Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Suggestion to make switching combat modes more seamless

uaouao Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
edited September 2020 in General Discussion
Right now, changing combat mode between the tab target cursor mode and action crosshair seems rather clunky to me.
As an attempt to make it better lets first summarize how it currently works:
In tab target mode you can turn the camera by holding the left mouse button without turning the character and by holding the right mousebutton instead you can turn the camera and also turn the character towards where you are looking.
In action mode you dont press any mousebutton and the character is always facing where your camera is looking and in the middle of your screen appears a crosshair.
To transition between the two modes each time an extra arbitrary button is needed to be pressed and the camera repositions itself.
This leads to the situation where people will most likely just choose the mode they prefer and stick to it during combat as much as they are alowed to, because clicking a button that doesnt move you and doesnt trigger an ability during combat and also moving your camera in an uncontrolled manner as seen here in the stream at 16min 8-9seconds: https://youtu.be/8WQ_BBwK5LA?t=968 (note: it might not look tooo bad at stevens current camera angle in that situation, but imagine you are currently fully zoomed out and activate action mode and it zooms you far in automaticaly..),
it kind of breaks the flow of the fight which is not great because every second matters.
Its not really hybrid combat, instead it is 'i want action combat but this and that requires me to activate tab target' and vice versa.

So here is my idea:
Instead we take the best of both worlds and integrate them directly into eachother.
It would work like this:
You dont click any mousebutton and it will move your cursor like in tab target.
Holding down the left mousebutton will move the camera like tab.
Holding down the right mousebutton will make a crosshair appear in the middle of the screen and let you turn camera and character at the same time, basicaly moving like tab target with also showing a crosshair.
(just holding down the right mousebutton will not reposition the camera if you are not moving the mouse)
This way tab target will function as you would expect as usual.
Action attacks will be aimed towards the crosshair while right click is hold down,
and when right click is not pressed but the camera is still aligned with the character(left click was not pressed since last right click)the crosshair will still be visible and the attack will still go towards it.
However when you move the camera with left click the crosshair will fade out and by using an action combat skill it will aim towards where your character is facing in a straight line independent of the camera position.

This suggested mode could either be always active or be activated with a toggle in the games options, as variety is always great.

What do you guys think? Did i get my point across? English is not my first language :)