Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

How powerful will the servers be?

The game can have all the features in the world, if the game will lag out when there are 10 people on the screen this game won''t go anywhere.

Since siege battle will have lots of players I'm expecting top notch servers

I want huge large scale pvp battle to be possible , this is the whole point of an mmo

This is something i dont see discussed very often but is probably one of the most important things that needs to be very good.

Comments

• Options
    arsnnarsnn Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    Roughly 3 power. But that’s just an estimation
  • Options
    KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    arsnn wrote: »

No way dude. I know IS has the money but I don't think they will supply 3 power servers until they know it will be successful. We will probably get 2.5 power servers for launch and they upgrade later if needed. At 2.5 though, we can still get the system speeds to overclock at 1.21 Gigawatts at least.
  • Options
    Since Siege's are a focal point, and they are going to accommodate 500 players, I don't foresee an issue.

If Intrepid fails to deliver, with these numbers, they "will" crash and burn, because that's a focal point to their core design.

Am I apprehensive? Sure. But we now have technology that can support the numbers (unlike past decades). Unless, Intrepid decides to save a few bucks, and go with some used crappy server provider, which I doubt.
  • Options
    KarfunkelTVKarfunkelTV Member
    edited September 2020
    Steven did touch on this matter on stream, well not specific on the power of the servers but on the new technology they have today and the limitations game developers had in the past. He said, he always wished for real multi massive gameplay and that today they have the tools to provide it. That's really everything I can say for now.
  • Options
    LyiatLyiat Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    KHRONUS wrote: »
    arsnn wrote: »

No way dude. I know IS has the money but I don't think they will supply 3 power servers until they know it will be successful. We will probably get 2.5 power servers for launch and they upgrade later if needed. At 2.5 though, we can still get the system speeds to overclock at 1.21 Gigawatts at least.

540t8wcgb5651.jpg

In all seriousness, though, we don't have exact specifications on how powerful the servers are supposed to be. Enough to support a population of 10,000 people on at a single time, and enough to support battles of 500 players at once.
  • Options
    arsnnarsnn Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    edited September 2020
    Its not like server power is the only determinant on how much you can scale the entities in the game.
    Optimisation of communication, server process offloading,spatial transations of instances and scaling, the amount of server entities that are tied to a mega server and so on are all factors that tie into that.

Dunno do you expect us to post the server specs?
    We do know that intrepid will use AWS, that´s all on the hardware part.
    And Intrepid is determined to provide probably the most ambitious software solution there currently is to optimally use the AWS hardware.
  • Options
    As much of a communication confusion AoC Apocalypse caused, it was exactly this topic why they created the quick battle royal game, to test this.

They discovered some major issues in the backend that required rework to solve. Luckily they caught it early, and not in later stages of beta.

With the latest cloud technologies (auto scaling) and solid coding practices, 500 players in a single siege should be a goal they can achieve.

Fingers crossed they are able to do it!
  • Options
    screwtape wrote: »
    As much of a communication confusion AoC Apocalypse caused, it was exactly this topic why they created the quick battle royal game, to test this.

They discovered some major issues in the backend that required rework to solve. Luckily they caught it early, and not in later stages of beta.

With the latest cloud technologies (auto scaling) and solid coding practices, 500 players in a single siege should be a goal they can achieve.

but how can't blizzard manage this?

you can search on the current state of wow and even on classic, when an opposing faction tries to attack the enemy faction capital city everything is unplayable

i really doulbt that blizzard which is such a big company doesn''t manage to acomplish this or doesn't want to and this small company can instead
  • Options
    Blizzard is only interested in; the bottom line and profits, as they should. If it works, don't fix it, is very effective and standard business model.

I can speculate that Blizzard reintroduced Classic WoW, so they can tweek the Retail WoW. Just like Coke did in the 80s with new coke and classic coke. But, I have no idea, and that's just my conspiracy theory. 😜
  • Options

you can search on the current state of wow and even on classic, when an opposing faction tries to attack the enemy faction capital city everything is unplayable

i really doulbt that blizzard which is such a big company doesn''t manage to acomplish this or doesn't want to and this small company can instead

Blizzards code/servers/architecture was written for running on dedicated VMs. VERY VERY old architecture, to update an application (game) to switch from VM architecture to server-less/scalable/PaaS (platform as a service) architecture would require a significant amount of recoding and fundamentally redoing the entire game. Thus why Blizzard hasn't and probably never will rewrite the entire game.

AoC is starting from scratch, and by taking a look at the skills/knowledge/experience required for their job postings, specifically their Cloud Architect, you can tell they are leveraging the latest cloud services available.

I do this for a living, and trust me, the performance improvements and scalability is greatly improved when you design your code to take advantage of server-less microservices. It also lets them scale-down services during non-peak play times, and also take advantage of pay-as-you-go too, both of which are significantly cheaper than buying massive physical servers or dedicated VMs.
  • Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

Blizzards code/servers/architecture was written for running on dedicated VMs. VERY VERY old architecture, to update an application (game) to switch from VM architecture to server-less/scalable/PaaS (platform as a service) architecture would require a significant amount of recoding and fundamentally redoing the entire game. Thus why Blizzard hasn't and probably never will rewrite the entire game.

AoC is starting from scratch, and by taking a look at the skills/knowledge/experience required for their job postings, specifically their Cloud Architect, you can tell they are leveraging the latest cloud services available.

I do this for a living, and trust me, the performance improvements and scalability is greatly improved when you design your code to take advantage of server-less microservices. It also lets them scale-down services during non-peak play times, and also take advantage of pay-as-you-go too, both of which are significantly cheaper than buying massive physical servers or dedicated VMs.

I imagine it's like spending 10+ years writing a book - then realizing it needs to be written as a movie script. R.I.P.
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    Balrog21Balrog21 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    @screwtape have you applied for a job yet?!? :)
  • Options
    Balrog21 wrote: »
    @screwtape have you applied for a job yet?!? :)

Haha thought about it, but San Diego is WAY too expensive for me.
  • Options
    Balrog21Balrog21 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    @screwtape I hear ya, way too costly for me as well...its insane.