Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Gathering from corpses and crafting decorations

neuroguyneuroguy Member
edited September 2020 in General Discussion
I've always been annoyed by games that don't let me gather what is intuitively valuable or cool from dead monsters. If I kill a dragon I'm gonna try to take a bunch of scales, teeth, bone etc. If I kill a flaming bird, those feathers are probably good for something or at least gonna look cool for decoration. It would be nice as a gatherer to be given options on what I want to extract. For example of I kill a bear, I can try to extract its claws, teeth, fur, meat etc. Then I'll be able to choose which part(s) to extract which can be gated by my gathering level in terms of what I can gather, how many parts I can try to gather, and the quality of the items I can gather. Maybe at high gathering I can extract all that stuff from the bear, and at good quality + quantity too.

These items don't always need to have direct crafting relevance. They can just be the gray vendor items (I think Steven calls them tickets). I think alternatively if the crafting outcome can look different depending on what exact ingredients you used that would be cool. If I use cow hide vs bear hide to make/decorate leather armor it should look different (just aesthetically) and if I use some mixture/combination it will just have a generic leather look. I also recall Steven saying something about crafting being very customizable and you can really play around with how the details look. It would be great if crafted gear could have decoration slots similar to jewel sockets in other games that you can fill out during the crafting process to change how the end result looks. If I make a helmet I can add feathers to it for example. If I gather a certain quality of feathers from some mob I should be able to slot it in as a decoration. It would add a lot of personality+character if you notice someone's helmet having parrot feathers from another continent (wow a foreigner, maybe they have goods from the other continent to sell) or if someone used valuable phoenix feathers (used in alchemy or some other purpose perhaps) on theirs to look badass or they just went full druid and have some plant's leaves instead of feathers. Lots of games have a cool looking skinned wolf hide helmet or w.e, imagine if it would look like the sabertooth tiger you skinned (100 times to get a high enough quality pelt to decorate your gear as such), would be immersive and badass. Most of this should be easy to implement as skin variations like what feather, leather, or dye metal (that you infuse into the ingot or something) you use. This of course would limit what decorations you put on what gear but I think would still be super cool, just feathers and leather alone would be amazing.

Since we will get game UI mechanisms of telling someone's gear type and quality this should be a fine mechanic to implement I think.

Comments

• Options
    Balrog21Balrog21 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Pretty neat idea, I do like the idea of getting what you want from the dead mob...i.e. teeth, scales, claws, or just the hide instead of just a random thing. But I can also see this getting tedious down the line. Then I can also see this increasing as your gathering skill increases. I.e. your first time out you only get x of one thing off the mob(say one to two claws), but as your gathering increases you get more items from the mob.(5 teeth, 3 claws, 3 strips of fur or hide)
  • Options
    Everyone remembers TMW they said "oh wow, that guy has a cool weapon" only for it to not be lootable. :(

I do hope some element of OP's idea is incorporated.
  • Options
    That would be fun, with someone using dragon scales on their armor meaning that they killed a dragon, and standard metal being that you want cheap armor.
  • Options
    Right. And it doesn't even have to be mechanically different. Dragon scales are not any better than regular plate, but it would allow your appearance to be a sort of record of your accomplishments.

But even if not this, it would be cool to get monster specific decorations from those creatures.
  • Options
    Great ideas. However, I'm not sure about how easy it is to implement some of these ideas.
  • Options
    Great ideas. Hope it's implementable.
  • Options
    neuroguyneuroguy Member
    edited September 2020
    Balrog21 wrote: »
    Pretty neat idea, I do like the idea of getting what you want from the dead mob...i.e. teeth, scales, claws, or just the hide instead of just a random thing. But I can also see this getting tedious down the line. Then I can also see this increasing as your gathering skill increases. I.e. your first time out you only get x of one thing off the mob(say one to two claws), but as your gathering increases you get more items from the mob.(5 teeth, 3 claws, 3 strips of fur or hide)

Some games already have some form of this implemented. Like I think in BDO depending on if you have a tanning knife or butcher knife equipped you get either leather/hide or meat form the mob you killed. What I propose is to just streamline this. When you try harvesting from a particular mob you will just be provided with a small UI where you click the parts that you wish to harvest (granted you have appropriate tools). If you also have the option of checking off a box that won't prompt you for future harvests of that same mob for the rest of the day (so you will continue to harvest the same things) that would remove any tedious extra clicks and you can change this harvest list by holding shift the next time you harvest or something easy like that.

