Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Possible Solutions for PvE Difficulty

13»

Comments

• Options
    TyrantorTyrantor Member
    edited September 2020
    I find it sad and embarrassing for me to even post in a PVE thread but i'll offer a few more points (not targeted at anyone so if you feel the need to quote this and go into some dismal rage by all means)

1) If your guild is large enough to fight these super elite dungeons and mobs, it's likely large enough to form a second group that can, get this, defend the PVE group from PVP.

how would that work you might ask? Well PvE group (A) of 8-40 players clears their way through dungeon, second group(B) 1-X,000, follows or waits at dungeon or room entrance and denies entrance to any non-alliance guild, or only lets in groups too small to reach group A.

2) It's possible that there will be multiple guilds/groups present within dungeons at all times not engaging in PvP because corruption, and then they may risk losing their gear and items they are there to get in the first place. It's also unlikely that many of these groups will have a goal to reach the boss level, or even have the ability to reach that room in the dungeon.

3) You may just need to put big "boy" pants on and play a PvP game for what it is. Since I'm sure you're going to feel attacked by this let me clarify it further. You may be required to have a civil conversation in game with another party, group or possible threat that requires some form of decency that some of you fail to show on these forums. If you want to tell everyone to shut up and you're there to do the thing regardless of what they think on your way in the dungeon, they may show you the short road back to respawn, or they may decide to interrupt your super special boss mob PVE experience. See how putting on your pants might help?
    Tyrantor
    Master Assassin
    (Yes same Tyrantor from Shadowbane)
    Book suggestions:
    Galaxy Outlaws books 1-16.5, Metagamer Chronicles, The Land litrpg series, Ready Player One, Zen in the Martial Arts
  • Options
    CaptnChuckCaptnChuck Member
    edited September 2020
    @Tyrantor

1) When you face the enemy guild, they will have both their PvE and PvP squads with them. Your PvP squad will be outnumbered, assuming that the guild is of a comparable size to yours. This is because if your PvP squad gets engaged upon, when your PvE group is clearing the dungeon, they won't be able to help you.

2) Again, we don't know for sure if dungeons/raids give you corruption for killing players as these are intended to be contested zones.

3) I'm a PvPer. I will happily PvP all day. But I don't want to constantly PvP when I'm doing a dungeon/raid. Is contention good? Absolutely. But only upto a certain limit. If I'm constantly focused on fighting off other players, and I'm not able to actually experience the challenge of the PvE content itself, that can get boring real quick. That's how it works for a lot of people as well. Obviously, this should not apply to the highest level dungeon/raid content.

YOU, @Tyrantor , need to learn to properly participate in a discussion before you tell other people to do so. If you respond to my thread indecently, as shown below, I will do the SAME thing to you. Don't expect to get away with being a c**t.
    Tyrantor wrote: »
    I figured out a solution you can use to make PvE more difficult.

Remove your weapons and armor.

GL
  • Options
    TyrantorTyrantor Member
    edited September 2020
    CaptnChuck wrote: »
    @Tyrantor

YOU, @Tyrantor , need to learn to properly participate in a discussion before you tell other people to do so. If you respond to my thread indecently, as shown below, I will do the SAME thing to you. Don't expect to get away with being a c**t.

GL

Considering the tone of your OP and telling people on the forums to shut up within it I'm not sure you can point a finger on this one buddy.

p.s. your response above to my points was so pathetic I'm not even concerned about responding to that - it gave me a good laugh lmao.

Tyrantor
    Master Assassin
    Book suggestions:
    Galaxy Outlaws books 1-16.5, Metagamer Chronicles, The Land litrpg series, Ready Player One, Zen in the Martial Arts
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    @Tyrantor

GL

Considering the tone of your OP and telling people on the forums to shut up within it I'm not sure you can point a finger on this one buddy.

p.s. your response above to my points was so pathetic I'm not even concerned about responding to that - it gave me a good laugh lmao.
    @Tyrantor

You should rephrase. My tone to YOU. No one else was rude even when they disagreed with me. They explained what was wrong and why they disagreed. You on the other hand, wanted to appear superior with your highly "intellectual" replies. This entire thread is filled with you, first making an indecent reply, then being wrong about caravans, then proceeding to make senseless comments about everything else.

