A Glimmer of Hope

This may be a little scattered and disorganized at times, but I wanted to post something regarding this game. Please bear with me as this does pertain to Ashes of Creation, just in a long-winded way of arriving at my point.

For the longest time, which now seems like 10+ years games in general have been really poor. Although you occasionally have a game that comes along and reignites the passion for what seems like a dying art form.

Too many times have I looked forward to a games release, only to be demoralized when it is canceled or abandoned after release. This may be a bit of an over exaggeration, but it is almost like getting ptsd now whenever I see a game that shows promise. Not knowing what the future holds for that game. This “money grab” style of development where it almost seems like the game never had any intention of being finished is criminal.

Nowadays the norm for games is early access, followed by a lot of updates or community interaction. Then the game will be in early access for several years and eventually dropped immediately upon release or it won’t release at all. On the other hand, you can wait years for a game to come out from a AAA company only to have it be plagued with game breaking bugs for what seems like months at times. Meanwhile, the game is broken, rather than seeing patches or even information regarding bug fixes. You are updated with “Hey try these 50 new cosmetic items for x amount of money.” (call of duty)

I had so much more stuff in my head that I want to post, but I don’t want to overwhelm any readers with a wall of text. I also would like people to read this and share their opinions as well, as I feel I can’t be alone in this.

This brings me to Ashes of Creation. I genuinely haven’t been this excited about a game being released for ~ 2 ½ decades. I have been happy with things like Skyrim (not the 700 rereleases of it), Oblivion, Final Fantasy 7: Remake, and I’m sure there are a few others. Although the last time I felt this excited for a game would probably be 1996 when I was in elementary school and saw the commercial for Super Mario 64. Sure, there have been good games since then, but seeing Ashes is almost like being a kid again waking up on Christmas morning. That may seem like a cheesy thing to say, but it’s the only way I can describe how I feel regarding this game.

The design direction, features in the game (nodes, housing, etc), class system, pvp, social interaction, open/instanced based dungeons/raids, are all things that I have missed or felt somewhat cheated on in other games. The multitiered alphas and betas to test the game to make sure everything is as close to perfect as it can be at launch. The community interaction, updates, and even the community itself, are all amazing. I am very excited to see where Ashes takes us.

I have faith that Intrepid Studios will pull off something wonderful.

Thank you.

Comments

• Balrog21Balrog21 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    @mccdlibby this is one of the main reasons I started the staff appreciation thread, every Saturday or Sunday you can thank a member of the team if you wish. It's nothing wrong with showing your support and it doesn't cost you anything to do so, be it thanking Steven for taking up the mantle on this endeavor or to the unknown artist that makes a suit if armor they showcase, it's up to you and it will hopefully booster some confidence within the teams ranks and give them some ongoing support they all need.
    I too share you sentiments about the excitement for the game. It's my last great hope for the genre.
  • BricktopBricktop Member
    edited September 2020
    I feel very similar. The MMO genre has been mired with disappointment after disappointment. What looks to be great PvP games get stomped out by Pay 2 Win and/or the devs catering to ultra casual players/whiners to try and keep them around. Devs sell their soul for the almighty dollar sign and kill off their game in the process. Look at L2 and SWG, and now New world and there's just so many others. Modern MMOs and just games in general have a major problem with hand holding and showering players with loot and praise constantly to keep those dopamine hits to the brain flowing, keep you addicted, keep you buying a bunch of insignificant nonsense in the cash shop and of course gambling with loot boxes.

Ashes of Creation really feels like the great last hope for MMO games. If it fails it'll be another 5+ years of crappy WoW clones made by Western devs, with no end in sight for eastern devs putting P2W in the games they create. I already quit MMOs once after the massive disappointment of Archeage and went on a several year counter strike bender. Now that CU is pretty much dead in the water, if ashes is a bust I don't have a good feeling for the future of MMORPGs.
  • Bricktop wrote: »
    I feel very similar. The MMO genre has been mired with disappointment after disappointment. What looks to be great PvP games get stomped out by Pay 2 Win and/or the devs catering to ultra casual players/whiners to try and keep them around. Devs sell their soul for the almighty dollar sign and kill off their game in the process. Look at L2 and SWG, and now New world and there's just so many others. Modern MMOs and just games in general have a major problem with hand holding and showering players with loot and praise constantly to keep those dopamine hits to the brain flowing, keep you addicted, keep you buying a bunch of insignificant nonsense in the cash shop and of course gambling with loot boxes.

