Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

I've just heard about the game.

Sounds like a Peter Molyneux game a.k.a too good to be true.
So, naturally, I want in.

I could do with some feedback from the community.

I'm contemplating buying a pre-order pack.
Only I'm not sure about what's best, or if it's worth it at all before release.

The only games I've played for a long time are UO and EQ. I've left the others in two to three months (only two weeks for the disappointing WoW, and I was among the 500 first players on my server the day of the release).
Cosmetics hold no value to me and prepaying for months of game seems pointless.

Taking all this into account, I don't think getting anything else than the $75 pack would be reasonable.

I'm obviously looking for counter-arguments here, so : fire!

Thanks ;)

Comments

• Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I went full package mainly as a statement - because I believe in what AoC is trying to say about MMOs and I want to give it the best possible chance to thrive.
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    the 75$ pack gives you access to Beta 2. Which is only foing to be a few weeks long (1-3?).

Question is whether these 1-3 weeks are worth the price tag to you or not.
  • Options
    Warth wrote: »
    the 75$ pack gives you access to Beta 2. Which is only foing to be a few weeks long (1-3?).

Question is whether these 1-3 weeks are worth the price tag to you or not.

Its actually just 20$ bucks for the beta. The packages are so expensive because over 70% of the cost of the packages actually come from early sub fees and marketplace credits.

Also, I expect each Beta phase to last at least a month.
  • Options
    Developers have said many times "you don't need to preorder, sit back and watch".

I'm waiting for EU shop/servers before buying.
  • Options
    VarkunVarkun Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Honestly you may simply be better off just sitting back and seeing how things unfold. It will be quite sometime before release but with open development much of the games systems will be laid bare to pass final judgement on.
    3KAqRIf.png
    Close your eyes spread your arms and always trust your cape.
  • Options
    TalentsTalents Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited September 2020
    Well in my personal opinion, I think the Voyager pack ($250) is the best value. Even excluding all the cosmetics, game-time, and embers which equal $230 of that $250, it gives you alpha 2 access which is the only persistent test phase. This means you'll be able to play for so much longer than you will with Alpha 1/Beta 1/Beta 2 since they will only be spot tests (plus alpha 2 is where the majority of content will be added into Ashes).

Personally, I don't think the $75 pack is worth it since Beta 2 is probably going to last barely any time at all. If you're stuck between Beta 2 and nothing, I'd honestly say to not bother and just wait till launch.
    nI17Ea4.png
  • Options
    VolgaireVolgaire Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited September 2020
    Personally I got invested early drunk on hype and promises, I don't regret it but I've been waiting almost 2 years to upgrade to LoM package just to support the devs but won't do it until I get to test and see some really solid progress, or they tell us that the upgrades are ending.... So I suggest you wait and read up as much as you can then if you are not seeing anything in the cosmetics that you like just wait.
  • Options
    DolyemDolyem Member
    edited September 2020
    I got the $375 package mostly because I want to help test the game. But with each pack you just have to break down the costs. Game time is obviously the most value, embers=cosmetics, and also consider there is no box cost like most games so I take that into consideration as well which is another $60 value. On top of that you also get the months cosmetics which depending on your stance on cosmetics can add value as well. And on top of that there is also alpha or beta keys which can also have value, which I would put around...I don't know, lets says $20 each. And also a Name reservation but I will just put a $5 value on that.
    So all that being said,

$375 Pack- $115 month cosmetics+ $135 game time + $125 Embers + no $60 box cost + $60 in keys + $5 name reservation.
    =$500 value

$250 Pack- $40 Month Cosmetics + $90 game time + $100 Embers + $60 no box cost + $60 in keys
    =$350 value

$150 Pack- $20 Month Cosmteics + $60 Game Time + $50 Embers + $60 No box cost + $40 in Keys
    =$230 Value

$75 Pack- $5 Month Cosmetics + $30 Game Time + $25 Embers + $60 No box Cost + $20 in keys
    = $140 Value

Now honestly some of these were based off of my own values, so feel free to change each depending on whether you value cosmetics or not, if you would count the zero box cost, how you value alpha and beta keys and name reservations.

