Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

[Discussion] Should the levels be revealed to outsiders?

2»

Comments

• Options
    AntVictusAntVictus Member, Alpha One
    Still a no. gear tier, and armor type sure. But not levels.
  • Options
    Dayuhan wrote: »
    Also, there should be a chance of someone noticing if they are being sized-up.

Oh, hell no! I hated being spammed with; "So-and-so is inspecting you".
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Mojottv wrote: »
    Noaani wrote: »
    Noaani wrote: »
    Lvl why?
    This is the single most important factor to be shown, as it is the only one that translates to the level of penalty on offer.

If you kill a lower level non-combatant, you gain significantly more corruption than if you killed an equal level non-combatant.

All up though, I really don't understand any position players can have that thinks it is a good idea to purposfully obfuscate information from players. Give players more information than they need, and let us sort out what information we care about.
    CROW3 wrote: »
    Lvl why?

My reasoning: It's the biggest coefficient for offensive/defensive power which translates to risk. You can be perfectly skilled, and totally confused as to why you got face-rolled by some dude in rags that's 30 levels above you.

Without knowing that someone is statistically orders of magnitude above you, you'll have no feedback as to whether it's basic algebra, your skill, or both you need to overcome before beating the other player.

In the good olden days, we would judge players lvl by their equipment and skills they use. This would also allow, to change eq to pretend to be a lower lvl than you actually are to bait some people from other guild you're at war. I would compromise on showing if player is higher or lower lvl, as this could mean +1lvl or -1lvl as +10lvl or -10. But giving too much information is ridiculous, next thing you will want win chance persentage, so u run up to a guy, it shows 45% chance of winning, u turn around and run back. Information about players skills, stats, lvl, health, mana, etc should be private.

You would have a potential point here if it weren't for the fact that a level 1 can equip the best looking cosmetics in the game, and those wanting to attack them have no way of looking at their actual gear.

I'm not interested in the game working out a percentage win chance for me - but I should have the information needed to be able to work that out myself.

well it has been confirmed, that gear grade and rarity will be shown, so you will be able to roughly see what gear they have

My assumption (and it is just that at this stage) is that this will work essentially the same as it does in Archeage.

If this is the case, without seeing the level of an opponent, you really won't be able to tell the difference between a character at the level cap and a lower level one. Knowing a character has a specific grade of item only tells you how much of a challenge that player may be for their level.

As a piece of information, that is not really significant without knowing what level the character is - since most gear will be crafted it is reasonable to assume that at least most levels of rarity will be available at low levels.

Thing is, it is the level of character that is the one piece of information that is actually the most important for others to know. it is the one piece of information that has material worth.
  • Options
    I think levels should be hidden, it allows for more robust PvP mechanics and more player freedom by disincentivising PvP abuse by making it more risky to attack players. I think there should be a limit that you're only allowed to initiate a flight with someone your level or higher unless you're in a specific wilderness zone, to eliminate higher levels ganking lower levels entirely.
  • Options
    In a Risk vs Reward style game like this one, it should be kept hidden.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    halbarzhalbarz Member
    edited October 2020
    I do not think the level should be visible as long as you are not in combat with that person or in a group. This to leave a bit of mystery this should be the case for everything from gear indicator to class combo, etc. But to be honest whatever it ends up being it is nothing game-breaking for me :)

• Options
    Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    The only piece of information I'd like to know is the levels of each character, for one simple reason - If I'm on my level 50 character and I think I'm about to fight another level 50 character, the last thing I want to do is 1-shot them because they were actually level 20, and I get corrupted because of it.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options
    The only piece of information I'd like to know is the levels of each character, for one simple reason - If I'm on my level 50 character and I think I'm about to fight another level 50 character, the last thing I want to do is 1-shot them because they were actually level 20, and I get corrupted because of it.

Exactly.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    CROW3 wrote: »

Exactly.

Well if you are running around and flagging on random people for no reason, maybe you should be at risk of one shootting some lowbie to get corruption?

This won't happen, if you want to take over hunting spot
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I don't care either way to be honest
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace