Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Anyone worried that Tanks and Healers won't be as fun to play as?

I've noticed throughout the many MMOs I've played(FFXIV, GW2, SWTOR, Albion Online to name a few) that most people always role as DPS, and complain that playing a Tank or Healer is overall dull and boring. Now, I'm not one of those people, I LOVE to play Tank and soak up damage for my teammates, makes me feel like a badass; but I won't deny that sometimes I do feel that being a Tank becomes monotonous at times, especially when all we do is typical "tank and spank".

The times I've played Healer, I've enjoyed it too, probably more so than Tanking; by the fact you have to manage your party's health pool, which can make things pretty fun and hectic in certain situations. As well as, the feeling that you're the only one that decides whether someone dies or lives, gives me a rush.

My point in all this, I can't deny that when playing a DPS, you don't have much to worry about other than kill, kill, and kill. Which in turn, seems to make it more fun because of the big numbers and high damage output all the time. I've found myself eventually playing more of my DPS jobs/builds in MMOs just because it seems to be a lot more flashier than most of the Heals or Tanking skills/abilities I've come across; the only game that's come close to making everyone's overall abilities look great is FFXIV.

I feel like I might have not really gotten across what I'm trying to say, but I just hope we won't just see a horde of DPS out numbering Tanks and Healers in AoC. Because, even in FFXIV there's an overabundance of DPS compared to Tanks and Healers that queue up in their content, which they've tried to fix by adding more Healer and Tank classes, but it's still more-or-less the same. Of course AoC isn't FFXIV and are both designed totally differently in terms of how classes will work, so there's that.

Sorry for the rambling, I hope that made some sense, and I'm curious what everyone else here thinks on the matter.

Comments

• Options
    That is a big fear of mine but not out of anything I've seen of the game so far, just in general. Out of BDO, ESO, GW2 (didn't play far), FF14, Archeage, and I suppose Destiny, The Division, and Warframe (might count) the only games I felt good playing a tank was the Division and FF14. In the Division I felt like it took a lot more effort to take me down in a gun fight I could 1v2 (when the dumb pvp system didn't un-flag players who were actively trying to murder me) meanwhile in FF14 I could actively feel the weight of being a tank, the party didn't move without me, the healer had to keep healing me, we had to watch how much aggro we pulled and when the dps did something stupid and got himself killed pulling more aggro we barely survived cause I had cross classed as a paladin for self healing and between my healing and the white mage healing we managed to hold of the pulls until the dps could get back to us. Personally what makes tanking fun to me is that feeling of taking all the damage and the dynamic actions of pushing mobs off your party or pulling them to you. Dynamic CC as a tank feels real nice in clutch situations.
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Personally looking forward to paying healer. I like the added challenge and responsibility.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    They've already said that gear will make up 40-50% of your stats.

I already like the look of the tank skills on the wiki.

Just means I'll have dps gear instead if a dps offspec. That's fine by me.

So no, I'm not worried.
  • Options
    No.
  • Options
    I worry about something slightly related but different. I actually personally really like playing as a healer, but I do worry that my class choice and augments won't be enough to keep me leveling/questing solo at a decent rate. I also don't want to constantly have to respec my class to be an effective healer.

So I just hope they have some decent way to be a sufficiently good tank/healer in dungeons+group content while still being sufficiently good at solo questing without a big resource commitment. I would like to focus on crafting/gathering outside of group content and I'm not convinced (because there isn't enough info out there yet haha) that I could comfortably do that alone as a healer/support archetype. I'm still debating starting as a cleric or not just due to this concern actually.
  • Options
    Kazan TennoKazan Tenno Member, Intrepid Pack
    I agree with you OP. I main WHM/AST on FF and I am really hoping that Ashes will let us do damage and keep busy as a Cleric.
    Join us in the Underworld. Join Irkallu.
    Irkallu discord: https://discord.com/invite/CB3ZrnD
    c5eKKDy.png