Hope this helps!
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options
    Hurrikhan wrote: »
    Cosmetics hold no value to me and prepaying for months of game seems pointless.

Taking all this into account, I don't think getting anything else than the $75 pack would be reasonable.

It seems to me that the only reason for you to buy any packs would be to able to play Alpha 2, Beta 1 or Beta 2.

If you have no interest in testing the game, keeping in mind your progress will be wiped before release, then the only reason to buy any pack would be to show your support to Intrepid.
    🎶Galo é Galo o resto é bosta🎶
  • Options
    I am in the wait and see camp. I have been burned supporting games pre-release only to have them turn into vaporware. So my support for any game in development will not be monetary, even if it means missing out on perks and alpha/beta testing.

I, in all honestly, thought AoC might be one of those as well until a few months back when I saw they had made significant progress.

I have more confidence in AoC however than just about any other game out there (Such as Camelot Unchained and even New Worlds) atm but anything can happen.
    isFikWd2_o.jpg
  • Options
    I suggest waiting for release and then just paying the 15usd it takes to play. That way you take none of the risk associated with a game that has not been released or reviewed yet.

You don't stress over the stumbles and delays it will very likely have, or how long until release. You can also forget about it if you so desire, because you have almost nothing to lose. Making the wait much more bearable on your side.

If you don't want to forget about it and want to help the development you will still be able to give feedback by watching the testing and posting here.

The only thing you have to lose is the cosmetics in the store. And even though those are reportedly unique we know you will have access to similar cosmetics to be obtained in game after release.
    We don't even know How unique they will be. the in game ones may even be better for your taste. Imagine that the current fire fox cosmetic is found in game almost exactly the same, except it has a purple flame, or blue, or green. imo that one would be even better than the regular yellow flame one. Or even better with more tails.

You have next to nothing to fear, or lose by not preordering and a lot to win by just waiting.
  • Options
    VentharienVentharien Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Welcome to the community! I'd say unless you feel like you really want to get in there and test, or if you are a huge skin collector and wanna drop some dollars, sit back and just watch the development. If you get super hyped and have the means, grab a pack. All up to you.

They do generally pay for themselves after a while to some degree though, so that's nice.
  • Options
    Don't spend money on the game until it's closer to coming out, dude
  • Options

I always ran for the hills when I saw Peter was making a game, his games were always trash IMO.

I'm also a old UO and EQ player, played UO for 10 years. This game got me because they are adding a lot of elements from UO that I already loved. So far, i bought the voyager pack 370$, to me its worth it if the game comes out a success. If not, then well, at least i got 6 months of game time.

I think its time a another great MMO comes out, the last great MMO was FF Online IMO.

xKMTkyZ.jpg
  • Options
    KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    @Hurrikhan The reason I bought the $250 dollar package is because I want in on the second alpha (which will be persistent until the launch of the game and will become the public test realm after the game launches). This game does seem too good to be true so I had to go all in with hopes that they maintain their focus.
  • Options

I always ran for the hills when I saw Peter was making a game, his games were always trash IMO.

I'm also a old UO and EQ player, played UO for 10 years. This game got me because they are adding a lot of elements from UO that I already loved. So far, i bought the voyager pack 370$, to me its worth it if the game comes out a success. If not, then well, at least i got 6 months of game time.

I think its time a another great MMO comes out, the last great MMO was FF Online IMO.

Molnyeux has always over-promised what his games were. It was never true. I was joking about me being ready to be fooled again. (I'll still buy Fable 4 ;) )

I was tempted with the big package but Sent's comment about waiting for the EU server made me realize I may never "enjoy" all the content of the package.
    I've yet to find what's their plan about the availability of an EU server, alpha/beta-wise.
    Do you know if the package is upgradable?