Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Can I please get a streamer free server?!

I understand that a lot of people like to play with streamers but if there would be any way not forced obviously but if they could all come together and agree to leave one server for the kind of people like my self and id assume others to be able to play out the game without that huge level of influence from single individuals that be really awesome.

Comments

• Options
    Popular streamers tend to collect on a small handful of servers. The knowledge of which ones will probably end up known before launch day so just try to keep up with that and then completely avoid those servers. There’s no way to avoid everyone who boots up Twitch while they play but those shouldn’t have much impact on the playerbase.
  • Options
    BricktopBricktop Member
    edited October 2020
    I would recommend anybody who reads this to ask any groups or guilds you may join on their feelings about streamer servers. Big stream servers will most likely end up half dead after a month when the big name streamers quit to find a new game to make content with.
  • Options
    The same situation of giant population of players are rallying behind a single person can also happen with guilds.

There are mega communities with hundreds if not thousands of players that all follow a single person, might not even be a streamer.

Seen this happen intentionally and organically in many games. What happens the most is the smaller guilds tend to start merging to combat the mega guilds purely to "compete" in end game PvP type activities.

I think AoC has some good mechanics to help combat some of this with the server size limits, siege size limits, and PvP not really being the only thing to do end game like some other recent MMOs.
  • Options
    KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I dislike the current meta of "streamer draws major attention" and then "streamer moves on to new game for continued content" aspect of gaming. It';s sad but it has its place. We have to chug along and adapt to this as a community. Personally, I stream snipe players all the time and punish them for their petty attempts at fame haha. Some are just too big for my bloodlust unfortunately.
  • Options
    I don't think streamers are that big of a problem. Also, I think it's likely that there will be free transfers from servers that big streamers play on (Since those servers tend to be more populated).
    AoC
  • Options
    There's a two day head start for some backers, i imagine the popular streamers will be included.
    Watch there stream, see what server there on and avoid it.
    I tell you what i know about Dwarf's.
    Very little
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Tell my how you reasonably enforce a streamer free server?
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Vhaeyne wrote: »

It would be impossible
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    Khronus wrote: »
    I dislike the current meta of "streamer draws major attention" and then "streamer moves on to new game for continued content" aspect of gaming. It's sad but it has its place. We have to chug along and adapt to this as a community. Personally, I stream snipe players all the time and punish them for their petty attempts at fame haha. Some are just too big for my bloodlust unfortunately.

idk seems petty. I do agree that streamers cause problems if the streamer's intent is malicious. Since it's like a cult and people just follow a call from the streamer to be part of something. If it is just "streaming for fun" without coordination to achieve something malicious then I think it has its perks as it brings life to a server.
  • Options
    It's not, nessisarily the streamers who are causing issues, but the viewers, that follow them.

https://bleedingcool.com/games/multiple-sea-of-thieves-streamers-quit-after-failed-toxicity-response/

And then, you have streamers; who are toxic, while not aware they are. This guy is a Hardcore Roleplayer.

https://youtu.be/dv4Ry5Xom1U

All in all. Streamers are forced into prostitution (selling themselves), to gain viewership, to earn a living, and they can not be selective, with their following, and their actions.

Fact is. Streamers are a gravity-well, for people, good and bad, in MMORPGs. But, there really isn't anything anyone can do (see multi-box discussions.).

Lastly. Pay me, to be your prop. 😈

• Options
    Yeah I don't think making a server that discriminates against a group of people based on their occupation will fly very well these days. Especially one so loved.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    MaezrielMaezriel Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited October 2020
    ephii wrote: »
    I understand that a lot of people like to play with streamers but if there would be any way not forced obviously but if they could all come together and agree to leave one server for the kind of people like my self and id assume others to be able to play out the game without that huge level of influence from single individuals that be really awesome.

You're going to have huge levels of influence from single individuals regardless if they're a streamer or not. Maintaining control over a castle, level 3 node, or even just a large guild requires a certain amount of charisma to rally people behind you. The only difference is that Streamers come w/ a community, but that's kinda balanced out b/c for every viewer wiling to carry one there's just as many (or more) wanting to be the guy to snipe them.
    ZeFuP1X.png
    If I said something that you disagree w/ feel free to say so here.
  • Options
    Going to play devil’s advocate here.

In classic wow I unknowingly joined a streamer server. I was apprehensive at first but it ended up being great. Whether you like the streamer or not, they brought attention and population to the server. It was great for me as I was on the opposite faction of one of the major streamers and it made for great world PvP. Like with everything there are pros and cons. I think streamer culture is now intertwined with gaming so I guess we all just need to get used it. I don’t watch streamers and I realize there are some bad ones, but overall I had a good time on a “streamer server”. But take it with a grain of salt; It’s just one old guys opinion.
  • Options

u cant your 100% right that's pretty much why id say all u can do is ask these huge streamers to try and leave a few servers for the kind of people looking to avoid it and if they do great and if they don't well at least we tried
  • Options
    ShoelidShoelid Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    If you want to play on a server without any big streamers, it'll probably be pretty easy to do so. With the Classic WoW release most of them agreed to play on one specific server. Information on that will probably be posted all over these forums when it's relevant.

I think it wont be as big a deal as you probably think it is. In fact, playing on that streamer server made my experience with classic WoW better. They create content for these games that otherwise wouldn't have existed, and even if you don't want to participate in it, it definitely makes the world more alive.

Were there some downsides? Definitely. When some smaller streamers, left, their guildmates left with them. But the definite upside is that the social structure of the server is super fucking unique, and that it's got a lot more drama/history than most of the others. Not to mention all the content they create.

AoC is obviously a different game than WoW. When it comes to elections, your name will matter, and on a streamer server, I'm willing to bet that most (if not all) initial mayors will be streamers. But even that is an opportunity for more community content-- wars and alliances between communities, for example. And when a reelection comes around, maybe they can organize some silly debates between the candidates to add to the fun.

These things are all possible without a streamer, but I think it's fact that a specific figurehead makes these things a lot easier to organize.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack

I do have to say, I am 100% behind the idea that it shouldn't be a rule if it can't be enforced.
  • Options
    @Bricktop well after a few weeks most nodes will be destroy by atrophy and it will be a good server to start on for the player that catch on later after launch ;)