Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Meta KILLER!

Seems the mantra in todays MMO scene is "There will always be a meta" If you listen close enough you can here the droning of a thousand jaded zombies repeating "there will always be a meta, there will always be a meta". But does that have to be true?

If you think over complicating gear and talents will do the trick, you're wrong.

The meta killer is.... Class, and Racial resistances and not being able to change specs at the drop of a hat to be more effective against another player(PVP) or a raid boss(PVE).

I remember a time in a certain MMO when what you went into the dungeon as was it, and if you wanted to re-spec you had to hearth, pay a fee, and get summoned back, or you were hoofin' it back. Otherwise your raid team had to live with the fact that the frost mages weren't going to be as effective as fire mages. It was cool, nothing wrong with that, we kept ourselves entertained.

I remember being in a battle ground and seeing a class/spec that had a resistance to DOTs or shadow damage coming at me and I'd have to get the hell out of dodge. It was fun, that guy was my nemesis for the battle ground and I watched out for him.

Homogenization kills the game, if everyone is equally effective against everything then who cares what you choose. Bring on the Meta.

AoC it's resistances that bring on diversity and that is what makes race/class/talent selection so much fun, when they actually mean something. PLEASE heed what I say. I say it because I love you and want this game to make my dreams come true. ;)

Hit me up @Ixanthylus on Twitter

Comments

• Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I'm pretty sure Steven already said he's against being able to respec on the spot.
    I don't have any sources, but my brain is telling me I saw it somewhere.

This is how rumours start, isn't it?
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    maouw wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure Steven already said he's against being able to respec on the spot.
    I don't have any sources, but my brain is telling me I saw it somewhere.

This is how rumours start, isn't it?

i have seen him say this somewhere as well.

I agree, it a breath of fresh air to have mmo where ur choices matter and you cant keep switching between classes on the go as if it was ur gender...
  • Options
    KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    There will always be a meta though regardless of being able to switch classes quickly or not (which I am against). It's just how any game makes sense. Balancing a game to the point where every player is on equal footing isn't fun. This game will require teamwork to win in fights. We won't know what that meta is until we play. I do believe they will do a good job of allowing various types of groups to be viable. Certain combos of classes will just simply work well together. Also ,if you like the idea of hoofin it back....you're going to love AoC lol
  • Options
    Great post, OP. Unfortunately, there will always be a meta. Not trying to be a defeatest, just a fact. Meta effects our daily life. We all live under a microscope. ☹️

Tank and healer is meta. If any class, could do what they do, then maybe, you'd have less meta, but still at the root to meta.

The trick is; have as much viable variety as possible. (Ie. 64 classes, viable boss encounters, etc.). Then, perhaps, meta might be mitigated. But, then you'll have FotM.

In AoC, the only fixed "augments" are; Race and Primary Archtype (class). Everything else is flexible/changeable, as they can be respected (most likely). So, it'll take some time for the meta to really kick in.

So, until the FotM gets worked out, I don't see meta being an issue, for some time. 😁
  • Options
    I'll join the zombies for the lols.

There will always be a meta.

There is always going to be a meta because that is how people play the game. I'll take 15+ years of seeing it happen vs. your post.
    Kneczhevo wrote: »
    Great post, OP. Unfortunately, there will always be a meta.

• Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited September 2020
    My take on the meta:
    Without damage meters or other tools, it will be pretty hard to establish one.

Additionally: Armor is not class restricted and craftsmen can choose what stats get on what piece of gear.
    A mage with a greatsword could be as good as a mage with a staff.

I myself plan to make my "own" meta.
    Heavy armor, Bard, Tulnar, Halberd with extreme focus on a choice few spells/abilities.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    Damokles wrote: »
    My take on the meta:

Additionally: Armor is not class restricted and craftsmen can choose what stats get on what piece of gear.

Heavy armor, Bard, Tulnar, Halberd with extreme focus on a choice few spells/abilities.

@Damokles that's probably not true.

Content Creators will put up writen and video guies in no-time, which will establish the "meta". Whether they are correct or not doesn't matter. Popular streamers and youtubers will set the meta.
  • Options
    Even if there were infinite amount of options available to pick and choose there would still be a meta... until some1 finds a better build and that becomes new meta.

