Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Swapping equipment in the middle of combat? / General equipment stats philosophy

I see there are some other discussions about this already, but I do not see any clear answer from a dev about this.

Will equipment be designed to be "all-around" and you basically can't swap it out during combat? Or will it be designed for people to form different gear sets to swap out during combat to optimize every last type of attack or ability?

If the latter, will there be some sort of macro system or something to facilitate saving and swapping to different gear sets? Perhaps automatically?

I come from a background of FFXI where basically the entire gear philosophy is designed around that idea of (or at least... used to be), of building full gear sets for optimizing every last type of attack or ability or optimizing survivability.

Comments

• Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Players can not switch armor in combat, and you will only be able to swap out weapons after a period of time (a few seconds) of neither dealing nor receiving damage.

So, it will be possible to change out weapons in combat if you absolutely have the wrong weapon equipped, but you probably shouldn't really try and incorperate this in to a build.
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    edited October 2020
    Here's the Wiki entry for equipment swapping:

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Weapons#Weapon_swapping
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    CROW3 wrote: »

Just trying to let you know you attached the wrong link crow.
  • Options
    Bricktop wrote: »

It's not Rick Astley, is it....?
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    Bricktop wrote: »

Thx, bud. Fixed.

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    Allowing weapon-switching mid-combat with some limitation (delay, cooldowns etc.) makes sense, coz weapons can break, and you should be able to just pull your spare weapon from your bags.

But allowing one-button instant armor-swaps mid combat just feels wrong. How would your character instantly take off all his armor, store them, pull out another set of armor, and put them on all while facing some boss monster?
    Well unless it's implemented in a hilariously non-practical way, e.g. armor-swap is a 30 seconds cast that fixes the character in place, and monster can respond to that armor swap:

Imagine you're that dragon, charging your mighty draconic fire breath, and you see that knight you've been pounding upon suddenly takes off his plate armor, pulls another set of seemingly fire-resistant dragonscale plates out of his backpack, and begins putting them on. What do you do?
    You cut your charging short and roast him before he's ready, of coz.

But then, that kind of implementation will be 1. useless (although hilarious) & 2. just scope creep.
  • Options
    Question: Can I freely transition between my ranged & melee weapon (since there are slots for both) or is this considered a weapon swap?

Are they considering a weapon swap from my backpack to my hand?
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    Noaani wrote: »
    Players can not switch armor in combat, and you will only be able to swap out weapons after a period of time (a few seconds) of neither dealing nor receiving damage.

So, it will be possible to change out weapons in combat if you absolutely have the wrong weapon equipped, but you probably shouldn't really try and incorperate this in to a build.

this seems like it could be really interesting for the classes that have stealth/aggro dropping mechanics. Could be fun, could be cancer but I feel like its a good system.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    Question: Can I freely transition between my ranged & melee weapon (since there are slots for both) or is this considered a weapon swap?

In answer to your first question as they have made them two separate equipment slots I can’t imagine you would not be able to switch between the two more freely than the weapon swapping system would allow. However I believe we haven’t had anything official said about this yet, at least not that I’ve seen recently
  • Options
    Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    The only game where I like equipment swapping in combat is Old-School Runescape, and only because it fits with the gameplay. For those who haven't played it, in OSRS there is a very clear-cut rock-paper-scissors mechanic. Melee beats Ranged, Ranged beats Magic, Magic beats Melee. Since all characters have equal access to all combat types, high level gameplay consists of constantly swapping your gear in combat to counter whatever your opponent is doing.

The skill in OSRS is knowing when to swap your gear to gain an advantage in what would otherwise be a completely dead even fight.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options

you can freely utilize both the equipped ranged and melee weapon. That isn't considered a weapon swap as both are part of your load out.
  • Options
    Warth wrote: »
    you can freely utilize both the equipped ranged and melee weapon. That isn't considered a weapon swap as both are part of your load out.

Thanks.

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png