Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

In-Game Bard Services

LeadrinLeadrin Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
edited October 2020 in General Discussion
Hi folks! I don't have any content to share right now so much as a pitch that I want to test the water for.

I have a bit of a music background and plan to play a bard, and with the emphasis on taverns as hangout spots, I thought it might be fun to try my hand at offering live in-game performance services.

From what we know about the racial aesthetics so far, I'm thinking of playing an Empyrian and specializing in solo soprano gregorian chant (and of course learning fan favorites from LotR, Witcher, GoT, etc if people request them).

What's the demand for something like this? Are there a lot of tavern-owner hopefuls out there looking to host in-game social events?

Comments

• Options
    Leadrin wrote: »
    Hi folks! I don't have any content to share right now so much as a pitch that I want to test the water for.

I have a bit of a music background and plan to play a bard, and with the emphasis on taverns as hangout spots, I thought it might be fun to try my hand at offering live in-game performance services.

From what we know about the racial aesthetics so far, I'm thinking of playing an Empyrian and specializing in solo soprano gregorian chant (and of course learning fan favorites from LotR, Witcher, GoT, etc if people request them).

What's the demand for something like this? Are there a lot of tavern-owner hopefuls out there looking to host in-game social events?
    I do not plan to run a tavern but I've seen numerous people on the threads wanting to and I would love to participate in such activities as a customer, especially if it has games and live music like what you're offering. I think it would also be cool to have exp bonuses that you can accumulate from spending time in such settings so that there are benefits outside of the just the RP/social aspect. I know food buffs are definitely a confirmed thing in that regard, but to me those seem like more of just a pop in and grab the buff before heading out to a dungeon (although i guess it depends on exact implementation). I think having something where you spend an hour in the tavern then you get like 1.3x XP modifier for an hour as a result would be a cool aspect, or just a combat based buff, and Bard could potentially modify such a buff if they are there playing while you're in the tavern (ooh and different classes of the Bard archetype would modify the buff even further). That way you offering your live music services could have an in-game parallel that you bring to the table, giving even more incentive for a tavern to higher you and/or listeners to pay/tip you.

As for the music specifically I'm not familiar with much gregorian chants, so I can't comment on that part but fan favorites like you mention would be awesome.

I hope you're also planning on performing in busy nodes. I would pay/tip for a song and bard buff to go along with it before heading out into the world. This type of thing would be highly dependent on the integration of discord though which afaik is not well elaborated at this point, just touched on
  • Options
    Beck AltarrBeck Altarr Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Check out my post about the Open Mic Nights on Phoenix Radio. This might be up your alley.
    phoenix.png
    Alpha/Beta Tester of Many Games - Station Manger of PhoenixRadio.Online an AoC & Gamer themed online Radio. Tune In Here
    Love a good story and lore.
    Twitch Streamer : PRO Discord
  • Options
    Karaoke Night at the Silver Fang Inn.
  • Options
    Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Thread moved to General Discussion from Community Creations.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    "For just one dollar a month, you can ensure that a Bard is being treated nicely. Donate today!"

Sry, this was just the first thing that came through my head after reading "In-Game Bard services".
    Ingame bard services could also be something.... WAY different! ;D
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Damokles wrote: »
    "For just one dollar a month, you can ensure that a Bard is being treated nicely. Donate today!"

Sry, this was just the first thing that came through my head after reading "In-Game Bard services".
    Ingame bard services could also be something.... WAY different! ;D

lHUWU88.jpg
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    I love when people get into character like this, do you play D&D Leadrin?
    I always wished I could roleplay as or with a bard that could sing/play instruments during the game for short bits to replicate things like bardic inspiration or performance checks. But alas, I can't carry a tune, like, at all
  • Options
    LeadrinLeadrin Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Inixia wrote: »
    I love when people get into character like this, do you play D&D Leadrin?
    I always wished I could roleplay as or with a bard that could sing/play instruments during the game for short bits to replicate things like bardic inspiration or performance checks. But alas, I can't carry a tune, like, at all

I do, but this particular idea is actually drawn from a LARP character that I played for many years.