Ashes of Creation really feels like the great last hope for MMO games. If it fails it'll be another 5+ years of crappy WoW clones made by Western devs, with no end in sight for eastern devs putting P2W in the games they create. I already quit MMOs once after the massive disappointment of Archeage and went on a several year counter strike bender. Now that CU is pretty much dead in the water, if ashes is a bust I don't have a good feeling for the future of MMORPGs.

haha, story of my life, except it was pubg, then cs go :D
  • Steven did say that the average MMORPG player is like a beaten dog or something like that.
    When i heard that, it really hit me that this is the best description i have yet to hear.
    Year after year after year.Release after Release. Yet one cash grab MMO after the next.
    Now i have come to AoC
    Checked the systems and after all these years, it finally looks like we are getting something good.
    Finally a game that doesn't try to carter to everyone, that doesn't maximize profit.

I am skeptical still, but with no NDA on Alpha 1 i am very hopeful.
    Something i haven't been in many many years.
    53ap2sc6pdgv.gif
  • Great post, OP. Welcome! 🤗

Yes, there are many who share your exact sentiments. You will hear people, here, talking about their past experiences. And you will notice there are some very old gamers, here. We are all hopeful AoC doesn't become another Vaporware Pipedream, and be the next trendsetter. But, as Steven said; he's not making a game for everyone. This really chimed in, with me. That means they have a specific game in mind, and not another clone, we hope.

Don't be afraid, in sharing your voice. Games is still in development, and ideas/suggestions are welcome. Just be careful, it is a PvX game/forum, after all. 😁
  • I'm not even religious, but ive been praying every night " Please Steven, don't fuk us over "
    After many years of disappointment, i really hope this is the one.
    I do love that PvP stuff :)
    I tell you what i know about Dwarf's.
    Very little
  • VarkunVarkun Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I guess the thing that hooked me way back in KS was the fact that Steven is a gamer just like me, that is where he is coming from with his desire to create AOC.
    3KAqRIf.png
    Close your eyes spread your arms and always trust your cape.
  • Thanks for all of the replies, I'm glad to see I'm not alone in this. I can't get enough of this game (reading, watching, listening, to anything I can get my hands on).
  • Same here,only game i waited for like this was GW in 2004
  • I'm hoping to be whisked off to a magical land again and be surrounded by players all buzzing with pure excitment, I lost that feeling a long time ago and I'm hoping beyond hope to feel this again with all of you
  • BricktopBricktop Member
    edited September 2020
    volsh wrote: »
    I'm hoping to be whisked off to a magical land again and be surrounded by players all buzzing with pure excitment, I lost that feeling a long time ago and I'm hoping beyond hope to feel this again with all of you

What was that game for you @volsh ? It was Lineage 2 for me before it all went to hell. I had a lot of fun running gank squads through Varka and Ketra looking for the enemy. Fighting in Baiums tower and in the forest of the dead. It was just so much fun to me grinding mobs and PvPing all day with some occasional bosses here and there. I really liked crafting in that game as well and setting up my player shop in a sea of other player shops and trying to make a catchy title. I can barely remember half of it. It was years and years ago. Hoping to find that really fun MMO again one last time that I can put a lot of time into.
  • maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    @Bricktop
    I love games where everyone sets up their own stalls!
    It's definitely more tedious than an auction house, but thrill of hunting for bargains and just browsing the market in general is something you don't do with an auction house.
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • TyrantorTyrantor Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I really like that auction houses are going to be limited and localized, they kill so much of the social dynamic in these games. I remember a time when strangers used to give gear and items freely just because you guys talked or played together for a brief period versus the greed that auction houses create.
    Tyrantor
    Master Assassin
    (Yes same Tyrantor from Shadowbane)
    Book suggestions:
    Galaxy Outlaws books 1-16.5, Metagamer Chronicles, The Land litrpg series, Ready Player One, Zen in the Martial Arts
  • Bricktop wrote: »
    volsh wrote: »
    I'm hoping to be whisked off to a magical land again and be surrounded by players all buzzing with pure excitment, I lost that feeling a long time ago and I'm hoping beyond hope to feel this again with all of you

What was that game for you @volsh ? It was Lineage 2 for me before it all went to hell. I had a lot of fun running gank squads through Varka and Ketra looking for the enemy. Fighting in Baiums tower and in the forest of the dead. It was just so much fun to me grinding mobs and PvPing all day with some occasional bosses here and there. I really liked crafting in that game as well and setting up my player shop in a sea of other player shops and trying to make a catchy title. I can barely remember half of it. It was years and years ago. Hoping to find that really fun MMO again one last time that I can put a lot of time into.

For me it was Wow, I'd never played an MMO before I was always an avid FPS player (Q3 Arena, RTCW Enemy Territory etc) until one day a friend of mine asked me to come onboard and have a go, the rest is history really expect I'm now looking for a fresh new world to be a part of, 15 years of Wow has taken it's toll and i'm really hoping to reboot excitement levels again in AOC
  • What looks to be great PvP games get stomped out by Pay 2 Win
    I feel like P2W has been a curse on gaming in general over the past decade or more. It seems there have been no real decent games over that period and that doesn’t surprise me.

