Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

A feature no one knew they needed

arodicusarodicus Member, Phoenix Initiative, Hero of the People
A grapple hook like from worlds adrift.

If I could shoot a grapple hook and reel in and out flinging around even if it’s restricted compared to that game I would be ecstatic. Even if it’s only usable in under realm or only on ships or something like that.

It makes sense to have one from an immersion stand point exploring a new world coming from a scientific based society.

How would you feel to have such a feature? If you haven’t seen it look up worlds adrift from YouTube and I’m sure you can find some videos from before the servers shut down.

Comments

• Options
    I'd like to see some form of vertical traversal in the game, other than flying mounts. I don't know if a grapple hook specifically would work, but I'd like to be able to actually climb in the game. How are we supposed to traverse deep caves without some form of climbing? I'd prefer it to be free-form but without making it annoying like Conan Exiles, where everyone can climb literally anything. A huge castle? Doesn't matter, a two man raid team can solo scale it and crawl in through the windows.
  • Options
    Allowing climbing in game is a very difficult task to implement. It adds a lot of work outside of just animations for game design. But I do believe gliding mounts and other fun forms of areal traversal are already planned. You may yet have some super-smash style multiple jump mechanic via abilities and gliding mounts and such. We'll see.

Personally I actually loved the super freedom of Conan Exiles climbing and I think BDO did a nice iteration of the sliding down slopes things that Conan kind of had too. But free climbing, I could do without. I think if you have some jump mechanics via mounts or class abilities and gliding mounts, I'll be a happy camper.
  • Options
    Intrepid already has intentions for Rogues and Rangers, to be able to climb walls and parquar.

There are videos, out there. I recall seeing a rogue climb a siege wall.

They want to hide things from us, to exploit these skills (ie. Hiding loot behind a secret passage, tough to get to.), making these classes viable for groups, and not just DPS.
  • Options
    Reminds me of Ghost of Tsushima.

But then the grappling hook should probably be limited to rogue / ranger (or arguably fighter) archetypes. Seeing a full-plated warrior or (supposedly physically) fragile mage/cleric grapple hook just feels wrong.

Yet in that case game balancing comes into question. What should rogue/ranger lose as a trade off for such mobility? Or should every other archetype receive some sort of unique mobility skill? (I remember seeing a mage-ish character levitate herself through a gap to the other side in one of the Ashes videos)
  • Options
    Grappling hook to board enemy ships.
  • Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited September 2020
    It is said that rogues get to have a grappling hook, but that information is REALLY outdated.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    Reminds me of Ghost of Tsushima.

But then the grappling hook should probably be limited to rogue / ranger (or arguably fighter) archetypes. Seeing a full-plated warrior or (supposedly physically) fragile mage/cleric grapple hook just feels wrong.

Yet in that case game balancing comes into question. What should rogue/ranger lose as a trade off for such mobility? Or should every other archetype receive some sort of unique mobility skill? (I remember seeing a mage-ish character levitate herself through a gap to the other side in one of the Ashes videos)

No worse than watching someone swimming quite well in plate armor or even full robes (waterlogged robes can be quite cumbersome). I highly doubt they are going to make anyone strip to go undersea so, I don't know.
    isFikWd2_o.jpg