Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

What is your favourite raid boss?

What is your favourite raid encounter from any MMO you've played? You can take it from any angle you want and describe the whole fight and what made it so great for you.

My most favourite fight of all is Lady Vashj in wow. She has three phases, where the first one is very simple to juggle tanks on her and heal through her aoe lightning. Second phase is a coordination and dps check to kill 3 different types of mobs that periodically spawn around the room. First one is a gigantic tenticle monster where you need to keep slow debuffs on it and have ranged caster kite it around the room, because anyone that gets close to it gets feared. Second type of mob is a simple naga warrior and the only danger he has is big cleave so nobody can be around the tank that has these mobs. Third type of mobs are water elementals that spawn every few seconds around the whole room and if it gets to Lady Vashj it sacrifices itself to give her a damage buff. Throughout this phase Lady Vashj does nothing, but is in invulnerable stasis that can be canceled by disabling four pillars around her. That can be done by looting a key from special green elementals that spawn only in the far corners of the room and once you loot it you are unable to move and need to throw it to another raider until it is tossed like hot potato to every pillar. Once all pillars are down Lady Vashj is released and does the same things as in first phase (aoe lightning, juggling of tanks), but now in addition she spawns flying adds that spit poison on the ground and have to be killed fast otherwise there will be no room left to stand on. Also in prenerf version she was periodically mindcontrolling random raiders for 20seconds.

So overall I love this fight more for the nostalgia (also she was big warcraft3 lore character) and the memories of killing her as first hard progress boss I've been part of, because it is quite a simple fight for today's standards, but still is better than simple tank&spank.
“Ignorance, the root and stem of all evil.”

― Plato

Comments

• Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited September 2020
    Four rune Rhoen Theer.

People either know the fight and have had the councelling, or don't know the fight.

I also enjoyed Gynok Moltor - even though the fight itself was fairly straight forward. It was an interesting mix of AoE and single target, and allowed me (a single target DPS) to compete somewhat fairly with a good friend of mine who was an AoE DPS specalist. It was the only fight in about 10 years of raiding where the two of us were somewhat evenly matched, and we both enjoyed trying to beat the other.
  • Options
    TheLegend27TheLegend27 Member
    edited September 2020
    Close between Avatus from Wildstar's Datascape Raid and Atheon from Destiny 1's Vault of Glass raid.

The latter is mainly because of the nostalgia involve - created a lot of funny memories on that broken game.
    The former is purely down the mechanics. Avatus needed a lot good group Synergy to pull it off, easy to mess up and can be difficult to recover. The adrenaline throughout the entire encounter (especially the final DPS Phase) has been unmatched for me.

Honorable Mention - Riven from Destiny 2:
    Killing the boss is not the end. You had to go and carry it's heart to be "destroyed" but Witches lol. Haven't seen something like that in a regular MMO before
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Killing the boss is not the end. You had to go and carry it's heart to be "destroyed" but Witches lol. Haven't seen something like that in a regular MMO before
    Archeages Leviathan.