Meta is like death and taxes - always guaranteed.
  • Options
    If done properly. I think Ashes meta could be more comp based rather than class based but its extremely difficult to look at the class chart and not assume that the primary/primary of each archetype won't end up being the strongest version. Want the best AOE damage (Mage/Mage) Want the strongest group buffs (Bard/Bard) Obviously, its super early to make that assumption but it could happen. Is a meta bad? I don't think so but my play style is less geared toward immersion or being unique and more focused on how myself or team can win pvp fights. And I kind of dislike the fact that we are limited to 2 subtypes. I really enjoyed the idea of selecting a mage and then based on what I'm doing respecing. Am I solo pvp roaming (Mage/Rouge) large scale siege (Mage/Mage) Am I bored of casting and want to melee (Mage/Fighter) For pve, am I tired of dps let me be a tank (Mage/Tank) we have no sustain let me heal (Mage/Cleric) etc. Some of this is probably resolved by weapon choice but just general examples.
  • Options
    TacualeonTacualeon Member
    edited September 2020
    Ixanthylus wrote: »
    "there will always be a meta, there will always be a meta". But does that have to be true?

Yes. Humans like optimizing things and dislike risks.
  • Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Warth wrote: »
    Damokles wrote: »
    My take on the meta:

@Damokles that's probably not true.

Content Creators will put up writen and video guies in no-time, which will establish the "meta". Whether they are correct or not doesn't matter. Popular streamers and youtubers will set the meta.

Most content creators dont go through the effort to make their "own" builds. They go for Icy-veins and take the first build they see. The people there make the builds and stat distributions with complex mathematics and dps meters.

A meta is something that lasts more then a few days to switch to another build. A meta wont exist for the first month. I could think that it will take more time then normal to establish on in Ashes, and please not that I never said anything about there NOT being a meta. I just said that it will be harder to establish one and that it will take time.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited September 2020
    Ixanthylus wrote: »
    Seems the mantra in todays MMO scene is "There will always be a meta" If you listen close enough you can here the droning of a thousand jaded zombies repeating "there will always be a meta, there will always be a meta". But does that have to be true?

If you think over complicating gear and talents will do the trick, you're wrong.

The meta killer is.... Class, and Racial resistances and not being able to change specs at the drop of a hat to be more effective against another player(PVP) or a raid boss(PVE).

The meta of any game is driven by the content, and when it comes to PvE, the harder the content, the stricter the meta. Taking WoW as an example, if you are just doing open world stuff, or LFR or even normal raids, you can pretty much use whatever build you want and nobody will care. However, if you are looking to do mythic raiding, the fights are so tightly tuned that you NEED to follow the meta in order to succeed.

The problem occurs when players demand the meta for situations that don't really require it. I saw this a lot in GW2 raiding where the fights are a lot less tightly tuned than WoW's mythic raids, and yet groups were so strict when it came to the meta. If you weren't using the exact team comp that the meta demanded, you were kicked.

Looking at the PvP side, you only really need to play the meta at the higher levels of competitive gameplay where players are able to produce the most out of their characters, and every small scrap of advantage matters. That's why if you watch competitive League of Legends you will typically only see a very small selection of champions being picked. However, if you're playing in low level ranked matches, the meta is less important because the players there aren't using the champions to their full potential.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options
    XenotexXenotex Member
    edited September 2020
    Great post, OP. Unfortunately, there will always be a meta. Not trying to be a defeatest, just a fact. Meta effects our daily life. We all live under a microscope. ☹️

Tank and healer is meta. If any class, could do what they do, then maybe, you'd have less meta, but still at the root to meta.

The trick is; have as much viable variety as possible. (Ie. 64 classes, viable boss encounters, etc.). Then, perhaps, meta might be mitigated. But, then you'll have FotM.

In AoC, the only fixed "augments" are; Race and Primary Archtype (class). Everything else is flexible/changeable, as they can be respected (most likely). So, it'll take some time for the meta to really kick in.

So, until the FotM gets worked out, I don't see meta being an issue, for some time. 😁

Open world PvX dungeons would break that system to pieces though right? If Augments and gear have enough impact on the field as they say they do then Meta wouldn't matter as much as team synergy and skill. Thinking on your feet when you need to counter an entire team trying to wipe you in the middle of a dungeon or at a boss fight will mean it will be detrimental to have a Meta PvE build or just a Meta PvP build, therefore it would be wise to play a class you actually enjoy that is effective in PvE while still being capable of handling a skirmish in the open world, not every single build will fit a Meta and sometimes people just won't even know how to counter an odd team synergy they aren't used to fighting at all. That's the dream anyways.
    095qsq35ir73.png
  • Options
    Xenotex wrote: »

Open world PvX dungeons would break that system to pieces though right? If Augments and gear have enough impact on the field as they say they do then Meta wouldn't matter as much as team synergy and skill. Thinking on your feet when you need to counter an entire team trying to wipe you in the middle of a dungeon or at a boss fight will mean it will be detrimental to have a Meta PvE build or just a Meta PvP build, therefore it would be wise to play a class you actually enjoy that is effective in PvE while still being capable of handling a skirmish in the open world, not every single build will fit a Meta and sometimes people just won't even know how to counter an odd team synergy they aren't used to fighting at all. That's the dream anyways.

