Age related mistakes

Nothing breaks immersion more than seeing modern items or buildings amongst medieval looking ones. Like someone with a gun fighting axe wielding berserkers.

Also meaningless quests that are unbelievably boring really ruin one experience. Sure I can do the local farmer a favor but I dont wanna spend 2 hours doing so waiting for Monster drops

Comments

  • I have no issues with guns in fantasy mmorpg’s as long as they don’t look like modern guns, it’s fantasy after all, if we can survive being sliced and stabbed multiple times in a fight why can’t we survive a gun shot?

    They’ve already said gunpowder weapons won’t be a thing so that may help you. They do have a sort of grenade launcher (potion launcher) in the battle royal though they apparently haven’t decided if that’s going to make it into the main game yet

    As for boring quests I agree, especially if I have to complete them on multiple characters.
  • I agree, i don't want to see guns in the game. Not at the beginning at least.
  • @CaptnChuck 100% second that!
  • ShoklenShoklen Member
    edited September 11
    There are already "potion launchers" built and made for the setting; if they were only for Apoc; that I don't know. Not a fan of Guns in High Fantasy MMOs, but if done correctly.... maybe?

    If a farmer needs me to go kill some goblins and bring back their ears as proof, that's fine... Just do not make the ears a 1 in 100 drop; that just wastes a huge amount of time.. Not to mention people start fighting over kills.. and in open pvp.. watchout!
  • Shoklen wrote: »
    There are already "potion launchers" built and made for the setting; if they were only for Apoc; that I don't know. Not a fan of Guns in High Fantasy MMOs, but if done correctly.... maybe?

    If a farmer needs me to go kill some goblins and bring back their ears as proof, that's fine... Just do not make the ears a 1 in 100 drop; that just wastes a huge amount of time.. Not to mention people start fighting over kills.. and in open pvp.. watchout!

    I'm ok with magic guns. Just not with gun powder and stuff.
  • Guns I can just about accept, after all they were around during the medieval period, even if they weren't very good. Steampunk style vehicles for mounts is where i really get put off.

    Boring quests when you are low level seems fine to me, go out and kill 20 goblins and bring back their ears at level 2 seems fine, having to do the same thing at level 50 however seems silly. However I could quite happily be sent to slaughter my way through a group of elite goblin guards in order to kill the goblin King, which in a way is doing the same thing, but the wording is different, the second option is made to sound like they are asking you to do something important. In the end most MMORPGs come down to 'go out, kill monster, take treasure, sell or wear treasure' rinse and repeat. Personally I'd rather go out and kill 50 goblins to get 10 ears than have to run the same dungeon 50 times to try and get a single rare piece of loot.
  • The main concern here should be with the cosmetics store, which Steven has said won't need to follow the games theme and I think that's a huge mistake.
  • Merek wrote: »
    The main concern here should be with the cosmetics store, which Steven has said won't need to follow the games theme and I think that's a huge mistake.

    The cosmetic shop is a big question mark for a lot of people, including myself.
  • CaptnChuck wrote: »
    Merek wrote: »
    The main concern here should be with the cosmetics store, which Steven has said won't need to follow the games theme and I think that's a huge mistake.

    The cosmetic shop is a big question mark for a lot of people, including myself.

    Indeed.

    It is one aspect where Steven absolutely has put making money ahead of what is best for the game itself.

    Not that making money isn't important - but making money on a poor product is not a good long term business model - and a cash shop with items that go against the theme of the game makes for a poor product.
  • I prefer no guns in the game, and boring quests are fine, at least in every zone you should do the "kill 0/10 monsters and gather 0/10 flowers". That being said we need very epic and memorable quests too.
  • yeah gathering 10 flowers is totally fine, but dont make a goblin ear a 10% rate drop. Like every goblin has ears cmon.
  • I agree, not a fan of guns, but check out the potion launchers! I reckon they'll fit in fine

    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/images/6/64/potion-launcher-concept-8m12.png
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • maouw wrote: »
    I agree, not a fan of guns, but check out the potion launchers! I reckon they'll fit in fine

    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/images/6/64/potion-launcher-concept-8m12.png

    Yeah those look dope ngl
  • Balrog21Balrog21 Member
    edited September 11
    I had to kill the Baron 67 times to get my Wildheart pants to drop in Vanilla WoW. That pretty much ruined instances and dungeons for me where drop tables are concerned.
    I never did another new dungeon or instance again in Wow. I only BG'd and did Arenas after that and new xpac content and eventually quit when Cataclysm was launched.
    Let me backtrack, I never did any dungeons, instances or raids for gear ever again. I did them once to experience the content. And then I was done.
    I have no desire to repeat content over and over and over and over.
  • Yeah, no guns at all for me or any mechanized out of era stuff.
  • There shouldn't be guns in Aoc and the potion launcher will probably stay in APOC ;)

    From what I understood the boring quest we are used will be name tasks and I could see them to be on billboard in nodes and taverns with different ranks and types. So we could have a quick check on it if there's a task that fit our goal ( gathering a resource or grind xp in a specific place).

    I would prefer if npc have tasks for us , them to be those quest where you have to go take a object they can't get because the place is too dangerous ect. Quest that don't have any RNG in it and you can chose to kill your way in or sneak out the objective.
  • I'd rather have guns than cloaks with panda heads for hoods.
  • CROW3 wrote: »
    I'd rather have guns than cloaks with panda heads for hoods.

