Additional races?

NikaiNikai Member
edited September 2020 in General Discussion
Just curious as to what peoples thoughts are for the complete version of the game, would you be happy with the races out now? Do you want more? What races would fit lore wise and still be awesome and not some cutesy little WoW panda/fox that makes me wanna puke?

I love the direction classes are going in this game, it feels fresh after the limitations of other games and I'd love to see more of that same depth in races. The duality of races currently feels great and leaves the window open for additional factions within those races.

I personally want to play an orc straight away because it feels the least human and I'd love to see expansion of the games far from human race design. AoC is so fresh I feel like there is the oppurtunity to do some creative shit with races that will set it apart even more from the standard.

Edit: Forgot to mentionthe Tulnar which of course is an awesome idea I cant wait to hear more about.

Comments

• VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I just want to see a lot of character customization options within a single race that would give the effect of having a sub race. What I mean by this is that I would like to be able to make one of the elfs, look like a dark elf. White or silver hair, red or purple eyes, blue gray to black skin. Boom, dark elf. No need to add extra lore or racial balancing. Just let me look how I want.

Wow has a billion flavors of elf, and to this day the only one that looks good to me is blood elf. They don't give you enough control over facial features or skin colors. They are saying that they are aiming for BDO tier character customization or higher. I never played BDO because it looked like a bigger WEEB game than FFXIV, but the videos I have seen of character creation look great to me.

As long as they don't make character creation too restrictive. We should not have to ask for more races. Unless you want to be a furry, in which case I think everyone would be happier if someone made a solid redwall MMO with a nice big forest for you to frolic in with your own kin...
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Hell yeah give us all the sliders.
    And agreed, furries crept into wow and 90% of other mmos and its the worst. Its the same sort of crappy art shift that happened from D2 to D3. Bring back gothic, dark worlds that put you a bit on edge pls.
  • AtiqaAtiqa Member
    edited September 2020
    I'd rather have 1 race with endless customization than 12 races with a tiny amount of customization.

12 races with endless customization is obviously better :smile: but that's not realistic.

If they deliver what they have said, BDO level of customization with those races/sub-races, I think that's more than enough. It's amazing actually.

I really hope it won't be too long until we see more of races and character creation.
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    One Word: Tulnar.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • If the Tulnar end up being whats being idealized of them rn then you're right, it will be a lot better than 12 other races. I'm hoping there are a lot of options available for breaking up the overall silhouette of your character. Big immersion breaker for me is when the 40 main raid team all have basically the same height and body shape. I wanna be a giant orc warrior that looks like it could punt a dwarf across a metropolis.
    Nikai wrote: »
    If the Tulnar end up being whats being idealized of them rn then you're right, it will be a lot better than 12 other races. I'm hoping there are a lot of options available for breaking up the overall silhouette of your character. Big immersion breaker for me is when the 40 main raid team all have basically the same height and body shape. I wanna be a giant orc warrior that looks like it could punt a dwarf across a metropolis.

What I could imagine for Tulnar would be a three sided slider.
    One corner would be Humanoid (Dark Elf most likely), the next would be Mammalian (SKAVEN FTW!) and the last would be for Reptilian (Old ones know best!).

Height could be mainly dependent on your three sided slider and you could then adjust that additionally with the real height slider.

It was always good fun in GW2, I am a 2m tall male and my best friend is a 1.5m tall female. I picked the smallest size for Asura as a Guardian-Tank and she picked the biggest size for a Norn as a Ranger.
    I was as tall as her knee. xD
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • TwangTwang Member
    edited September 2020
    They said they weren’t gonna do Goblins but, Goblins...
    Man + fish ? Like Hellboy, or is that included in reptilian side of tulnar.
  • Great BraeGreat Brae Member
    edited September 2020
    I wouldn't mind seeing trolls being in. It would help make 2 monster races (orcs, trolls) 2 human races (humans, elves) And the oddball between (dwarves) feels nice. Talnar feels like it fits the mix-breed quota well. and I will be rolling it if the customization works in my vision of my toon.
  • PlagueMonkPlagueMonk Member
    edited September 2020
    Damokles wrote: »
    If the Tulnar end up being whats being idealized of them rn then you're right, it will be a lot better than 12 other races. I'm hoping there are a lot of options available for breaking up the overall silhouette of your character. Big immersion breaker for me is when the 40 main raid team all have basically the same height and body shape. I wanna be a giant orc warrior that looks like it could punt a dwarf across a metropolis.

What I could imagine for Tulnar would be a three sided slider.
    One corner would be Humanoid (Dark Elf most likely), the next would be Mammalian (SKAVEN FTW!) and the last would be for Reptilian (Old ones know best!).

