The Buffed Boss and you.

I was watching the Paradox Gaming Network stream, yesterday, when the host brought up a video with Steven, Jeff and another fella (sorry I don't know the staff) were talking about Bosses.

What I heard was; Bosses will be effected by surrounding nodes, based on type and size.

How I interpreted this: The surrounding nodes will "buff" the Boss, making the Boss different on every encounter.

So, let's say, you have a Boss in a Stage 5 Economic Node, and has X,Y stats and abilities (standard game boss). Because it's next to a stage 3 divine node, it now receives Z ability. And because of the stage 4 military node, the Boss now receives A,B,C boosts. Those tiny nodes (1-2) surrounding our spawn node, might only offer hit point and resistances. You follow me?

This means no Boss will ever be the same, no matter the node or server. The combinations are almost boundless (4 node types x 6 node stages x number of surrounding nodes, etc).

I am amazed how Intrepid is really trying to break the mold, with all these new mechanics (nodes, caravans, arch classes, tab/action, Bosses, etc). What's next? And what do you think about this Boss Mechanic, and how ZOIs have a bigger impact on the world? What other secrets is Intrepid hiding? 😋

Comments

• It sounds great and all, but if the boss can be zerged down easily, none of this will matter.
  • I dont think we should bring zerg discussion in here.

As for the dynamic outlook on spawned bosses. I am truly curious if it is going to be just X abilities per node type that are chosen as a "soup" for the boss or if the specific node compilation is going to give unique boss encounter.

The dynamic system for raids looks amazing, but so did the system in No Man's Sky. Right now all we know is that they have taken a big bite and have a lot of work to do to make that system live up to the expectation that Steven's description brought
    “Ignorance, the root and stem of all evil.”

― Plato
  • CaptnChuckCaptnChuck Member
    edited September 2020
    Tragnar wrote: »
    I dont think we should bring zerg discussion in here.

As for the dynamic outlook on spawned bosses. I am truly curious if it is going to be just X abilities per node type that are chosen as a "soup" for the boss or if the specific node compilation is going to give unique boss encounter.

The dynamic system for raids looks amazing, but so did the system in No Man's Sky. Right now all we know is that they have taken a big bite and have a lot of work to do to make that system live up to the expectation that Steven's description brought

Why not? A boss can have a lot of mechanics, but if it cannot account for player randomness, none of it will matter. (Player randomness includes both, the no. of player, and the actions of said players)

Any mechanic that doesn't punish you for not reacting accordingly is not a mechanic in my books. Its just something that exists for show. When 50 people attack a boss, its very difficult for mechanics to actually matter UNLESS there is a strong anti zerging mechanic that exists in the game. We know that Intrepid are working on it, but I don't think many people realize just how important it is to get that right.
  • I would rather keep this discussion under the assumption that mechanics will matter and have the zerg discussion in a zerg thread
    “Ignorance, the root and stem of all evil.”

― Plato
  • PandiumPandium Member, Settler, Kickstarter
    I think we need paradox to make stream about this so he can use it to promote his affilate links. We still cant forget his fails for defending archeage^^ anyway hes still aau mod on reddit and he became official creator for this great game, sad....
  • CaptnChuck wrote: »
    It sounds great and all, but if the boss can be zerged down easily, none of this will matter.

More insightful and uplifting rhetoric from CaptnObvious.
  • Tragnar wrote: »
    I would rather keep this discussion under the assumption that mechanics will matter and have the zerg discussion in a zerg thread

he doesn't care. He is just here to push his agenda. If that means, spamming the same points in every post closely related to his topics, then he will do so.