Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

While watching Gameplay Video, I noticed Vegetation Doesn't Move From Character Movement Through it

While watching Gameplay video footage, I noticed Vegetation Doesn't Move From Character Movement through it.
So, for me, I think that this kind of thing would cause for more immersion, for me. Say a character runs through a patch of flowers, grass, etc etc, I think, for me, I would feel more immersed if the vegetation responded from a character moving through it. An environment that responded to your character's interactions with it. Would this be too demanding on graphic engines etc? What are your thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    We are still in pre-alpha.

While I agree this is something that should happen, it doesn't need to be implemented until the game goes live.

I mean, they are in alpha now specifically because they still have things like this to do.
  • Options
    honestly I feel like it would be fine if they didnt have it interact with players, maybe wind and other stuff but if its interacting with players that will probably lead to a large amount of extra processing power that could be put toward more players fightin each other at the same time :tongue:
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    FuryBladeborneFuryBladeborne Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited October 2020
    Personally, while it would be nice to have vegetation movement in response to players I feel like such high end graphics is likely to be detrimental to the game. Particularly in the large scale PVP that is intended.
  • Options
    If your rig can handle it, I don't see why it couldn't be an Ultra-High graphics setting. The more immersion, the better, right?!
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I don't think it is that hard to implement, but to be honest I don't think it is the least bit necessary. This is something that is far from a deal breaker for me. Poor collision detection, and repetitive use of assets are the things that a art/environment team can get wrong that would bug me.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options

Differently from the other people here (or the most), i think that it's necessary to the game, expecially for stealth interactions. A so defined and beautyfull world (almost realistic) that doesn't feel realistic, it's a waste, and break immersion.
    If the intent of the devs was a massive game with huge fights, why wasting so many resources for all this crazy light that cover your vision and all this fancy graphic? If done right an environment interaction can be light.
    Also some game mechanics are also unecessary ... i rader prefer having a vegetation interaction that armor adaptatition to races or fancy spells.
    The devs also said that when it comes to large battleground scenarious they will power up the optimization and maybe get rid of some armor skins, so everyone will have the same armor estetically xD ... why not just deactivate the environment interaction? Problem solved.

A big thumbs up for this idea and proposal :smile: it's pretty essential for an open world mmorpg. The rogue players are going to be mad at this 100% sure xD hehe , easy stealth detection.
  • Options
    MedrashMedrash Member
    edited October 2020
    @Vhaeyne
    Vhaeyne wrote: »
    I don't think it is that hard to implement, but to be honest I don't think it is the least bit necessary. This is something that is far from a deal breaker for me. Poor collision detection, and repetitive use of assets are the things that a art/environment team can get wrong that would bug me.

Wtf, do you rly think that the problem with AoC is the collision detection and repetitive use of assets? Have you looked at some clips or to the development of the game?
    Their first focus for now is the graphic and the assets, they are putting most of their work on that, beautyfull graphics and builds. Of course it is the least thing their are going to mess up.
    The game design has more and other problems, expecially becouse we don't get much information about those (classes, nodes, pvp, and systems based on numbers and code).
    Instead we got plenty of videos about graphic content ... xD ... repetitive use of assets? Did you saw the dungeons? Sure some ripetition is needed, but they are doing a super well job in my opinion.
    Try to look at different things as potential problems :tongue:

The environment is usefull and almost essential in a almost realistic environment. Becouse it will break the immersion easly if you don't see an almost real grass moving when you pass.

that's why older games with old graphics are ofter pretty immersive, you don't get the feeling of fake.