RNG in our loot

What are peoples opinions on just how much should be random when it comes to our loot. Not a fan of WoWs system of RNG rolls on top of the chance to actually get the loot you want.

Dont mind the idea of upgrading it after getting it, as long as its a player process that isnt boring af.

Also not keen to see loot boxes like the ones previewed on New World or any of the ones from WoW (besides the classic treasure chests that everyone used to /roll for).

TLDR; Just one RNG roll on loot drops pls, sorting of said loot after the drop makes it hard enough to get what i want

Comments

• Based on the difficulty you've qualified for you will have a predetermined loot table with small chance on completed items, but the majority of loot will be in the form of "hunting certificates" and crafting materials that will be the bulk of the reward for killing a boss.

I'd encourage you to go through the wiki and read about it, especially the quotes from interviews. That will help you draw a picture for the game
    “Ignorance, the root and stem of all evil.”

― Plato
  • Yea, but there will also be this rng based upgrade system everyone without gambling addiction actually hates.
  • BaSkA_9x2BaSkA_9x2 Member
    edited September 2020
    RNG is a way for games to time-gate progress in a game.

Regarding loot dropped from monsters, I don't hate personal loot and individual RNG rolls, but I don't think it builds a sense of community and communication. Therefore I'd rather have RNG loot along with a need before greed/dkp/master loot/other options, which is what Ashes will have.

Regarding RNG in crafting, I do not like it. When I say Crafting I mean the whole process of turning mats into processed goods then turning them into finished items. Unless the RNG involved in crafting is minimal affecting at most 5% of an item's gear score/power, I would rather have no RNG in crafting.

Regarding RNG in upgrading gear, be that enchantments, plusing, addings gems, whatever the system may be, I think that's healthy for a game. You can get lucky and it makes your day, even though you can also be unlucky and never be able to succeed upgrading something. Maybe that's gambling and many people don't like it, but simply make it also affect gear score minimally, maybe 5~10% improvement.

Since most of the gear won't be bound on equip/pickup, I think some RNG is acceptable, but adding too much can be very harmful.

Regarding lootboxes, I don't mind having them in irrelevant systems such as cosmetics (like CSGO cases). However, Steven despises lootboxes, so I think we're not gonna have any.
    🎶Galo é Galo o resto é bosta🎶
  • VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I don't think you will have to worry as much about loot drops being your choke point to good gear. The crafting system is said to be the primary source of tired gear. With the ingredients to make the gear coming from drops. The other source of gear is the "Side grades" from religion.

-Crafted items will be on par with best in slot items.[24]

I am just speculating on this, but I think the weapon drops are going to be super rare like Lineage 2, and the bulk of gear and gear repair items is going to come from the crafting system. I can't find a direct quote to support this, but when Steven talks about AoC he also describing L2 a lot of the time.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • The enchanting system will be fun, where you have a chance to damage or even destroy the item past a certain enchant threshold :D. High risk baby haha.
  • RNG in crafting is amazing system if you can put a LOT of mats to ensure the best outcome.

For example using 1small gem has 1% to get the best outcome, but if you get hold of 50gems then you can get the best outcome without the RNG roll
    “Ignorance, the root and stem of all evil.”

― Plato