Question and thoughts on repairing gear

darthadendarthaden Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
I know Steven has said multiple times that repairing gear. Will require materials instead of just gold but what kind of material costs can we expect as tier levels go up? I'm hoping costs go up significantly as you move onto higher level gear.

My hope is itll be something along these lines
Common item roughly 5g in mats to repair
Rare item 20g in mats to repair
Epic item 100g in mats to repair
Legendary item 1,000g to repair.

Having a significant cost as gear tier increases would keep lower quality gear relevant even in late game. That 1,000g repair bill may be worth it for a castle siege or a legendary boss raid but players would probably think twice about using their legendary gear when they go out to kill deer for meat. Green gear would be more then enough to handle this simple job.

This would help keep the market from simply being overrun with low level mats that absolutely nobody wants a year after release.

Comments

• SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited October 2020
    Makes no sense at all.

It is unlikely it will take 1000g to craft a Legendry. Therefore, if repair costs are higher than creation costs I would just build a new item and not repair the old item.

Edit: Steven even stated he doesn't want inflated repair like gold costs which spiral in obscene ways.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Agreed.

If an item requires a certain mat to make, it only makes sense that those mats are needed for repairs, of that item.

Just having a gold repair machine is just lazy development, imo. Mats are a driving force, for the economy, and employs more crafters.
  • XenotorXenotor Member
    edited October 2020
    We dont even know how fast you make money so numbers make no sense right now.

If more then 20% of the playbase have legendary equipment, then the devs did something wrong.

Personally im hoping that you need mats of the same rarety to repair your gear.
    So epic mats for epic weapons and legendary mats for legendary weapons.
    53ap2sc6pdgv.gif
  • darthadendarthaden Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    The numbers weren't ment ti be exact, they're simply to show a approximately how much more expensive I'd like to see repairs become as you move up.

After a year or two any serious player will be equipped in legendary gear based off what we already know. They already said gear will not be soul bound and can be sold on the market. After a year the hardcore raiders will have gotten multiple drops and will be selling their extra gear on the market to the highest bidder.
  • LethalityLethality Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    This is why I am advocating for item decay and breakage. Repair is not only boring, it doesn't really solve the problem.

See my other thread :)
    World Class Indoorsman
  • I agree with OP. I think maybe people didn't really understand the gold references, but it was just to give a sense of scale. Obviously we don't know exactly what gold amounts will equate to and obviously materials wont have set costs across the world. the point is that maintaining a legendary item should be something like 10 times harder (the resources are 10x as rare) than maintaining an epic item, 50x harder than maintaining a rare item, etc. Maybe the exact proportions are a little extreme, but OP's point is that the cost of maintenance of the highest tiers of gear should be high enough that players must consider when they should really be using that equipment. This "cost" could really be evaluated in terms of gold, time, or rarity of materiales, since in a game where next to nothing is soulbound, all of these things are roughly interchangeable.
  • darthadendarthaden Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited October 2020
    Better example. I'll just use the common gray, green, blue, yellow ,orange color scheme of mmos and I'll use the term shard for repair mats.
    Gray shards very common open world drop
    Green shards rare open world drop, very common dungeon drop
    Blue shards rare dungeon drop, very common dungeon boss drop.
    Yellow shards rare dungeon boss drop, very common raid trash drop.
    Orange shards rare raid trash drop, common raid boss drop.

Since nothing in Ashes is soul bound a non raider can still buy orange shards off the market but they'll come at a significantly more expensive price point then a gray shards based on their rarity and difficulty to obtain
  • darthaden wrote: »
    Better example. I'll just use the common gray, green, blue, yellow ,orange color scheme of mmos and I'll use the term shard for repair mats.
    Gray shards very common open world drop
    Green shards rare open world drop, very common dungeon drop
    Blue shards rare dungeon drop, very common dungeon boss drop.
    Yellow shards rare dungeon boss drop, very common raid trash drop.
    Orange shards rare raid trash drop, common raid boss drop.

Since nothing in Ashes is soul bound a non raider can still buy orange shards off the market but they'll come at a significantly more expensive price point then a gray shards based on their rarity and difficulty to obtain

If these orange and yellow shards were on the top of a player corpse loot table it could make things interesting....