That certainly is the dream.
  • Options
    If open world dungeons will see high PvP activity then you will most certainly see meta builds include things for PvP or more specifically the meta will be around specs that are best for PvE with highest utilities for PvP - which actually limits builds, because many specs won't be accepted by players, because they will lack with utilities for PvP or just severaly slowing everyone down in dungeons by bringing garbage amount of damage as a damage dealing class
    “Ignorance, the root and stem of all evil.”

― Plato
  • Options
    Balrog21Balrog21 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    @Xenotex I think with all the variables that come into play with nodes, bosses, raid bosses, and open world bosses it will be a long time before any reliable meta comes out....even with the nodes and what they unlock and the cover up will be staggering.
  • Options
    If they were able to make every class valuable and balanced which nearly never happens, there could be many metas and not just one. Make every class as good as the next. If you can't do that then don't put in bad classes. Nerfing sucks. Limit nerfing as much as possible and work on buffing.
  • Options
    I totally agree, the only downside of this approach is accelerated power creep

― Plato
  • Options
    If they were able to make every class valuable and balanced which nearly never happens, there could be many metas and not just one. Make every class as good as the next. If you can't do that then don't put in bad classes. Nerfing sucks. Limit nerfing as much as possible and work on buffing.

Even so, Meta will still be a thing, because even though you make every class valuable the same, some will be easier or harder to play. And meta is usually Strong-Easy>Strong-Hard. So Easiest class to play will be meta.
  • Options
    Efforts to make meta not being possible is the same effort as trying to change human nature.

If you are into changing mankind then go for it. If you have no power people won't bother with you, if you have power you will be called dictator.

What is so wrong with allowing people play games the way they like them. If people love meta and follow it, then they will always create it.

― Plato
  • Options
    mrwafflesmrwaffles Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Tragnar wrote: »
    Efforts to make meta not being possible is the same effort as trying to change human nature.

If you are into changing mankind then go for it. If you have no power people won't bother with you, if you have power you will be called dictator.

What is so wrong with allowing people play games the way they like them. If people love meta and follow it, then they will always create it.

Bad players who think they are the "true" MMO players love to shit on anything that they think makes them bad. DPS meters, the "meta", leveling time, etc...etc....etc. You see it in any new MMO when the forums are flooded with nonsense like this.

The absolute irony of you saying this makes me laugh. You are the most toxic person I've seen on this forum these past 3 years. You contribute nothing to discussions and insult others to simply make your self sound more important. When others are excited about something you crap on their ideas. You look for confrontation and seek confirmation. When I read your comments I imagine you cracking your knuckles and saying, "oh I'm going to make this dude cry”.

Just once I encourage you to discuss and not discourage. Because in the end you know you'll give IS your money and will be playing AoC right along side everyone you're making fun of.
    E6qgOoi.png
  • Options
    Meta wont have alot of impact on the game cuz of the game ia layed out,team play and so many other variets that will be hard to duplicait the same build & items when rhere will be one of a kind items u wont be able to create one best build,the idea of the game in my opinion is that every class support each other and is strong on its on,so each players will be uniqe.
  • Options
    Littlekenny21Littlekenny21 Member
    edited September 2020
    What defines a meta?

I think of a meta as just the currently agreed most effective way to do something which could be to the detail of these classes with these skills and these items doing these things or just simply the meta is to run 3 tanks, 3 healers, 2 dps in this dungeon, so to me, there will be a meta pretty quickly which will change as people discover more.

Also with my understanding of a meta, I don't see why it would be an issue to have one.

My interpretation of a meta could be different to what most people think though.
  • Options
    @mrwaffles
    While I oftentimes do not share his antagonistic approach he actually has a point here that relates to this thread - so please call him out in threads where he actually doesnt contribute towards the discussion. Almost all bad players are using these points(DPS meters, the "meta", leveling time, etc...) to make excuses for themselves instead of focusing on getting better. All I took from his post is the notion that people that hate on meters, meta and time investments are a lot of times just bad players trying to hide this fact from others and thus removing credibility for the points against those things.

Good players usually don't hate these things, because they use them to evaluate how they can do things better.

This of course doesnt mean that everybody that hates these things are bad players making excuses. There are a ton of examples of toxic abuse (meters, meta) that give the hate ground to be considered. It is a matter of weighing the pros and cons. So far the only pros for fighting/removing them I have seen are:
    • attempting to fight toxicity by reducing available avenues for expressing toxicity
    • increased difficulty of analyzing customization options (if you count reducing transparency/readibility as valid difficulty for games)
    • reducing UI clutter
    • removing possible distractions from gameplay

Meta and meters go hand in hand that is why i mention meters here as well, because even though meta is inevitable it is also defined by meters if they are available.

