Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

About mages concept in AoC

Hi guys, I'm highly curious about mages in AoC. Is there any concept of how it's going to be?

I have some ideas and wanna share it to you. What if magicians are separated by elements? I mean, when you pick up your subclass, you choose one of the elements to master, such as: earth, water, wind or fire.
Just as an example:

Mage+Guardian = earth mage:
- damage with rocks, sand and earth;
- not as mobile as other mages, but has pretty good resistances;
- can buff others to increase their resistances.

Mage+Mage = fire mage:
- the best damage dealers between mages, obviously damaging with fire and magma;
- not really stoic to damage.

Mage+Cleric = water mage:
- damage with water and ice;
- has pretty good control effects;
- can increase the speed of boats and ships;
- might be stronger if it's raining or snowing, and if he's close to water or snow.

Mage+Rogue (or Ranger) = wind mage:
- damage with wind;
- can increase others' movement and mounting speed;
- the most mobile amongst mages, has a lot of options to avoid damage.

All of the same elements might also work for summoners:
Summoner+Guardian: can summon earth atronachs, Summoner+Ranger can summon wind atronachs and so on.

Also, I have one more idea for mages:

Mage+Summoner = portal master:
- can create different types of portals to teleport his teammates:
a) portal for two players: quick cast, low price, short cooldown (somewhere between 3 or 5 minutes)
b) portal for a group: longer cast, more cooldown
c) portal for a raid: very long cast, needs a lot of magicka to create, has very long cooldown, might be easily interrupted (to prevent its overusing while sieging);
- this type of mages might be pretty rare, because they have to sacrifice their damage or other abilities comparing to other classes, to be able to teleport people between nodes;
- might take advantage of this, for example, taking money to teleport unfamiliar players (I just see how Portal Masters staying at the main square of a node selling their services)
- highly required in big guilds.

Comments

• Options
    What do you guys think about it? Please feel free to share your opinion here:)
  • Options
    CaptnChuckCaptnChuck Member
    edited September 2020
    We don't know much about classes yet. But I doubt its going to be like what you suggested.

I don't think they plan on making different mage classes control different elements. I believe every mage related class will have elemental abilities/an elemental augment school. This is all speculation though, as we don't have any concrete info.
  • Options
    We already know base mage has fire spells and a pack hole spell (from dev footage).

There is also some info on the official wiki about the class. But mostly we are waiting to see.
  • Options
    Hmmm... Let me clarify my point.

I know there is no official information. What I wrote above is my personal vision of a perfect mage in MMO. My dream, if you wish. And I would like to see your point of view. How do you see mages? And what does it mean to be a mage in MMO?

Who knows, maybe some of our ideas would be taken by Intrepid Studios eventually:)
  • Options
    Prefers to see kinda Swordsaint or EldrichKnight - agile mage-master of close combat with "ethereal" weapon(or even armor)...
  • Options
    ZaeruZaeru Member
    edited September 2020
    vorch21 wrote: »
    Prefers to see kinda Swordsaint or EldrichKnight - agile mage-master of close combat with "ethereal" weapon(or even armor)...

Very interesting! Do you expect it to be a magical-based damage sword?
    Something more or less close to this I saw in Aion. There is a support class named Chanter. It wears mail armor (something between medium and heavy) with magical stats and uses staves dealing physical melee damage (only chanters and healers may use a staff there, mages go with spellbooks and orbs). It's primary role is to buff his teammates. Was one of my favorite classes in Aion:)
  • Options
    AardvarkAardvark Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    No read the wiki it’s clear from what’s listed you will have multiple elements as one of your passives is the more you change your element the more damage you do
  • Options
    MarzzoMarzzo Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Nope, it won't work like that.

But, if you want, you can put all your points into only 1 element and become a fire/frost etc mage.
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I liked Avatar: The Last Airbender also, but this game isn’t that.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    Atama wrote: »
    I liked Avatar: The Last Airbender also, but this game isn’t that.

It's not about Avatar. It's kinda classic representaion of magic in fantazy worlds, that has never been presented in MMO (at least I do not know any MMO-game with a system like this).
  • Options
    VolgaireVolgaire Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I have to say hard pass for your idea as far as I am concerned, never like dividing mages into elemental schools. When I think of mage+mage(Archwizard) I think of someone who is capable of casting any spell without restrictions, a glass cannon that dedicated their life to studying magic.
  • Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Main class Mages will have these elements:
    Fire - AoE and dot
    Thunder/Electricity - Single target and stun
    Frost - Slow effects and battle field control
    Arcane - Teleportation, mobility etc

These are at least available if you choose Mage as your secondary class as augmentation choices.
    a6XEiIf.gif