Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Thanks

I am one of the disillusioned gamers who has been waiting for a game like ashes of creation. Long have I tried and failed since the days of Shadowbane, Lineage 2, and early Archeage to find a game with the fundamentals of what I believe can be an immersive, enjoyable, and lasting game. Archeage failed, Crowfall is failing, Albion online no, and so on and so on. So, I just came here to say thanks for keeping the dream alive.

Comments

• Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited September 2020
    shadiss wrote: »
    I am one of the disillusioned gamers who has been waiting for a game like ashes of creation. Long have I tried and failed since the days of Shadowbane, Lineage 2, and early Archeage to find a game with the fundamentals of what I believe can be an immersive, enjoyable, and lasting game. Archeage failed, Crowfall is failing, Albion online no, and so on and so on. So, I just came here to say thanks for keeping the dream alive.

I'll be honest, it is no surprise at all that those games are failing.

A persistent PvP heavy game is a hard thing to create. You have two or more groups of players, and you send them in against each other. You are then obliged to give the winner a reward from that, which means they are more likely to win the next time.

The problem here is that as developers, you want all of those groups above to stay in your game. Even though you are making it so the group that wins this round will be more likely to win the next round, which makes them more likely to win every successive round, you still need to keep the people that are losing all of those rounds in the game somehow.

This is the key to a PvP game that literally no developer has managed to do yet. This is why Crowfall is the game that it is - and in my opinion that is a poor solution to the problem.

While I seriously hope Intrepid have a plan for dealing with this specific issue, I have yet to see it, or to hear any mention of a possible solution to it.

As such, I personally believe it is too early to say "thanks" in the manner that you are.
  • Options
    Well, at some point they will have to put it all together and hope it works - you can only plan so much. If it does come together, Ill be sure to be thankful, and regardless I am still thankful for the effort they are putting into it so far.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    shadiss wrote: »
    If it does come together, Ill be sure to be thankful
    As will I.

However, I personally don't thank people for attempts at things - but if you do that's all good.