Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Armor and clothing hopes and dreams!

2»

Comments

• Options
    Anduin KayvaanAnduin Kayvaan Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Alpha One
    Damokles wrote: »
    Birthday wrote: »
    You know how when you battle your armor bar declines and then you can heal your armor by using mana?

have they talked about possible visual representation of that?

Like if your armor is at 75% it shows some small damage.
    At 50% some serious damage.
    25% lots of skin showing.
    0% it's obvious that what you are wearing is only slowing you down rather than protecting you.

That armor system was unique to APOC i believe.

There was something similar to that in BDO where when you became more battle damaged your armor slowly took more damage.
    ckja7ry05gj4.png
    Gray Sentinels Guild Recruitment https://tinyurl.com/Gray-Sentinels
  • Options
    Balrog21 wrote: »
    @Merek that level 20 gear they showed that had the tan color scheme with the circlet type crown piece was pretty badass to me. :) I would show it but I cant get the insert pic function to work right for me....:/
    ss-2020-08-31-02_00_41-00007.png

This armor? Yes, this armor looks fine. But I'm concerned by this,
    ss-2020-06-29-01_08_10-00007.png

Why are the colors so bright? I don't mean, metal shine, I mean it's too glossy.

Take the metal used here as an example too,
    Black-Desert-Online-Blackstar-Armor-comparison.jpg

For some reason, if a set of armor has too much metal on it, the colors go insane in Ashes. I'm interested to see the overall progress from Alpha 1 to Alpha 2 then Beta 1 and Beta 2. I'm just a bit disappointed with some of their design choices with the armor so far, but we'll see.
  • Options
    XerayReaperXerayReaper Member
    edited September 2020
    @Merek Yes, it's still early, and we've only seen a few of in-game designs of the armor, and most of them are still fairly low level armor. I'm sure once we hit the higher levels and rare, epic, legendary drops of armor are found; we'll be seeing some impressive designs.
  • Options
    Merek wrote: »
    Why are the colors so bright? I don't mean, metal shine, I mean it's too glossy.
    [...]
    For some reason, if a set of armor has too much metal on it, the colors go insane in Ashes. I'm interested to see the overall progress from Alpha 1 to Alpha 2 then Beta 1 and Beta 2. I'm just a bit disappointed with some of their design choices with the armor so far, but we'll see.

I’m actually okay with this, though it doesn’t fit into my personal aesthetic, and here’s why: it has greater historical presence than camouflage. Armored individuals throughout history not only kept up their armor (which maintained shine/gloss) but actively sought out and took advantage of shining like a beacon, sometimes with almost mirror-like levels of shine. This changed dramatically once technology progressed to where damage output began to seriously outstrip our ability to protect against damage, and even at the turning point, bright coloration was still prevalent as most armor outside of helmets began to go by the wayside. Metal was gleaming from the times of Mesopotamia, to Rome, to German Gothic, and cloth armor was made as brightly colorful as practical for even longer. Metal, in particular, was kept to a shine as part of upkeep and maintenance, with hammering smooth, buffing, and applying oil all protecting the armor to keep it effective as well as keep the wearer of it appearing a force to behold on the battlefield.

That said, there are always exceptions and there is certainly a case to be made for avoiding it in a fantasy setting. Magic can be more effective than a high caliber rifle round, so calling immediate attention to yourself - or charging into battle without environmental cover for that matter - is not necessarily advisable. From an immersion standpoint, unlike armored fighters IRL, fantasy world adventurers seem to never remove their armor and rarely have squires or comrades or the luxury of faculties and equipment and time to properly take care of their armor. That would surely lead to plenty of soiling, tarnishing, pitting, scratching, and even some rusting that would all dramatically dim the appearance of armor on a non-landed adventurer.

I’d like cosmetic options for augmenting color and shine, not only for personal preference but to increase diversity of player appearances throughout the game. I take my games with a chunk of RP attitude, so I like swapping plate/brigandine/mail for something lighter like just gambeson or layered fabric when just scouting/gathering and leave the pole arms at home; it can leave me ill-equipped if I stumble upon an enemy at or above my weight class, but it’s a nice bit of fun infusion when I inadvertently need to change my fighting strategy because I’m wearing kit for procuring alchemy supplies rather than tanking a troll or bear. In Ashes I’ll probably still keep it all in my inventory on my person, but I like to be able to swap my looks around for different situations, nonetheless.