Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Epic Boss Fight Idea/Desires (WARNING: Wall text ahead.)

Balrog21Balrog21 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
This will be a long post but bare with me....

1. A boss fight to me should be epic. You've endured the dungeon or wild and it's minions to get to said boss, and now it's time to grit your teeth and put all your skills to the test. (I'm going to use a dragon as the example because I think we all associate a dragon with the big bad guy in a true fantasy mmo. That is not to say there are other type of nasties as bosses, I'm just using a dragon for this one.) A side note, I don't know if dragons in Ashes are like most table top rpg's as in they can talk and cast magic, but for this scenario I will assume they can do both.

Phase 1. The Lair
For one, since Ashes is implementing archetype skills, there should be traps all over the place, especially at the entrance to the boss. That is taking for granted the boss isn't stupid and it hears all the fighting going on in the hallways or caverns leading up to it. (which i hope is the case) The traps could be of any type, spike traps, flame traps, darts, etc. IT will give the rogue a hearty workout for sure and possibly the ranger.
But as soon as the first party member steps into the lair the dragon takes flight and will do a few strafing runs on the entrance. The whole raid will have to time it to run to a relatively safe space while the dragon is circling above or get cooked. While the dragon is flying he will taunt the party, calling them insects, vermin, or even fool hardy wannabe thieves, etc
Once in the room you notice the cavern is immense and the ceiling is barely visible, you also see a huge spire in the center of the room, which is a great distance away, with a stair case that is carved on the side of the spire that leads up to the top. You also see magical auras flashing from atop the spire and you hear booming chants coming from the top.. Great, he has lackeys to help him, but you do know the top of the spire is where you need to go. The raid sets off for the spire as the dragon continues to make strafing runs at the raid, and also uses it's massive weight and fire to loose huge stalactites from the ceiling that will fall down onto the raid, which are now fiery molten pieces of stone. A very tedious cat and mouse game ensues until the raid reaches the spire. Luckily, there are a few stalagmites scattered across the floor to hide behind while the dragon unleashes holy hell fire upon the raid.

Phase 2. The Spire
The raid has made it to spire, it's immense, a LOT bigger than you first thought. The spire ascends at least 100 feet up if not more, and the steps aren't very wide. A fall from the top would be certain death, and even halfway up a fall would be deadly. The journey up is not without peril. The dragon circles the spire breathing fire on the raid, and in once instance the dragon hovers before the raid and unleashes a HUGE breath of fire, engulfing a huge section of the stairs. If you are unlucky enough to be caught in it it will be certain death. To make matters worse the dragon tail slaps the spire and you have to be butted up to the spire wall or be knocked prone or off the side.
After a tedious climb you make it to the top to find four wizards, hands and arms moving, voices booming. What spell or ritual they are attempting to cast is unknown but you know it's best to stop them. A very hard fight ensues and to make matter worse the dragon continues to fly overhead and breath fire onto the raid. The wizards employ all kinds of tactics to the fight even levitating off and away from the spire to rain spells of mass destruction onto the raid. One notable spell is a control person spell all wizards use, and it is discernible by the length of the time taking to cast the spell, those unlucky enough not to stop this spell will be controlled and walked off the spire top and fall to certain death.
The fight is long and tedious, but you have managed to kill all four of the wizards and stopped whatever spell/ritual they were attempting atop the spire, but as the last wizard dies the dragon becomes enraged and finally lands onto the top of the spire.

Phase 3. The Dragon
The dragon lands and then with it's huge wings, wing buffets the raid hoping to knock some of them off the edge, but all will be knocked prone. if you are knocked prone the massive wind from the dragon's wings push you back 10-15 feet, hopefully you aren't at the edge of the spire.
The fight is a nasty one, with it's breath weapon and tail slaps, bites, and claws. The dragon takes flight twice during the fight and lands repeating the wing buffet on the raid. As a last ditch effort the dragon polymorphs into a giant humanoid type creature and begins casting spells at the party. Numerous types of spells are employed against the raid, the control person, silence, mass control, slow, and the most powerful, the ray of death, which is a thin dark violet beam that will dot the player and quickly kill the player.
The dragon not being stupid knows it's losing the fight and takes to the air once again, hoping it will end the raid with it's fiery breath. While hovering above the raid, the raid has to burn him down to kill him, otherwise the dragon will self heal itself x number of heath and the process will start all over again beginning with phase two of the dragon fight. If the party does manage to bring him down the dragon falls from the sky engulfed in flames bellowing, "You will never find my hoard!!!!"

Phase 4. The Hoard
The old dragon is a smart one, it has hidden its hoard in a secret chamber deep underground in the cavern and yes, its trapped and spell warded. Time to use those archetype abilities to find it! The raid finally diffuses the traps and breaks the ward on the treasure. A hard day, but a great day to be an adventurer!

