Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Thoughts about AOE damage

ThivarThivar Member
edited October 2020 in General Discussion
What about AOE damage being proportional to numbers of players affected?
In this way, AOE damage could be a great tool to balance fights unbalanced in numbers.
Thivar wrote: »
Tacualeon wrote: »
maouw wrote: »
you mean scaling UP the more players are hit?

UP
Theres no reason to scale down
fights unbalanced in numbers

Picking bad fights is not reason to increases aoe damage neither.

Do you mind creating an argument?

I agree that some figths should not be fought but it is fun to e.g. run away 3 fights to fight one?
Making AOE damage an impressive tool to fight against larger groups based on the enemy's numbers could encourage people to run in less numbers.
Also, a lot of players in other games out there use "stack and spam AOE" to just kill everything without any additional efforts or downsides. With a system like this, you could make AOE usage against small groups something more irrelevant, encouraging large groups to fight individually while keep a constant care about positioning since the enemy attacks will be stronger if you stack too much.
scaling up could work for something like a plague - where the contagion is accumulative, and the more people around you who are affected by it, the faster is accumulates on you.

Also worth noting: if you boost the AoE meta, you also boost the assassin meta because everyone spreads out.

This system would have to work for every AOE and yes, this would boost assassin's play but do not forget that even people having to spread out and having downsides on AOE usage against lonely assassins, they are more in numbers and can still focus fire easily on him.

Comments

• Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    In this way, AOE damage could be a great tool to balance fights unbalanced in numbers.
    Can you give us some numbers or examples?
    I think he meant scaling down.

• Options
    VyrakaVyraka Member, Alpha One
    I think fire, frost, and electrical damage would hurt equally regardless of how many people were hit.
    Axiom-Guild-Signature-Vyraka.png
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Ah the bane of summoners. AOE
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    ThivarThivar Member
    edited October 2020

UP
  • Options

UP

• Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    scaling up could work for something like a plague - where the contagion is accumulative, and the more people around you who are affected by it, the faster is accumulates on you.

Also worth noting: if you boost the AoE meta, you also boost the assassin meta because everyone spreads out.
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    ThivarThivar Member
    edited October 2020
    Tacualeon wrote: »

UP

I agree that some figths should not be fought but it is fun to e.g. run away 3 fights to fight one?
    Making AOE damage an impressive tool to fight against larger groups based on the enemy's numbers could encourage people to run in less numbers.
    Also, a lot of players in other games out there use "stack and spam AOE" to just kill everything without any additional efforts or downsides. With a system like this, you could make AOE usage against small groups something more irrelevant, encouraging large groups to fight individually while keep a constant care about positioning since the enemy attacks will be stronger if you stack too much.

This system would have to work for every AOE and yes, this would boost assassin's play but do not forget that even people having to spread out and having downsides on AOE usage against lonely assassins, they are more in numbers and can still focus fire easily on him.
  • Options
    Anything that encourages small groups and not zergs is a fantastic thing.
  • Options
    I could see some spells being more effective the larger the numbers like a plague, while others being weaker like a Wind Vortex spell.
    E8OOol.gif
  • Options
    MedrashMedrash Member
    edited October 2020
    @Thivar

Do you mean to scale down the damage right? To balance when it hits multiple enemies and then not be overpredominants in all fight.
    if you meant a space up i wonder if you are actually crazy or what xD (crazy is a good thing) ... anyway both scaling down or up based on the number of enemies is a bad idea for aoe i think ... but with a complex counterbalance can be doable maybe.
    If you make a scaling up spell it means his base damage has to be pretty low, and for the scaling down damage it has to be stronger at the start.
    A good AoE usually get weaker when it has more people in it, sure it still strong and effective against more enemies, but it need some limits.
    A well balanced AoE with scaling up damage, that i saw in videogames, is an infection or pleague based spell. It's weaker and hard to use properly, but can be devastating in some circumstances. It start from an enemie beeing infected, with a small aoe maybe, and then when some condition is meet (like his death) a cloud of spores and viruses spread to the enemie, growing in size and damage.

The base rule to do such type of spells is that when casted it needs to draw the power from the enemie and use it against themself, so for example, if many people go inside it and fail their defenses the AoE cast will start growing and sucking energy .
    An idea can be that if anyone uses a Fire spell or have some fire (like candles) the AoE spell will use their fire against themself, increasing the AoE spell in damage and size. But this Fire damage spell need a precise and restricted condition to be effective. So yes, but it's hard to make.
  • Options
    I think AoE is a great feature to have in a video game...

So long as it hits friendly players who get in its way just as hard as enemy players.
  • Options
    Keep AoE damage the same at any amount of people, make it something you should be afraid of and get out of and we don't need to scale anything.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    When you see a circle on the floor with shooting flame balls landing; ANYONE caught inside should receive damage dependant on there level and gear they have equipped.
    You could have a heavy armour with very high resistance to fire damage so the AoE of fire balls hardly does any damage.
    Well whats the point of AoE if it doesn't do any damage to players with Fire resistance.
    Mix up the tactics with having other forms of AoE damage electrical, wind, toxic rain ..... etc
    I tell you what i know about Dwarf's.
    Very little
  • Options
    Here's my own hot take:

1. Pure single target abilities should do the most damage.
    2. Short range/conal cleave should have high damage but less than pure single target. Make it worth using for maximum throughput on 2+ mobs.
    3. AoE should be either utility or low enough single target damage to only be higher throughput on 5+ mobs. No target cap, ever, for any reason.

Healing falls under the same rules. Cleansing magical debuffs should ideally be single target, because AoE cleansing is an absurd bane to DoT spread. On that note, DoTs should follow the same rules too, and if they can spread automatically they shouldn't do big individual target numbers.

Very simple rules that I don't understand why games break so frequently, whether it's AoE abilities that do top single target damage, or OP cleansing, or whatever the case may be. The uniqueness can come from split damage between burst and DoT, utility, whatever, but target caps make things feel awful in large scale. If 15 wizards all Blizzard a big clump of stacked fools, those fools should all die.

GW2's WvWvW showed me the horrible flaws in target cap design and I really never want to see it again.
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    The benefit of an AoE is the mass effect without the need to aim.

If there are no appropriate:
    Cooldowns
    Amount of effects
    Output dmg/heal
    Mp costs
    aoes make combat a spam fest, instead of gameplay.

AoEs need thise restrictions. Not player caps.

I dont like AoE gameplay, unless it is the them of a class/weapon (example polearm warrior).