Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Idea: New characters being "born" into people's family

Considering this game seems to be building this deep "family" system, I had what I thought was a cool idea to take one of the aspects of our actual lives, and somehow implemented a mechanic where new characters are are "Born" into people's families?

Perhaps after the server reaches a certain capacity this could be how new players get to join the server.
(because obviously there need to be people to already have families to begin with for this to make sense)

There could be all kinds of directions this could take. Perhaps you inherit some natural aptitude to do the crafting professions or classes that your "parents" have or something. Maybe there could be systems like a forced "allowance" or an inheritance system where parents would have to pay their newborn players to help them get a start in the world, or the child inherits some stake in the property rights of their house or something, or is tied to what guild their parents are in even, so many possibilities for this lol

I thought I even heard Steven joking about how husbands and wives sleep together get a special buff bonus when they log back in.... This seems like the only next logical step to take it to.

Comments

• Options
    FuryBladeborneFuryBladeborne Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited October 2020
    The family system is intended to support and encourage players to group together regularly. Joining or leaving a family involves accepting and invite or clicking leave and waiting for the required period. There isn't an age development thing related to being born going on.

The family summoning is one of the core features of the family system and is used to allow players to quickly join their regular group. It appears that the purpose of buffs from sleeping together is to encourage players to sync their time together.

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Families
  • Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited October 2020
    Oh this would tie in nicely with the orphan system.
    If Mama or Papa die in a PvP siege all their children are sent to the orphanage to work on someone's freehold.

This would be a really great cost-cutting method that could bring in the first industrial revolution of AoC.

Ok but a more sincere response: This would have to be an opt-in thing from both the "parents" and the new player. Kinda weird if you made a new character and randos are like "OH MY GOSH IT'S A GIRL!! HELLO SWEETIE! Welcome to AoC you'll be living in our house until you reach level 25 and then you'll have to get a job and move out."

Hehehe... actually I really like this idea now.
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    Ugh, I dunno. I thought it was creepy enough that you could have in-game spouse players, without them being able to in-game "procreate".
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    maouw wrote: »
    Oh this would tie in nicely with the orphan system.
    If Mama or Papa die in a PvP siege all their children are sent to the orphanage to work on someone's freehold.

Hahahaha, brilliant! :D
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/