Now depending on your crafting level you would be given a certain number of harvests for example I have 2 harvests and I can try to harvest meat, hide/fur, teeth and claws. Some ways of implementing this: I could pick meat and teeth. Or I could pick meat twice or I could only pick meat and my un-used harvest will give my selected harvest a boost in rarity or something

If you bring multiple gatherers to a boss fight and kill that dragon, each can try to harvest what they wish based on what the guild asks them to, or which piece of gear they wish to craft etc.
  • Options
    @winner909098 @TheGoodzilla

Yeah exactly. I think implementation-wise this should be super easy... it's literally the same as adding skins. But it does add some heavier work load in terms of making more assets/textures w.e and provides a lot more assets, for free, to players. But based on what I was lead to believe from crafting being very customizable, this may just make sense to do. And you don't need to allow for dramatic decorations like dragon scale instead of plate metal but even if it's like a dye system where depending on what colored dragon scales you use, you can create that color variant of already dragonscale armor, that would be cool. I don't like dyes solving all creative/aesthetic crafting problems, and even then I think making dyes should involve gatherable items (e.g. you grind some plants to get this color or that color) and they should not be easily bought from stores.

Essentially what I'm asking for is to tie together the gathering professions to crafting aesthetics and fashion. This will allow crafters/fashionistas to hunt down materials to create the look they want but also allows functional crafted gear (where the crafter isn't interested in the look) to reflect the local geography/flora/fauna. I think identifying a "local" adventurer because they are wearing leather tunic from the local tigers vs a "foreigner" rocking black panther leather from another part of the world is super cool and creates a lot of organic social interactions ("where did you farm that leather?") and acts like in-game achievement show off where you can put on display your hard earned trophies. A lot of games recognize the importance of visually being able to show off your accomplishments as a major driving force for players to engage with game content. Achievements, titles, house decorations etc are all examples of this. Crafted gear aesthetics feels like another natural fit.
  • Options
    Reminds me of Monster Hunter series, in which all your equipment are made from scales / leather / shell / bone / teeth / fur from various dragons & monsters, and the monster you mats came from heavily influences the appearance of your gear.

However, I guess it takes significant effort from a whole team of artists to create all those different 3D models ...
  • Options
    That would be fun, with someone using dragon scales on their armor meaning that they killed a dragon, and standard metal being that you want cheap armor.

Adding onto this, such a feat should be very hard. Putting effort into allowing us to decorate armor with trophies is a waste if the trophies are meaningless, or, anyone can queue for the dungeon and get the same scales.
  • Options
    Reminds me of Monster Hunter series, in which all your equipment are made from scales / leather / shell / bone / teeth / fur from various dragons & monsters, and the monster you mats came from heavily influences the appearance of your gear.

However, I guess it takes significant effort from a whole team of artists to create all those different 3D models ...

Well yes and no. My naive understanding is that there would be no need to create new 3D models which is a big chunk of the work. It's just textures to apply to the same 3D models, which I believe is significantly less work. Kind of like alternate color schemes for gear. I could be wrong though.
  • Options
    I thought you were goona post about PvP crafting from dead bodies.....Like cutting off a head and turning into a trophy.

xKMTkyZ.jpg
  • Options
    I thought you were goona post about PvP crafting from dead bodies.....Like cutting off a head and turning into a trophy.

Lmaoo nope, but I mean if you had a way to signify how successful a bounty hunter you are would be cool :P doesn't need to be scalps on your belt though... hahaha.

• Options
    From an RP standpoint I've always had this 'issue' looting unreasonable/unrealistic items from the various beast in nature. Sure... If I looted a helmet from a crocodile I could tell myself;

"Ah, I see. So this fearsome beast swallowed a man whole?! Dreadful! And all that was left was his helmet...? The poor soul. I have avenged you, dear friend of mankind!"

But after killing a forest rabbit and looting a trident-polearm I'm stuck with;

"How in F***S name did this fit in tha....?! Ugh, never mind...."

I like the more realistic loot pools. I don't think I should be getting copper & silver every time I kill a bear or wolf.

Steven Sharif is my James Halliday (Anorak)

Lore-Banner-Ao-C.png

“That is not dead which can eternal lie,
    And with strange aeons even death may die.”

-HPL
  • Options
    neuroguyneuroguy Member
    edited October 2020
    From an RP standpoint I've always had this 'issue' looting unreasonable/unrealistic items from the various beast in nature. Sure... If I looted a helmet from a crocodile I could tell myself;

"Ah, I see. So this fearsome beast swallowed a man whole?! Dreadful! And all that was left was his helmet...? The poor soul. I have avenged you, dear friend of mankind!"

But after killing a forest rabbit and looting a trident-polearm I'm stuck with;

"How in F***S name did this fit in tha....?! Ugh, never mind...."

I like the more realistic loot pools. I don't think I should be getting copper & silver every time I kill a bear or wolf.

Hahaha yeah absolutely. I love the system of making mobs drop sensible loot that you then sell for money (I believe they call the items credits?).

Edit: they are called certificates not credit, thanks @FuryBladeborne
  • Options
    FuryBladeborneFuryBladeborne Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Certificates, which simply refers to things such as hooves, antlers, etc.