Now do us all a favor, and stick to not responding to this thread as you clearly have nothing to contribute. I said it in my previous reply to you, and I'll say it again, Get Lost :smile: .
  • Options
    Get Lost :smile: .

Maybe you should ask the dev team to create an instanced forum that you can play in by yourself while you're on topic.

Tyrantor
    Master Assassin
    Book suggestions:
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Get Lost :smile: .

Maybe you should ask the dev team to create an instanced forum that you can play in by yourself while you're on topic.

Yikes. You just keep proving to others that you don't even know what you're talking about, and that you CLEARLY haven't read my post. Stick to what you said @Tyrantor , and stop posting on this thread. Man up and follow your own words before you ask others to pull their pants up.
  • Options
    Who are these others you speak of? Are we making up imaginary friends now? Are they with you in some far away instance right now? Are you safe?

Yikes. You just keep proving to others

Tyrantor
    Master Assassin
    Book suggestions:
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Who are these others you speak of? Are we making up imaginary friends now? Are they with you in some far away instance right now? Are you safe?

Yikes. You just keep proving to others

Anyone who actually my read post; which obviously excludes you.

You, @Tyrantor , are only interested in falsely accusing me of wanting instancing. You have to resort to enforcing this false theme, as you don't have any strong arguments to back yourself up.

Straighten your spine worm. But I don't expect anything more from scum like you, so no point in telling you that.
  • Options
    You do understand, or maybe you don't as it appears. That my only replies in this entire thread have been in regards to instancing? The entirety of your post does not concern me and most of it or rather all of it's not even worth the read.

You're insults are pretty sad to be honest but I see why you need instances to protect you from reality of your actions.
    Tyrantor
    Master Assassin
    Book suggestions:
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    The entirety of your post does not concern me and most of it or rather all of it's not even worth the read.
    Thanks for confirming it for me @Tyrantor . It was pretty obvious that you hadn't read my post at all. Cuz if you had, you wouldn't be falsely accusing me of wanting "instancing". Only one suggestion had partial instancing, the last one. The one that I clearly said was highly controversial. I personally think that its the best solution, but I know that a lot of people disagree with me and that there's damn near 0 chance of it being implemented in game.

Other people respected my opinion, and moved onto discussing the solutions that we agreed upon, which were the key and the multiple entrance solutions. @Bricktop also directed me to a well detailed post, that explained fix no. 4 which was specialized, engage-based, instancing mechanics for bosses. These are all great solutions as well.

Just because I think that one is better doesn't mean that the others aren't nearly as good. I'm completely ok with either one being in the game. A lot of people, excluding you, understood this. That's why you're the only one talking about instancing on this thread.

Also if you read my post in the first place, you would know that I am a PvPer and not a PvEr. I, however, have friends unlike you, that play and enjoy PvE content. Hence why I made this post.

You might be right, but considering you failed to acknowledge my post in your other thread that's still present on the 1st page of these forums because you were too busy board warring that you needed to create a 2nd thread with the same topic, I really don't think this thread is deserving of my initial post.
    You started this whole unnecessary argument, by trying to appear over-smart. This thread is a lot different from the previous one, both in terms of content and in terms of the way that the content is presented. And yet you acted butthurt because I didn't respond to your initial reply. Just go through your replies to this thread. What exactly did you contribute to this discussion apart from making an indecent comment, being wrong about stuff, and then going on a massive pointless argument with the OP? Nothing. Just a whole load of nothing.

GL
    Haha ok my bad I might have had a little too much of the tavern ale this night. Really thought I read it somewhere that we would have to sign up for defense or attack on caravan's some where. - like as a way to "flag" as a combatant.