― Plato
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    @mrwaffles
    While I oftentimes do not share his antagonistic approach he actually has a point here that relates to this thread - so please call him out in threads where he actually doesnt contribute towards the discussion. Almost all bad players are using these points(DPS meters, the "meta", leveling time, etc...) to make excuses for themselves instead of focusing on getting better. All I took from his post is the notion that people that hate on meters, meta and time investments are a lot of times just bad players trying to hide this fact from others and thus removing credibility for the points against those things.

Good players usually don't hate these things, because they use them to evaluate how they can do things better.

This of course doesnt mean that everybody that hates these things are bad players making excuses. There are a ton of examples of toxic abuse (meters, meta) that give the hate ground to be considered. It is a matter of weighing the pros and cons. So far the only pros for fighting/removing them I have seen are:
    • attempting to fight toxicity by reducing available avenues for expressing toxicity
    • increased difficulty of analyzing customization options (if you count reducing transparency/readibility as valid difficulty for games)
    • reducing UI clutter
    • removing possible distractions from gameplay

Meta and meters go hand in hand that is why i mention meters here as well, because even though meta is inevitable it is also defined by meters if they are available.

Fair point on the call out where it should be. My main feelings towards this and other such threads are the concept of tribalistic views of "better players" "Good player" "Bad players". Why does me wanting to just play with little thought into my dps output make me a bad player? Wanting to add enhancements to a game in the form of increasing or highlighting performance will alienate individuals. Why/When did the MMORPG genre join the competitive play/esport scene?

It's ironic because I am a very competitive player by nature. I made a real good living doing it as a teen and in college but it was never in MMOs. Regardless if that is where the market and the future is heading for MMOs AoC has never given me the impression they want to be that way (except for Apocalypse...eww). The real issue is not Meta but people who use it as a tool to belittle, look down, or otherwise discredit other players who choose to play differently.

I've given this example on this forum, no idea how long ago, but in GW1 my buddy and I created a 55 monk. We were one of the originators. We did it for the lawls and we queued for PVP. We caught so much crap for it but we did surprisingly well. One week later it was the meta/flavor of the week. Now we didn't create the build but were part of it's rise to meta status. It was interesting to see that when we changed to something else we then were hit with insults for not playing a 55 monk.

Lastly, we all should have a good laugh that the OP created their account, posted this thread, named dropped their twitter and then duced out for 2 weeks w/o any more comments (at all not just here). Clearly we all are more passionate then they are about this topic and AoC :D
    E6qgOoi.png
  • Options
    I always look at meters and the meta in raiding to be about squeezing as many little advantages as humanly possible to overcome i big challenge in the raid. I understand that a lot of people just want to play the game decently with their homies and that is completely fine. However why we should actively try to deny people looking for any possible advantages?

Well tbh when I read the OP post again it is kinda funny that he calls strict meta gaming a meta killer. When meta is excluding whole types of specs it is still a meta and as long as there are going to be respecs then people will mostly opt into builds that help them with things that they do

― Plato
  • Options
    I always look at meters and the meta in raiding to be about squeezing as many little advantages as humanly possible to overcome i big challenge in the raid. I understand that a lot of people just want to play the game decently with their homies and that is completely fine. However why we should actively try to deny people looking for any possible advantages?

Well tbh when I read the OP post again it is kinda funny that he calls strict meta gaming a meta killer. When meta is excluding whole types of specs it is still a meta and as long as there are going to be respecs then people will mostly opt into builds that help them with things that they do

lol right! TBH saw one of your posts about rogue and crits and was like "this dude get its". I'm just as guilty as looking up builds to get that number higher, but I will glass cannon the crap out of my character to get a higher crit even if the build is complete trash.

To your advantages comment let 'em have them. If I get one upped in pvp because of someone knowing their rotations better then most (due to meters, builds, or w/e else) right on is what I say. My dumb builds will for sure never make meta, and ill not even be considered in competitive raid clearing, but if I want to play some PUG dungeon i shouldn't have to constantly have to defend my self as being a "good player"
    E6qgOoi.png
  • Options
    TragnarTragnar Member
    edited September 2020
    Needing to defend yourself inside a pug dungeon is the fault of teleportation and fast travel - not the fault of the meta. Reason is that the game needs to punish replacing people in pugs with time wasted traveling. I can say from experience that you will rather clear the dungeon in 50minutes instead of 40 rather than to wait 20minutes on a new player to agree to come and then travel to the dungeon.

When the game treats players as disposable nameless thrash then the players take the same stance against each other and judge each other only by the dps placement. I highly doubt that you will need to defend average builds in Ashes

― Plato