Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Sounds effects

Small details are what really make a difference in immersion. Sound effects are one of them. If u want players to feel immersed they must feel right. For example I wouldnt like if my sword made the same sound of clashing steel when attacking a stone golem, a wolf or a slime. Also if u stop fighting for a second and hear the sound of birds and wind makes the world feel alive! Feeling like the world is real is the main point of playing games like these.

Comments

• Options
    VyrakaVyraka Member, Alpha One
    I love ambient sounds in games!
    Axiom-Guild-Signature-Vyraka.png
  • Options
    KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I back the ambient sounds in games idea. There is a fine line though between ambient sounds and repetitive chirping /wind etc.
  • Options
    VyrakaVyraka Member, Alpha One
    @KHRONUS

Yeah, I know what you mean. There is a bird sound that I have heard in multiple games, and it's rather irritating because it reminds me of a different game.
    Axiom-Guild-Signature-Vyraka.png
  • Options
    BricktopBricktop Member
    edited September 2020
    Agreed on the ambient sounds. If I'm walking through a forest with a river nearby, I would love to be able to hear all kinds of birds, water rushing by, sticks breaking as you walk, insects making noise, animal calls every so often.

Walking through a city I would love to hear little bits of conversation/arguments as I'm walking down main street, or when you walk by the tavern you hear music and a lively time inside with glasses clinking and patrons laughing.

Ambient sounds are SUPER important to make the world feel alive and real.
  • Options
    Bricktop wrote: »
    Agreed on the ambient sounds. If I'm walking through a forest with a river nearby, I would love to be able to hear all kinds of birds, water rushing by, sticks breaking as you walk, insects making noise, animal calls every so often.

Walking through a city I would love to hear little bits of conversation/arguments as I'm walking down main street, or when you walk by the tavern you hear music and a lively time inside with glasses clinking and patrons laughing.

Ambient sounds are SUPER important to make the world feel alive and real.

Sounds like a dream... if ashes could achieve that... thinking about it gives me chills
  • Options
    Yes sounds can be really immersive like sounds of running water, sound of fire when casting fire spell, WoW has some of the best sound effects I have heard.
  • Options
    Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Sound design is hugely underrated but can make a huge difference in the enjoyment of the game.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options
    volshvolsh Member
    edited September 2020
    Sound design is hugely underrated but can make a huge difference in the enjoyment of the game.

Very much so!

My only problem with this is in previous games where I want to hear the ambient sounds more clearly I've had to crank up the master volume really loud which as well as hurting my ears it annoys the others in my household,
  • Options
    IzilIzil Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Sound effects have heavy impact on how combat feels, very underrated fact. An example is sound can make combat feel weighty just for using the right effects with and on the right materials (armor, weapons etc)
    Izil.png
  • Options
    Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    volsh wrote: »

Very much so!

My only problem with this is in previous games where I want to hear the ambient sounds more clearly I've had to crank up the master volume really loud which as well as hurting my ears it annoys the others in my household,

Hopefully there will be separate sliders for ambience and other sound effects.
    volunteer_moderator.gif