Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Ashes 101 - Mounts

JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
I've been waiting for a while to do the Ashes 101 on Mounts, but we just didn't have enough information or video footage to do so.

Well, after last week's livestream, we now have enough.

https://youtu.be/45tfYopE180
hpsmlCJ.jpg
Make sure to check out Ashes 101

Comments

• Options
    Good video. However, as I've said in other threads, I dislike that you can pull the mount out of thin air. It trivializes not only travel but also that they've now got a lifespan( If they're a "royal" mount), which I find quite infuriating. I'd prefer if they were an actual object in the world like with Black Desert Online. This gives them the feeling of being an actual entity that you need to care for and a creature that's coming along for the adventure, not just a tool you press "2" and fly around with.
  • Options
    FuryBladeborneFuryBladeborne Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited October 2020
    I think this 2 minute video may help you to see that mounts should be able to "materialize out of thin are" as you described it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvEe3Y3B2cg
    Enjoy :smile:
  • Options
    SechariSechari Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Very cool, Jahlon. We're just getting started as a YouTube content creator channel for Ashes too. I got subscribed to all your content across the various platforms. Your breakdowns are really good. Looking forward to digging deep on your Ashes 101 site to see what all you've got going on. Hoping to keep in touch.
    sech_signature.png
  • Options
    JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    Merek wrote: »
    Good video. However, as I've said in other threads, I dislike that you can pull the mount out of thin air. It trivializes not only travel but also that they've now got a lifespan( If they're a "royal" mount), which I find quite infuriating. I'd prefer if they were an actual object in the world like with Black Desert Online. This gives them the feeling of being an actual entity that you need to care for and a creature that's coming along for the adventure, not just a tool you press "2" and fly around with.

So, BDO isn't a bad system, it's just an annoying system.

I think Ashes could have benefitted from the physical mount in the world that you have to keep track of system, however, it would need some modifications.

Example:

I think it's fine to have the mount be an item in the world that has to be brought out and brought from the stables; however, since its a game, I think the mount should be trained to follow you.

Then we get into the issue of people trolling and killing mounts. Since the world is so big, that would suck. Unless your DM is a jerk, or you are playing like a jerk, your mount is usually safe in D&D.

Sechari wrote: »
    Very cool, Jahlon. We're just getting started as a YouTube content creator channel for Ashes too. I got subscribed to all your content across the various platforms. Your breakdowns are really good. Looking forward to digging deep on your Ashes 101 site to see what all you've got going on. Hoping to keep in touch.

If you are just getting started you may want to check this out: https://www.paradoxgaming.net/content-creators

That is sort of my starting guide and list of all the things I wish I knew when I was getting started with content creation. I will be updating it as I go.
    hpsmlCJ.jpg
    Make sure to check out Ashes 101