Height could be mainly dependent on your three sided slider and you could then adjust that additionally with the real height slider.

It was always good fun in GW2, I am a 2m tall male and my best friend is a 1.5m tall female. I picked the smallest size for Asura as a Guardian-Tank and she picked the biggest size for a Norn as a Ranger.
    I was as tall as her knee. xD

Ah Damokles, you brought a tear to my eye.

Must have been a speck of dust though because Skaven don't cry! Queek!
    isFikWd2_o.jpg
  • I wil always treasure and miss FFXIV's lalafell. But I can see why people wouldn't want them... still I love those short chubby balls of cuteness.
    "Magic is not a tool, little one. It is a river that unites us in its current."

I heard a bird ♫
  • I'll have to wait and see how the character creation is fleshed out. I'm excited to learn that it will launch ahead of the game so we can spend as much time as we want before launch creating and customizing our avatars.

Personally I hope there is an option to let your character be gray-scale, no colors; just black, white and ever shade of gray. I love creating/playing characters who look like they walked out of a black-and-white photo. :p
    ezgif-3-b7b5eae89b.gif
  • The races seem amazing so far can’t wait to get to experience them!
  • Super excited for early character creation too, I always end up hating my launch main because i rush creation to try stay ahead of the curve.

Trolls feel like they could be a cool fit, eepecially after the possible goblins tease. Fitting them into the lore could be as simple as trolls being a elf/goblin interbreeding 😂 A tauren/minotaur sort of race could also be cool but as mentioned before Tulnar could fill that role too. With enough sliders.
  • VolgaireVolgaire Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    With racial skins being a thing it seems we will have a lot of 'races' that are purely cosmetic like you want to play a vampire? here is a racial skin to make you look like one without the need to create a separate race for it.
  • sounds good to me honestly, as long as things dont get too anime, id like the art to stay fairly gothic/medieval
  • Nikai wrote: »
    Super excited for early character creation too, I always end up hating my launch main because i rush creation to try stay ahead of the curve.

Trolls feel like they could be a cool fit, eepecially after the possible goblins tease. Fitting them into the lore could be as simple as trolls being a elf/goblin interbreeding 😂 A tauren/minotaur sort of race could also be cool but as mentioned before Tulnar could fill that role too. With enough sliders.

That is what i liked about the PnP rpg game call Palladium. Unfortunet when we were about to switch to that game, our pnp roleplaying died out. You could play the more moster races like, ogre, orc (not half-orc), kobold, goblin, troll. And others. But it did come with disadvantage. You would most likely be the first to be blaimed if something happened, in the human settlements. The bigger onces required more food. Plus you requried bigger equipment, which would cost more, just due to its size. If you could even find the gear or get one to make it for you. You might get charged more for the things your purchased. But the increased size of the gear also mad the weapons do more damage
  • I'd like too see at least one or two races for each big character famillies found in fantasy world.

Human : all the differents tribes you can imagine from Barbare to Erudite.

Elfes : High elfe, sylvan elfe, half-elf and obviously Drow (dark elfe).

Petite folk : Dwarf, Hobbit, Gnome.

Anthropomorphic : Reptilian, Big mammals (big cats, bears, wolfs, ...), Frogs (like the Froglok from EverQuest).

"Monster" : Orcs, Trolls, Ogres, Goblins.

Or maybe just make what I call "Familles" a unique race and all the subraces can be differents morphs use for customization.

• NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    I personally think EQ as a franchise basically had all the races you would want covered.

There were the normal array of sizes and types of humans and elves (3 types of elves, 3 types of humans and hald elves), then there were halflings, dwarves and gnomes, cat people, rat people, lizard people and frog people, as well as ogres and trolls. Over time they also added a freakish combination of the lizard and frog people, as well as small cute flying fairies, and evil fairies. Then they released a vampire race (which I am not a fan of - vampires should be a state of being, not a race), and a race of draon people of some description.

In terms of Ashes, the first thing I can see missing are very small races. The Dwarven races don't seem to me to be all that small, and small races can be popular - though I am not sure how this would work in a PvP game with action combat.

To me, the Tulnar seem to have the bulk of the "monster" type races covered, at least from an aesthetic perspective (I'm sure proponents of this type of race disagree) - and they also seem to be the race that will fulfill the "large" role in regards to races.