If you have the time, I suggest you go back, start over, and read through everything all over again. That's the only way that you can understand exactly what I was trying to convey in this thread. Also, learn to be respectful when you disagree with others so that they will respond to you similarly as well. I don't expect a kid like you to understand any of this, but I hope for your sake that you try. This is my final reply to you, and unlike you, I'm going to keep my word.
  • Options
    I appreciate you spending all that time quoting irrelevant text at this point. I responded to someone in the thread not your OP, there is not requirement that every reply has to be specific to the OP. You can go read your OP as many times as you want, but if you want to take my replies out of context because they do not correlate with your OP then that is your problem. You get outraged every time someone posts anything negative or contradictory to having instanced PVE and it takes away from your OP by in large you hi-jack all of your own threads by going full board warrior on every single reply that doesn't agree with something you've said even if the reply has nothing to do with your OP obviously.

Get a grip on yourself and it's possible people will take more time to provide constructive feedback to your points. You've yet to acknowledge being wrong and you're so caught up in your own disillusion that you can't take anything without trying to poke a hole in it if it has merit or not.

The example I gave above regarding having a second group. Your great thoughtout defense of this to try and negate it was "well the other people will have more people". You know this for a fact? What if Guild A has 200 people there, now it's a foregone conclusion that the other guild will have exactly 200? If they have only 50 does it make my point relevant? If they have more people, then guess what you lose.

OR

Going to my 3rd point you open dialog with them and say "hey we were here first let us do our thing then you do yours"

None of these concepts work for you though because it's not instanced PVE - then of course none of this apparently represents your OP so regardless of what I've said or what you've responded to in absolute rage it becomes irrelevant to you, even though you've spent countless replies at this point arguing against everything related to non-agreement with instance PVE.

Before you reply- take a deep breath. Think does this require a reply? Can I live my life without responding? If you can't then by all means continue to ruin your own thread.
    Tyrantor
    Master Assassin
    Book suggestions:
  • Options
    geez guys, you should continue this in private messeges...
  • Options
    Mojottv wrote: »

@Mojottv
    I don't mind reading Tyrantor or CptnChuck's posts, but i skip them entirely when they are addressed to each other. Nothing good comes from reading them.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Warth wrote: »

@Mojottv
    I don't mind reading Tyrantor or CptnChuck's posts, but i skip them entirely when they are addressed to each other. Nothing good comes from reading them.

I agree.
  • Options
    I think if this game is going to pursue non-instanced dungeons then it shouldn't pursue dungeons in a traditional sense at all. The OP's fixes seem to be stop-gap measures; keeping the structure of a dungeon (start at point A and get to point Z, killing trash and bosses along the way), while trying to balance 10-1000 people concurrently in them.

I would much rather Ashes completely remove non-instanced dungeons and go to content types that are more suited to infinite people. Some examples include tower/wave defense; open world bosses/events, or even something like GW2 has which are three lane pushes that need to be completed concurrently by +100 people per lane in order to unlock a boss battle afterwards.
  • Options

He's going to have to buy me a few drinks if he wants to talk dirty to me in private message the way he does here.

Tyrantor
    Master Assassin
    Book suggestions:
  • Options
    Indure wrote: »
    I think if this game is going to pursue non-instanced dungeons then it shouldn't pursue dungeons in a traditional sense at all. The OP's fixes seem to be stop-gap measures; keeping the structure of a dungeon (start at point A and get to point Z, killing trash and bosses along the way), while trying to balance 10-1000 people concurrently in them.

I would much rather Ashes completely remove non-instanced dungeons and go to content types that are more suited to infinite people. Some examples include tower/wave defense; open world bosses/events, or even something like GW2 has which are three lane pushes that need to be completed concurrently by +100 people per lane in order to unlock a boss battle afterwards.

