Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Artisan Classes as another avenue for augments/special abilities.

As a lover of fishing and being known as the "fisherman" in many games i have played I really think Ashes has an oppurtunity to bring a new exciting twist to the MMO scene that i've only witnessed in korean Manhuas about Vrmmos and such. What I propose is by no means an easy thing to pull off and I understand the complications it brings to class balance but I believe the creators of Ashes of Creation have the promise to tackle this task. However, I do believe they are accepting of players that will play more of the games different types of content in the pursuit of making the best character they can. Be it for competitive reasons or otherwise, I believe you should be rewarded for taking the extra steps to explore the games content and have it be meaningful.

Alright now for details. What I would like to suggest is that artisan classes work similarly to the mentioned bounty hunter and religion progression trees that grant special augments/abilities that can be applied to your adventure class to further customize your character in an impactful way that effects both pve and pvp.

I will now do an example for each type of artisan class (Gathering/Processing/Crafting).
Fishing-
A fisher throws a net out into an area, rooting all targets for a few seconds. This could be changed to make it target a single character and pull them toward the fisher. You could also have this be augmented so that it will fish up a shore node instantly.
Another special tool that could be made by fishers is the Chum bucket. When used it splashes out in a cone in front of the fisher, slowing targets, increases threat generation, and increases the chance of catching rare fish (this part is up to debate). Basically it has a pvx function and also a function for the actual gathering process. This rather than an ability would be a special item crafted using fish (and perhaps material from other artisan trees... perhaps the bucket?) as ingredients.

Smelting-
A smelter has gained a slight affinity with the elemental magic of fire through their many days toiling at the forge, using this ability causes the next attack to apply fire damage to enemies hit (can only be applied once per enemy) and for the next 10 seconds increase the caster's smelting speed. (don't know enough mechanics on this so ill just guess that it takes some time to craft items.)
Smelter's could also have an ability to apply a debuff to metal creatures or attackable objects, increasing damage taken for a while. "Oh you are going to the ancient metal golem pit fighting ring? Bring a smelter they can help out!"

Scribes-
Word magic has always been an interesting magic that has many possibilities so to be honest this one can do many things without some limitations. So lets keep it simple for now.
Seal of Protection: You quickly scribble down a magical seal that wards you from danger, reducing the range at which hostile creatures will be provoked while reducing your movement speed by 20%. (cannot be used while mounted) Im not sure if it would be good or not to have this affect more than yourself but hey it could be a neat ability for dungeon crawling.

Ink burst: It sounds cooler than it is, you just pull out a bottle of ink and splash it in the enemies face, blinding them temporarily so you can run away. This would probably have npcs wander around while a player would have ink on their screen.

Alright thats a ton of text to go through and I thank anyone that spent the time to go through it all. So here we are at the end, please if you have any comments, suggestions, or critiques post them below. If i see any abilities that look cool for the above artisans or any i have yet to mention i will update the post and add them up there!
5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu

Comments

• It'd certainly add an extra incentive to level your crafting. Presumably you'd be able to do something like Rallying a nearby Bear to fight with you for 30s if you were into Animal Husbandry, etc.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • SathragoSathrago Member
    edited October 2020
    daveywavey wrote: »
    It'd certainly add an extra incentive to level your crafting. Presumably you'd be able to do something like Rallying a nearby Bear to fight with you for 30s if you were into Animal Husbandry, etc.

Ah yes there will be quite a few cool things animal husbandry could do with this sort of change. Maybe they could summon a region/terrain appropriate mount that is a little faster than normal for a few minutes on a long cooldown. Ooo summon a flock of chickens to distract an enemy! while being attacked by them they deal 1 damage and slow the target by 10% per chicken but these chickens have one health. I mean, they are just chickens XD. After killing all the chickens or the duration runs out any "dead" chickens jump back up and they all run off fading into the wilds.

Bard/rogue animal husbandry master.
    https://youtu.be/miomuSGoPzI
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
  • Oh no! Don't get that song stuck in my head again......
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • It would be cool in theory but i think it would just end up as people picking the artistan class with the best augments for their class rather than the artistan class they think would be most fun. Which pretty much makes actual crafting even more irrelevant for non crafting mains. I think atleast that they would just max the artisan class with the best augment then never craft again, rather than feeling like they could do some crafting on the side to take a break from PvX content.
  • Tbh I don't want to see professions inside class balancing. It would just mean that I would not be gold making on a main, but on an alt instead. The odds of your best profession for enhancing your power and the profession you are interested in making gold being the same is pretty low.

I would very much enjoy having skinning even as a master profession, but when my best profession augment is from shipbuilding... then idk i'd be so sad
    “Ignorance, the root and stem of all evil.”

― Plato
  • maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    @Tragnar
    summoner with shipbuilding augment: summon a ghost ship of undead pirates to attack nearby enemies
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • If it would be just a cosmetic skin over your existing one that would be awesome!

I would very much like to see professions going with the cosmetic route rather than the player power one
    “Ignorance, the root and stem of all evil.”

― Plato
  • SathragoSathrago Member
    edited October 2020
    Hm cosmetic would be another way to make this work and I would be down for it, the only issue is making a cosmetic that works for 64 classes. The reason why i said new abilities was to reduce the workload while still offering unique and substantial crossover between the artisan and the adventurer where you swap out an adventurer ability or just straight up add the new artisan abilities as extra buttons.