Class mechanics and UI

Valento92Valento92 Member
edited September 2020 in General Discussion
So, how are each class identity mechanics going to be fleshed out and presented?

One really good example of how to envision mechanics in a visual way is Guild Wars 2. You have skill options to slot in healing/utility/elite and while main skills are locked per weapon I'd like to point out specifically mechanics skills. It is very easy and smooth how an elementalist attunements and capabilities are presented, just like a guardian tomes, mesmer illusions, necromancer death shroud, etc. The way mechanics are built on that game makes it incredibly seamless to understand the basics, the UI provides a unique way to assess what your class can do.

It would be really interesting if the UI and class design teams worked together to come up with such well structured presentation to a class core identity. Again, I'm not saying the class mechanics and skills are perfect in that game, what I'm saying is that the way class mechanics are presented is very well done and should be based upon.
"Magic is not a tool, little one. It is a river that unites us in its current."

I heard a bird ♫

Comments

• To be honest we have some information on what type of skill levels are going to look like, but most of these things are going to be revealed in the public alpha. There are many ways on how to do this thing right, but I expect that the skills are going to enhance the archetype immersion
    “Ignorance, the root and stem of all evil.”

― Plato
  • It will probably be up to you and your play style. There are 46 different classes not to mention the races and gear that will probably be updated and expanded over the years. So it's very possible that each class/race/gear combos will each feel very distinct and immersive, might not be. Stuff like that is hard af to create and even harder to balance in an mmo. Even if they do suck initially though, which I doubt, the game can still be updated and they already said they don't charge for expansions.
  • I wouldn't go that far, because in the end you have only 8class themes, but then you can either double down with the same theme or borrow something from the other 7
    “Ignorance, the root and stem of all evil.”

― Plato
  • Hum.. my question is regarding UI and presentation, not balance. I'm just hoping they come up with a beautiful UI to support the various class mechanics instead of solely relying on skill/buff names and descriptions. It's not that high priority but yeah I hope they give the game look 'n feel a little love.
    "Magic is not a tool, little one. It is a river that unites us in its current."

I heard a bird ♫