I think youre right most people here talking about pve content and instanced dungeons, are refeeing to wow type dungeons where each dungeon is like mini scripted story where you kill mobs along the way. Problem with that is you completed it once and youre done, every time its going to be same shit
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    @Mojottv

Bruh. My fix is the least talked about one as its the one that almost everyone hates/disagrees with. What are you on about? Most people on the thread only talked about fix 1 and 2.
  • Options
    Indure wrote: »

I think youre right most people here talking about pve content and instanced dungeons, are refeeing to wow type dungeons where each dungeon is like mini scripted story where you kill mobs along the way. Problem with that is you completed it once and youre done, every time its going to be same shit

And I believe, this is why, Steven said; that 20% of dungeons are instanced and part of the story arc/questline. Instances are a "guarantee" mission/quest, unless you're new to the encounter.

With PvP, you add the element of complete failure (ie, get owned, loose farm, loose spawn, etc.), There is no guarantee.

Intrepid can reduce the probability of PvP encounters, in a number of ways, without instances (eg. Turn in activation to NPC to spawn raid boss, requiring a quest line, previously. Unless someone outside the raid knows, only the raid will be at spawn. You can even make dungeons so huge, two raids might never meet.).

Personally, I think most people will be to busy gathering and crafting, raiding those goods, building freeholds and nodes, to even be concerned with "raiding bosses".
  • Options
    I have a question for @CaptnChuck and others very informed on this topic.

Im assuming the game has some sort of scaling (fighting 5 bears solo will be as challenging or even less so than fighting them with a full party).

IF said scaling exists (again, an assumption) could the devs not put in a simple "easy medium hard" difficulty setting for each player to select for the majority of pve content?

My point is, if a player finds pve content snooze worthy, they could turn up the challenge so the game effectively thinks that solo player is like 3 players and scales accordingly. There is another game that did this kind of thing but I can't remember what it is.

So: possible? If yes, feasible? Why or why not?
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    @TheGoodzilla

We know that there will be some type of scaling mechanic for bosses. I don't know if this applies to dungeon/raid/open world mobs as well, but for the sake of your suggestion, lets assume that it does exist.

Your idea would work in an instanced setting. In an open world setting though, its impossible.

Say one person is fighting at medium difficulty. Now what if someone else with a hard difficulty level comes along and tags the boss/mob? Do you maintain the same difficulty or do you go up? Now imagine 50 people of different difficulty levels attacking the same boss. Yeah, that is going to be a mess.

So sadly no, your idea isn't really feasible.
  • Options
    Simple captn

Assuming all things are equal:

Mob has 1k health.
    Easy player hits him for 100/swing and takes 50 per hit
    Hard player hits for 25 per swing and takes 125 per hit.

Mob health goes up as more players tag it, but damage remains constant.

waves magic wand of programming fixt! o:)
  • Options
    Simple captn

Assuming all things are equal:

Mob has 1k health.
    Easy player hits him for 100/swing and takes 50 per hit
    Hard player hits for 25 per swing and takes 125 per hit.

Mob health goes up as more players tag it, but damage remains constant.

waves magic wand of programming fixt! o:)

@TheGoodzilla

Yea but what about loot? Why would you choose the game to be harder to get the same loot?

Even if you were getting better loot, how will the game know that it is being given to you? When you're going to do a raid, there will be loot masters and stuff. Even if the loot master decides to give you the gear, and the game scaled all loot given to you by your difficulty, how would you prevent other people from swapping difficulties just before receiving the gear?

There's just so many ways that this can go wrong in an open world setting. I feel like the other solutions that I mentioned, in combination with bosses scaling based on your performance, would be far easier to implement than your suggestion. That doesn't mean its bad, its just not suitable for an open world game.
  • Options
    You don't get extra loot.

The "reward" is that you k ow you are playing under more dangerous conditions (without gimping yourself like not wagering armor) and still made it. I would think for dungeons and bosses and instances, the programmed difficulty would override any player settings.

And of course I'm sure the difficulty of actually programming my idea would be inverse to its simplicity.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    @TheGoodzilla

Yea but very few people actually like difficult content that don't reward you for it.