To me though, the reason question I would have to ask is - if Intrepid added a new race, what story would they give us as to why that race wasn't in Sanctum?
  • I just hope IS has some sense regarding appearance. Take NW for example, characters are so ugly. The human female is horrendous. I could say that there are way too few customization options but I feel it's much more important to get a good foundation and faces are so ugly in NW. :|
    "Magic is not a tool, little one. It is a river that unites us in its current."

I heard a bird ♫
    GunnLady wrote: »
    I'd like too see at least one or two races for each big character famillies found in fantasy world.

Human : all the differents tribes you can imagine from Barbare to Erudite.

Elfes : High elfe, sylvan elfe, half-elf and obviously Drow (dark elfe).

Petite folk : Dwarf, Hobbit, Gnome.

Anthropomorphic : Reptilian, Big mammals (big cats, bears, wolfs, ...), Frogs (like the Froglok from EverQuest).

"Monster" : Orcs, Trolls, Ogres, Goblins.

Or maybe just make what I call "Familles" a unique race and all the subraces can be differents morphs use for customization.

Humans? Check .
    Elves? Wood Elves and High Elves, Check.
    "Petite" Folk? Dwarves in polynesian and typical mountain dwarf format available.
    Anthropomorphic? Most likely check, we will have to wait and see for Tulnar.
    "Monster"? Orcs are a yes, available in berserker japanese and erudite majan flavours.

Tulnar are currently planned to encompas three different races, where you will pick how much of each you will have in your character. (Humanoid, Most likely Drow. Reptilian. Mammalian, I hope for Skaven-like ratmen)
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Noaani wrote: »

To me though, the reason question I would have to ask is - if Intrepid added a new race, what story would they give us as to why that race wasn't in Sanctum?

This could be explained any number of ways; From some races taking their own unique path off the planet (maybe they missed the initial departure window and had to find some other way off the planet?), to extra dimensional shifting (so they actually stayed on the planet but safe from the cataclysm), to even a race that put themselves in suspended animation through magic means in some deep, dark cavern. Maybe even an undersea race that was not going to be effected by the things happening above?

Lots of possibilities.
    isFikWd2_o.jpg
  • KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Hell yeah give us all the sliders.
    And agreed, furries crept into wow and 90% of other mmos and its the worst. Its the same sort of crappy art shift that happened from D2 to D3. Bring back gothic, dark worlds that put you a bit on edge pls.

Gothic/dark/evil/hellish are always so gripping and offer a ton of potential into an untapped area in MMO's since they do turn into fluffy unicorns eventually. I can do WITHOUT cult style stories or lore. I feel that is played out imo.
  • NikaiNikai Member
    edited September 2020
    PlagueMonk wrote: »
    Maybe even an undersea race

Hell yeah, with the amount of sea based content we should get an aquatic based race
  • i just want Steven to ban all anime kitten girly child characters people make
    Rhadek wrote: »
    i just want Steven to ban all anime kitten girly child characters people make

Terra... *shudders violently*
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Noaani wrote: »

This could be explained any number of ways; From some races taking their own unique path off the planet (maybe they missed the initial departure window and had to find some other way off the planet?), to extra dimensional shifting (so they actually stayed on the planet but safe from the cataclysm), to even a race that put themselves in suspended animation through magic means in some deep, dark cavern. Maybe even an undersea race that was not going to be effected by the things happening above?

Lots of possibilities.

All of these - other than an under sea race - would have left an impact on the six races that went to Sanctum. Assuming we have any stories at all from the last time we were in Verra, we should have stories of these races.

This is why I am unsure how they will make it work whe they inevitably do add new races. Anything that was on Verra when we were last there is something we should know of.

The only real thought I have had is that Verra could be their Sanctus. When Verra is habitable again, and corruption of the world has died off, maybe it moved on to their world. When they opened up a portal to a new world to escape the corruption of their world - as we opened up a portal to Sanctum to escape Verra a long ti.e ago - the world that portal leads to is Verra.

This would be a great way to add in 4+ races at once.
  • Noaani wrote: »
    Noaani wrote: »

Lots of possibilities.

All of these - other than an under sea race - would have left an impact on the six races that went to Sanctum. Assuming we have any stories at all from the last time we were in Verra, we should have stories of these races.

This is why I am unsure how they will make it work whe they inevitably do add new races. Anything that was on Verra when we were last there is something we should know of.

The only real thought I have had is that Verra could be their Sanctus. When Verra is habitable again, and corruption of the world has died off, maybe it moved on to their world. When they opened up a portal to a new world to escape the corruption of their world - as we opened up a portal to Sanctum to escape Verra a long ti.e ago - the world that portal leads to is Verra.

This would be a great way to add in 4+ races at once.

It could also create tension, and double the lore