Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Negative stats (char-gear wise)

So while certain gear will give better stats or set bonuses. What I often see in games is that it is just a build-up of certain stats. get more healing power, crit, attack, agility, etc.

I was wondering what would happen if they introduce negative stats.
example, reaching X Healing power will impact your mana reducing total mana for each point you exceed the limit.
example, reaching X of attack power will impact your critical chance for each point you exceed it

The cap should also be put rather low meaning that 3-4 items on your char. would mean you are capped on a stat.

While for certain encounters it might be enough to balance everything to that cap, other harder content, or even for PvP it might be worth doing a trade-off. It could also maybe bring more diverse builds into play, with players trying some really creative builds.

Sorry for my poor English but I am interested in your thought. Would you see something like this work in Ashes? :)

Comments

• SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    There are many instances in other MMOs of items which increase attack power but decrease defences, or increase critical but decrease attack speed, or increase attack speed but decrease critical.

I would expect the same in Ashes though I am not attached to such items at present. I build with the items I deem worthy at the time of character construction.

I would hope there will be varied options inside Ashes.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Imo it's pretty silly to add stat limitations.. as in having to trade off certain stats for others. You do that anyway when you choose your class and the equipment you run on that class. I would assume the different sets of gear Steven mentioned will have a variety of stats.. some more AP some more defence.. That s enough of a trade off. Especially as they mentioned there will be sets offering different bonuses and having to trade off my stats for that bonus it's just plain wrong.
  • SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Its a theoretical supposition in all truth. There will always be stat boosts and stat drops, just some are hidden and some are stated. In circumstances where one would boost one stat and loose another stat the bonus is often larger compared to when a stat is boosted and nothing is lost at face value.

It does not hurt anyone if both styles of Item are in the game. We all should be able to build how we want to build. I mentioned varied items for this very reason. We have multiple slot items we can craft, legendries we can obtain and base stats we can utilise. It makes perfect sense to be able to trade one stat for another stat in some circumstances.

I like freedom and freedom to create. I dislike Metas unless Metas must be adhered to. So, overall, I'm still for variety and options when crafting, utilising and theory crafting. Its still very early to be adamant in either direction though.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • on items yes (like this item increases your mana but reduces your mana regen, or something of the sort), that would increase customization options, but putting hard limits on the total amount you can accrue of a certain stat seems like it would just standardize players more and create less options for customizing your builds. diminishing returns from stacking too much of one stack is a fairly common strat for balancing issues and preventing glass-cannon type builds that can have harmful effects in pvp, so i wouldnt necessarily be against that, but a hard cap seems like over the top.
  • Irohnic wrote: »
    on items yes (like this item increases your mana but reduces your mana regen, or something of the sort), that would increase customization options, but putting hard limits on the total amount you can accrue of a certain stat seems like it would just standardize players more and create less options for customizing your builds. diminishing returns from stacking too much of one stack is a fairly common strat for balancing issues and preventing glass-cannon type builds that can have harmful effects in pvp, so i wouldnt necessarily be against that, but a hard cap seems like over the top.

I guess that s what I was trying to say above too.. probably for the lack of better words i made it sound different. Stats cap are not healthy for the game and I can't see why anyone that's not casual player who would want such thing.
  • I dislike items that have negative stats on them - it just feels bad to get upgrade only to give something away. However this would be awesome for the augment system, to have handcrafted downsides to the awesome augment you got that potentionally can change how you play your character
    “Ignorance, the root and stem of all evil.”

― Plato
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    There are things like soft and hard caps on certain stats in many MMORPGs.
    Soft caps are when the efficiency of getting more of a certain stat results in less damage increase.
    Hard cap is when the efficiency of getting more of a certain stat takes a nose dive into concrete.
    a6XEiIf.gif