneczhevo wrote: »

Let me try to explain.

I do try to avoid these topics, because all is still in testing. Best resources on this are at AoC wiki and Paradox101. There are skill class abilities on those sites, just not all classes shown, or details.

Yea of course, everything is subject to change as the game is still in pre-alpha. But I don't think that its unreasonable to expect at least 20 or so abilities at max level.