    What if it’s a realistic panda so it looks like you’re wearing the pelt of a panda? As if you were a very specific barbarian
  • DDragon wrote: »
    Nothing breaks immersion more than seeing modern items or buildings amongst medieval looking ones. Like someone with a gun fighting axe wielding berserkers.

    Don't agree. It's not far fetched to have a version of a world where both exist at the same time in the same place, especially in a nonsensical world of fantasy and magic. You can even make a case that it's more realistic to have it in a fantasy world since a lot of delays to why gunpowder wasn't used in guns for nearly a century after it was discovered (in the sense that we have written prove that people knew about it's qualities) was a lack of technology which magic could easily circumvent.
    Worth checking out the history on it. Pretty interesting if you ask me.

    Who needs a good iron casting technique that can reliably withstand the deflagration when you can just enhance the metal like a magical sword?

    Traditional techniques and technological advancements have a long standing rivalry and there has always been a time period where both are pretty equal and in use.
    We will be fighting ginormous monsters in a world we get sent back to by a goddess that we had to abandon centuries ago. We can sling the elements and a ranger can be as powerful as a summoner. A Bard is a fighting occupation and there are thousands of things that can not exist in our real world.
    Having reasons too why guns are only as powerful as bows( or they each having situational advantages) is seriously so low on my list I would want to have explained in a fantasy game I don't even want to humour the topic before I speak about a plethora of other things.
    I can be a life fulfilling dream. Grisu
    I can be a life devouring nightmare. Zekece#1819
  • BirthdayBirthday Member
    edited September 13
    .
    grisu wrote: »
    DDragon wrote: »
    Nothing breaks immersion more than seeing modern items or buildings amongst medieval looking ones. Like someone with a gun fighting axe wielding berserkers.

    Don't agree. It's not far fetched to have a version of a world where both exist at the same time in the same place, especially in a nonsensical world of fantasy and magic. You can even make a case that it's more realistic to have it in a fantasy world since a lot of delays to why gunpowder wasn't used in guns for nearly a century after it was discovered (in the sense that we have written prove that people knew about it's qualities) was a lack of technology which magic could easily circumvent.
    Worth checking out the history on it. Pretty interesting if you ask me.

    Who needs a good iron casting technique that can reliably withstand the deflagration when you can just enhance the metal like a magical sword?

    Traditional techniques and technological advancements have a long standing rivalry and there has always been a time period where both are pretty equal and in use.
    We will be fighting ginormous monsters in a world we get sent back to by a goddess that we had to abandon centuries ago. We can sling the elements and a ranger can be as powerful as a summoner. A Bard is a fighting occupation and there are thousands of things that can not exist in our real world.
    Having reasons too why guns are only as powerful as bows( or they each having situational advantages) is seriously so low on my list I would want to have explained in a fantasy game I don't even want to humour the topic before I speak about a plethora of other things.

    Guns and bows generally don't mix well in games. Haven't seen a game where guns and bows are in and one doesn't trump the other with a lot of advantages or where the game makes it so they are the same thing but with a different texture as is the case in WoW

    Edit: On the other hand having cars, motorcycles, helicopters etc doesn't break the immersion for me when it's done well. For example in WoW where gnomes are amazing engineers and are capable of creating things like that, and the the way those things look make sense in the whole other surrounding of the game.

    If it fits the lore, the surroundings etc. then I am ok with a car being in the same game where there is a horse and both have the same speed.
  • Birthday wrote: »
    Edit: On the other hand having cars, motorcycles, helicopters etc doesn't break the immersion for me when it's done well. For example in WoW where gnomes are amazing engineers and are capable of creating things like that, and the the way those things look make sense in the whole other surrounding of the game.
    Not for you but especially the chopper was also a big mimimi amongst certain groups in wow ignoring exactly that, namely everything else around them in the game.
    Giant metro connecting two cities, a literal machine city, autonomos robots and so on, but the moment you saw a damned chopper... the whining oohh my dear lord. (funny enough noone whined about rapid fire guns there, that came afterwards in other games, dwarfes and guns was just too perfect a match apparently)
    I can be a life fulfilling dream. Grisu
    I can be a life devouring nightmare. Zekece#1819
  • @grisu I dont like any of it. No guns, no whirls birds, no cars, no choppers and best yet no giggling dang gnomes. Detest them, and that stupid doe eyed race in GW2...ughhh. So glad Ashes will have neither.
  • Haven't Steven already said several times no. No guns
  • @insomnia yes, several times.
  • insomnia wrote: »
    Haven't Steven already said several times no. No guns

    He said not at the beginning. It might come into play as the world of Verra develops.
  • I believe he’s stated no gunpowder weapons (blackpowder) I’ve personally always been more of a fan of magi-tech in fantasy but I am mostly a JRPG player and WRPG when I can find good ones
  • CaptnChuck wrote: »
    insomnia wrote: »
    Haven't Steven already said several times no. No guns

    He said not at the beginning. It might come into play as the world of Verra develops.

    Guns and gunpowder
    Gunpowder (black powder) weapons will not be present in Ashes of Creation.

    Weaponry such as Potion launchers, Siege weapons and weapons used in Naval combat are based on the arcane arts.

    The elements.
    The use of radiance and darkness.
    As we said in the past, were not really about that black powder life. Instead it's really going to be focused on the arcane arts: The elements; the use of radiance and darkness; and then those being employed in larger weaponry, such as the type of siege weaponry between ship battles as well as those and sieges. A potion launcher is an example of the arcane energies that can be mastered in order to facilitate these highly destructive alchemical blends that can be created

    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Weapons
Sign In or Register to comment.