Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Death penalties during PVP events

2»

Comments

• Options
    There has to be risk to die otherwise it's just going to come down to who can respawn and rush back the most. If someone dies 5 times, they may need to switch gear or risk it breaking or becoming unequitable or what ever the risk becomes. If there are going to be siege hammers or other siege equipment that players equip they should have durability too so people can't just bash walls with no fear of death.
    Tyrantor
    Master Assassin
    (Yes same Tyrantor from Shadowbane)
    Book suggestions:
    Galaxy Outlaws books 1-16.5, Metagamer Chronicles, The Land litrpg series, Ready Player One, Zen in the Martial Arts
  • Options
    Tyrantor wrote: »
    There should be monetary/mat costs for dying in the siege in addition to some death penalties that are on a relatively short duration. What I mean by this, it should cost people for carelessly dying (Insert your guilds Leroy Jenkins) - then there should be a delay on when you can re-engage in the battle at full strength so if 30 people just got wiped they can just respawn and fight again immediately. There should be a debuff on each character on death for a short duration (+/- how long it would take for a group to heal/mana/stamina up after a fight) - to prevent fights from just going back and forth based on respawning with full stats and rushing back in.

That could be accomplished with a respawn timer. You die, sent to spawn point, 30 second timer to respawn. Then you still have to wait for the rest of your group to respawn or you run back alone to rejoin them in the fight.

I just don't want to see a 2 hour battle end in 30 minutes because one side is completely gimped by stat dampening and other death penalties... and that goes for being on both the winning side and the losing side.
    SIG.png
    We are recruiting PvPers!
  • Options
    TyrantorTyrantor Member
    edited October 2020
    Xyls wrote: »

That could be accomplished with a respawn timer. You die, sent to spawn point, 30 second timer to respawn. Then you still have to wait for the rest of your group to respawn or you run back alone to rejoin them in the fight.

I just don't want to see a 2 hour battle end in 30 minutes because one side is completely gimped by stat dampening and other death penalties... and that goes for being on both the winning side and the losing side.

I'm against the respawn timer - this shouldn't turn into CS where we die and have to wait to respawn, the debuff should stack so if people want to rush back in the fight with the debuffs active another death multiplies the effects. (risk/reward). I'm not suggesting that these debuffs last for huge durations, in Shadowbane the "Death Shroud" lasted approx 2 minutes if memory serves me. Which prevented people from dying and being summoned right back into the fight. Note: The death shroud basically made you do 50% damage, 50% health etc. So you can still attack if you want but not at full strength. - Another reason death needs to cause durability loss so people don't just burn through all the deaths and then wait for the longest debuff to burn off.

Since AoC is going to have advancing spawn points for the attacking side, there should be some metric to slow them from just immediately re-engaging in a siege after death. Otherwise sieges will just turn into CoD where you kill someone and they respawn behind you and kill you because you're reloading.

Tyrantor
    Master Assassin
    (Yes same Tyrantor from Shadowbane)
    Book suggestions:
    Galaxy Outlaws books 1-16.5, Metagamer Chronicles, The Land litrpg series, Ready Player One, Zen in the Martial Arts
  • Options
    Xyls wrote: »
    Mojottv wrote: »
    insomnia wrote: »
    Noaani wrote: »
    I would still like to see some death penalties in PvP events.

I personally think the fact that corruption is disabled and all players are treated as combatants (which halves the death penalties) is enough.

If there are to be any gains made from these PvP events, there also needs to be the ability to lose something, and the games death penalty is the only way there is to facilitate that. This simple fact of risk vs reward should always trump the need to get more people participating - and I am sure that anyone in this discussion that has argued risk vs reward in a PvE setting has no option other than to agree.

When it comes to sieges, there are things to gain and lose for participants. Your city drops or your city can increase. People with houses can lose stuff

well, to be honest, what youre talking about doesnt depend to much if the payer is participating or not, and only encourages to participate, as theres actually no risk in participating in sieges. but theres only reward, as if you defend, you wont be looted, if you are attacking you can get loot. Death penalty would be the only risk.

I think pvp events should have death penalties, maybe lower than normal, but there still should be something.

So not saying you're wrong or anything but here is something to think about.

In a massive siege that lasts hours, If one side gets wiped two or three times in the first while of the siege and they get stat dampening and other death penalties, the siege is ultimately already over at that point because the side that was a little bit weaker to start (but still could have possibly come back to win) is now extremely weaker due to death penalties.

i get what you're saying, i dont think that death penalty in pvp events should make you weaker, as you stated this makes any comeback virtually impossible, but i believe that simple exp debt should be enough, without the weakening debuff.

Or better yet, of weakening debuffs simply dont work in pvp area, and you would only get waleaker once the siege is over.
  • Options

I'd like to see permadeath/Last man standing server on fresh start servers as a seasonal tournament 2-4 times a year as an event, and if you die your character is transferred to a regular server