Fight Scenario Style 2.
This is the same until it reaches the end of Phase 3.
The dragon knows its losing and in a last ditch effort dives at the spire wing buffeting the raid, there is a 50/50 chance you get knocked down. If you are not knocked down the dragon then grabs two people at random of the raid and takes flight to its true lair.
The raid watches as the dragon seems to fly through a wall and vanishes. The raid will have to go to the said entrance, again trapped and magically warded.Once the traps are disabled and wards broken down by the rogues, ranger, and wizard the party enters the tunnel and heads to the true lair. There could also be a another trap as the raid enters the lair where the cleric has to dispel a deadly mist that permeates the ground. The two captives are off in a wall magically held. Once the fight ensues the captives magical hold is broken.
The fight ensues in the lair pretty much like above in scenario 1 with the dragon polymorphed into a humanoid dragon type creature with the same spells and actions. Before the fight begins the dragon heals itself to 1/4 health. As the fight is nearing its end the dragon flees back up the hallway and takes the shape of the dragon as it flies out of the entrance. It circles and then hovers in front of the raid, this is the time for the raid to burn it down, if it doesn't the dragon flies back to the spire, heals itself and the fight ensues. If the party burns it down the dragon falls cursing the raid.

This is what I'm hoping to see and my vision as an example of an epic boss fight in Ashes of Creation. The reason I put two scenarios is because I don't know if Ashes will have any grab mechanics or not. I'm hoping they do. I guess I'm just tired of the same ole thing, we want/need something different. The computer power is there and so is the AI.

What are some of your thoughts on epic boss fights? Are you happy with them the way they are now in the genre or do you want something more dynamic like mentioned above? Or better yet, what are some of your ideas for an epic boss fight?(No, it doesn't have to be a dragon. =) )

Comments

• Options
    This makes my dick hard, @StevenSharif

I like everything you said, the traps and roles to deactivate them seems very cool, mages could unlock hidden doors and the same for other classes, adds a lot of roleplay.

I want to remark the importance of:

- Massive dungeons.
    - Build up to the boss, quests talking about him, getting taunted before the fight, etc.
    - Some, very lenghty, spend all night trying to figure it out.
    - Interesting and challenging mobs. Plan, position and fight them correctly or you are wiped.
    - Planning and preparation before the dungeon.
    - Very hard loot to get (1%)
    - Obviously good boss fights and plenty of wipes but thats already well said on the original post.
  • Options
    @Marcet I'm sure some would frown at the idea of being taken by the dragon......but sometimes you just have a very bad day. :)
  • Options
    It's a nice narrative but lots of it is super hard/not really possible to implement in game. Especially all of the "certain death" mechanics. You can't just have the dragon's breath one shot the raid while they ascend the tower, there has to be mechanics that the player has control over to avoid damage or dampen it etc. This could even be via lots of preparation before entering the room but yeah.

Again, it reads like a nice narrative but practically speaking hard to implement into a video game.
  • Options
    @neuroguy yeah, they would be able to move up or down the spire to avoid the dragon breath. The dragon breath in the raid we saw in the video was pretty harsh, killed Steven and Jeff both.
    I didnt say it was going to be easy, but we have the computer power and the AI to make this happen.
    I'm so tired of the boss just sitting there....swipe.....stomp.....bite....etc....while we beat it to desth, its beyond time move forward.
  • Options
    Love multi-stage fights. Not sure a full body morph is more impressive than a dragon showing damage and needing to change tactics and skills to accommodate. For instance, wings are damaged, so it tucks them and casts a local healing effect on them to not only refresh HP but regain flight ability while leaning on biting and slash attacks in the mean time. This can be made extra engaging if healing effects cast by the dragon to heal itself can inadvertently heal up-close DPS players attempting to climb the dragon to attack its back and neck.

Massive death beams like you mentioned can be either a fun difficulty spike or kinda trite. If it deals spectacular damage to players and the environment but damages the dragon’s mouth, reducing armor penetration of (or knocking out the ability for the dragon to do) a bite attack, it adds complexity while answering the question “Why didn’t he lead with that?”

Love the retreat to a safe room aspect. I have a bit of nostalgia attached to this from old Nintendo games days, but it does make sense in combat, and it excuses/explains switch to more panicked, frenzied, and drastic skills and abilities being used by the boss as a last resort.

Would like any attacks by the boss and resistances to damage be introduced in lighter weight enemies running up to it. Back to the one-hit kill death beam: have some baby dragons that are easily killed but have a slightly less devastating version introduce the ability running up to the boss. Make attacks require particular methods of damage avoidance or blocking so players don’t just attack every enemy the same way.
  • Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    If you can get past its name, Monster Hunter does a pretty good job of an active boss that doesn't stand still to let you hit it. It flies away to rest, its different limbs take different amounts of damage from bullets vs blades, it wanders around and roars as soon as it detects a player

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_AsYSK2Fb4&ab_channel=BossFightDatabase

^ that example is a mid-tier boss
    I wish I were deep and tragic