If all the investment dollars go towards games promising riches from P2W designs then real games are deprived of funding. Also with the flood of P2W games it’s impossible to find any other games, we’ve been inundated by garbage games.

There’s also been some development efforts which got underway then were cancelled, one that comes to mind was EQ Next. Was that effort killed off due to lack of investor interest due to the flood of P2W games?

The truth is I’ve been looking for a decent non-P2W game over that time frame and have found nothing. I’m encouraged by what I see thus far from AoC but I’ll remain pessimistic until it releases.
  • FrammshammFrammshamm Member
    edited September 2020
    mccdlibby wrote: »

I had so much more stuff in my head that I want to post, but I don’t want to overwhelm any readers with a wall of text. I also would like people to read this and share their opinions as well, as I feel I can’t be alone in this.

Sorry, but that ship has sailed off on a sea of garbled rambling.

You want opinions? My opinion that you getting hyped for this game after 25 years shows me that you have either a. not learned your lesson, or b. are incapable of learning said lesson.

Game may be good in 2-3 years when it releases. The game may be complete and utter garbage. Any hype that encourages you to click on a link prompting you to pay for backer/early access status should be a giant red flag to anyone who has followed the "gaming" scene for the past 25 years.

• TyrantorTyrantor Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Frammshamm wrote: »

a link prompting you to pay for backer/early access status should be a giant red flag to anyone who has followed the "gaming" scene for the past 25 years.

This doesn't even make sense, games haven't had a backer/early access option for 25 years. If anything it's a relatively new trend that of course started after all the gaming devs realized they could just release games unfinished and then patch them, which then transitioned to, ok you can pay for early access so we can keep continuing to release the games earlier in the development cycle.

The difference between that and beta access is substantial however since the "historical" time frame you've given of 25 years, used to equate to a lottery draw for the beta access. If I would have had the option to pay my way into some of the old greats I would have happily had done so.

The way I see the early backer program here is it's a small contribution I can give to Steven for trying to make something with his own money. If the worst case happens and it fails he'll suffer much worse loss than any of us individually and the difference here is it's not some loss a public company can just write off on their P&L statement at the end of the quarter for a tax credit at the end of their fiscal year.
    Tyrantor
    Master Assassin
    (Yes same Tyrantor from Shadowbane)
    Book suggestions:
    Galaxy Outlaws books 1-16.5, Metagamer Chronicles, The Land litrpg series, Ready Player One, Zen in the Martial Arts
  • Tyrantor wrote: »
    This doesn't even make sense, games haven't had a backer/early access option for 25 years. If anything it's a relatively new trend..
    I’ve found in the past 25 years that some gamers don’t have a grip on reality much less logic. When someone makes such a ridiculous claim it’s usually a good sign having a discussion with such a person will result in nothing more than an exercise in futility.
  • I think its really a good thing to be excited for this game. I understand that the gaming world has been burned and people have the right to question the promises this game seems to offer. But for heaven's sake its really nice to be excited about a game that is at the very least attempting to make a game by players for players. To me, MMOrpg's nowadays aren't rpg's anymore. Most are transactional time wasters where 90% of the game built is uneventful, wasteful 3D space and a 10% grind in player power and vanity to hold the attention of that thing that keeps us mmo players going. I really do enjoy some of my time in a couple recent mmo's but I won't lie, the rpg is severely lacking. None of what I do pre-end game makes any difference and that to me just sucks all the fun out of going on a journey. Leveling used to be fun. and is now the bane of most games. The old saying goes, its about the journey, not the destination. We have been duped the last decade or so into rushing and playing the destination and we as players have forgotten how to go on a journey because games are no longer designed for it. I think Ashes has rekindled that need to go on a journey and is trying to design its systems to allow players to control the outcome based on everything the player does and allow for experiences wherever you are at in your progression. So I say be hyped because its certainly more fun then being pessimistic and going back to playing uneventful button mashing games that offer 0 worthwhile experiences.
  • maouw wrote: »
    @Bricktop
    I love games where everyone sets up their own stalls!
    It's definitely more tedious than an auction house, but thrill of hunting for bargains and just browsing the market in general is something you don't do with an auction house.

I'm also looking forward to having player stalls again. I guess that would somewhat relieve the pressure of having to frequently check & adjust prices (since there's no easy centralized access to the cheapest bargain), and also making it harder for bots to do so.

I can remember back in Eve Online, one of the most tedious task which all traders must waste an enormous amount of time doing is "0.01-ing" -- you have to periodically revisit and update your sell orders' prices (usually to 0.01 isk cheaper than your currently cheapest competitor, hence the name). But obviously one person lowering their prices would soon trigger another player to do the same, and then another ... and I highly suspect some people may have even written bots to handle the entire process ...
    It's tedious, but if you don't do the same, your items simply won't sell at all after a day or two :/