Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Active Blocking (For Tanks)

Cableman687Cableman687 Member
edited September 2020 in General Discussion
One of the most satisfying mechanics that I think can be brought to a tank class would be an active blocking mechanic, similar to something you would find from the Lancer class in Tera, or the warzone scene from the Wonder Woman movie xD. The idea of resisting some sort of attack or barrage while protecting yourself and/or others standing behind you would give much more purpose to the tank class. Literally 'protecting' your team, and generating aggro in a way that is controlled and tolerable by the class in a skillful fashion. Timing is key.

Comments

• Options
    IzilIzil Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited September 2020
    Depends on the duration
    Izil.png
  • Options
    KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I like this idea for an ability. "Raise Shield" if you will. I would hate to have to consistently be able to block attacks by right clicking and raising the shield. Giant bosses, camera angles, pvp, grinding....all of this would be so broken if I could have the option to block damage by timing when nobody else can.
  • Options
    I have a wired hunch that blocking will be passive with a percentage chance to absorb a percentage of damage.

That being said if they end up putting I-frame evasion mechanics in the game I see no reason why some couldn't involve a shield.
  • Options
    mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I'd also prefer to have it. I like having that default option to defend myself instead of having to stand there. It would be nice if you can block with anything but certain items are better at it i.e blocking with a shield stops 60-80% damage but blocking with a bow only stops 20-30%. Maybe have class effect it as well.
  • Options
    I'd also prefer to have it. I like having that default option to defend myself instead of having to stand there. It would be nice if you can block with anything but certain items are better at it i.e blocking with a shield stops 60-80% damage but blocking with a bow only stops 20-30%. Maybe have class effect it as well.

Blocking with a bow. Bro....please just stop with this foolery.
  • Options
    mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    KHRONUS wrote: »

....If it came to blocking with a bow or being stabbed in the face, I'm not psychic but I'm pretty sure you would choose to block with your bow. As I said, I don't think it should be as good as blocking with a shield or sword, I just think the option is nice.
  • Options
    It depends on how it is implemented; I wouldn't want dark souls style parries in the game but something akin to the type of block abilities that are in gw2 would be great. Something along the lines of abilities that either "block attacks for the next x number of seconds" or "block the next x number of attacks" would be good imo.
  • Options
    If you're talking about active blocking in terms of an ability, for a set duration, then ofc. That's a pretty standard tank skill.
  • Options
    Yeah I was thinking for the tank class it would be a toggleable ability, or 'raise shield's function - and with each hit it would take points/stamina out of a seperate bar. Leveling/specing would dictate the capacity of this bar to absorb damage. Different enemies/different attacks would dictate points/stamina consumed. This bar would obviously also regenerate somehow, or be replenished with certain actions
  • Options
    I like the idea, but to not be broken it should be only projectiles and taking part of the damage, while defending anybody behind.
  • Options

....If it came to blocking with a bow or being stabbed in the face, I'm not psychic but I'm pretty sure you would choose to block with your bow. As I said, I don't think it should be as good as blocking with a shield or sword, I just think the option is nice.

Ok yes, real life you would block with a bow to not get stabbed in the face. This is an mmorpg on your computer. Let's have fun and not have to block with our bows please. This is just a horrible idea. Forcing the developers to have to program blocks, timing, positioning, mitigation, and so much more....all while balancing classes is just ridiculous to ask for people to have "real life" in a game.
  • Options
    MrPocketsMrPockets Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    This sounds just like active mitigation skills. Standard class design that WoW has had for years.
  • Options

Ok yes, real life you would block with a bow to not get stabbed in the face. This is an mmorpg on your computer. Let's have fun and not have to block with our bows please. This is just a horrible idea. Forcing the developers to have to program blocks, timing, positioning, mitigation, and so much more....all while balancing classes is just ridiculous to ask for people to have "real life" in a game.

So because it's an MMORPG on your computer then you shouldn't have the option to block with a bow? Why? So in an MMO, if you have a bow out and you are about to take some damage, you shouldn't have a defensive option to mitigate some of it? you should just have to stand there and take it. I'm sorry, but I don't see how this is game-breaking or a reason to not allow it.

They already developed active block. We had it in apoc. They don't need to completely re-develop it to allow it on bows.

If you don't want/like active block then cool but these aren't really arguments against it. Saying you don't want it because devs have to spend time on it is just shitty. You are basically saying devs should spend time on things you like instead of what others like which doesn't really further any argument on whether a feature should exist or not beyond stating your preference.
  • Options
    I always worry about latency issues with small timing window abilities like this. But yeah, active blocking and while we're at it, active healing (whatever that would look like, tons of options) are nice.
  • Options
    VentharienVentharien Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I prefer active blocking, but if it's a skill that simulates that effect, like a toggle, with a cooldown and short cast time, i wouldn't mind that either.
  • Options
    UlfUlf Member
    edited September 2020
    The shield block in Lineage 2 for Dark avengers and Paladins was broken... the rates where all over the place.
    It depends on the stun mechanic, duration, success rate, level difference, etc.

BUT it was broken in a range of levels... it was broken from 35 to 56 aprox. After that , shield stun/block was... pretty sh*t. Majestic armor with 50% stun resistance was OP too.
    FOeRqtf.jpg
  • Options
    No thank you ... kindly
  • Options
    FuryBladeborneFuryBladeborne Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited September 2020
    It would be nice to have active blocking; however, after the testing in Apocalypse IS described that they will probably move away from active blocking due to a low blocking accuracy.

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Combat#Active_blocking
  • Options

So because it's an MMORPG on your computer then you shouldn't have the option to block with a bow? Why? So in an MMO, if you have a bow out and you are about to take some damage, you shouldn't have a defensive option to mitigate some of it? you should just have to stand there and take it. I'm sorry, but I don't see how this is game-breaking or a reason to not allow it.

They already developed active block. We had it in apoc. They don't need to completely re-develop it to allow it on bows.

If you don't want/like active block then cool but these aren't really arguments against it. Saying you don't want it because devs have to spend time on it is just shitty. You are basically saying devs should spend time on things you like instead of what others like which doesn't really further any argument on whether a feature should exist or not beyond stating your preference.

Because technically you would be parrying with your bow, otherwise you'd risk breaking it.

If you parried a sword or ax you would still be at risk of damaging the bow beyond use and or cutting the bow string.
  • Options
    edited September 2020

Because technically you would be parrying with your bow, otherwise you'd risk breaking it.

If you parried a sword or ax you would still be at risk of damaging the bow beyond use and or cutting the bow string.

A broken bow is better than a broken face but maybe I'm taking this a little too far.

You know the bow was just an example of a different weapon that explains a system where all players have an active block but it's not as effective for each person. A tank with a shield would be better at blocking than a mage with a staff or in my example a ranger with a bow.

In a lot of games, active defense takes the form of dodge which all players can perform. I personally don't like everyone having access to dodge because of the mobility component it usually has as well as how its use is limited. I also think it's a little silly having everyone dodging all the time.

Instead of a dodge, I'd prefer if all players have an active block that they can always use. No matter the situation (with some exceptions), if you are in a situation and would like to defend yourself, you can hold up your hands with whatever's in them and try to mitigate some of the damage.

As I said, just a preference. For me, this makes me feel more in control of my character and is something I've noticed when playing MMOs recently. It feels weird being in a situation where I'd like to defend myself and can't unless I have some kind of defensive cooldown. Even when I have a defensive, it still doesn't feel satisfying as I just press the button, get some particle effects around me, and the numbers above my head get lower. I enjoy that feeling of holding down a block button and seeing my character try to brace themself against the incoming attack.