Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Game looks great but characters walk/move a bit clunky

voice2000voice2000 Member
edited October 2020 in General Discussion
I find the character movement a bit clunky ,hope this will change in the furure.

Comments

• Options
    It's still in early development. That part will be tidied up later on. Just stick with it.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    what part of pre-alpha did you not get?
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    OrcLuckOrcLuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Woah boy, Back Nagash, Down! We got a new member here.
  • Options
    KuldjuxKuldjux Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I totally agree, in the current state they do look a bit clunky. But to quote Steven in the latest Creative Director's letter "you ain't seen nothin' yet". There will be many iterations of graphic assets and animations before the game is released. I don't think we have anything to worry about.
    BamUhO9_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited October 2020
    I agree with OP.

People need to learn to shut up with the "it's pre-alpha" comments, when somebody gives a simple feedback without talking down the game.
    It's not like the OP attacked the game ffs.
  • Options
    FuryBladeborneFuryBladeborne Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    IS
    I agree with OP.

People need to learn to shut up with the "it's pre-alpha" comments...
    I think people get tired of repeating and reading the same thing a hundred times. Particularly since we already have to go through the disclaimer on every livestream and every director's letter, and everywhere else that IS keeps reminding us about being in development for specific things such as animation.

• Options
    edited October 2020
    That's not the newcomers problem. If you are tired of repeating clarifications, dont. And dont shove "aight alpha yet" to people coming here to give their two cents.
    It doesnt merrit such responces.
  • Options
    That's not the newcomers problem. If you are tired of repeating clarifications, dont. And dont shove "aight alpha yet" to people coming here to give their two cents.

How hard is it to do some research into a game these days? I know I gave the OP a hard time but you can see the improvements from alpha 0 to alpha 1 and all you have to do is go on youtube
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    voice2000 wrote: »
    I find the character movement a bit clunky ,hope this will change in the furure.

running looks clunky
    jumping looks buggy
    fighting is static and boring
    fighting/casting animations are terrible
    mounts disappearing
    there is no content
    there is no gameplay

we are aware of it and yes ITS an pre Alpha!
  • Options
    Nagash wrote: »

How hard is it to do some research into a game these days? I know I gave the OP a hard time but you can see the improvements from alpha 0 to alpha 1 and all you have to do is go on youtube

Maybe OP just wanted to discuss something with the community and this was his first choice? I understand your sentiment though lol
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    Ehrgeiz wrote: »
    voice2000 wrote: »

running looks clunky
    jumping looks buggy
    fighting is static and boring
    fighting/casting animations are terrible
    mounts disappearing
    there is no content
    there is no gameplay

we are aware of it and yes ITS an pre Alpha!

Exactly.
  • Options
    VentharienVentharien Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

If you make "No Shit Sherlock" statements, you get told No Shit Sherlock. People will come in without even the insignificant effort of a google search before hopping in, assume they know the entire score and then go spread bad info to others. Why do you think they have to preface every little thing with "this is in an alpha state, alpha state means X"
  • Options
    Sathrago wrote: »

Maybe OP just wanted to discuss something with the community and this was his first choice? I understand your sentiment though lol

and now he knows
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    2 things...

1st of all the OP's complaint is totally valid. The animations are clunky and combat looks awkward. I've been around since the beginning (I don't remember how many forums there have been, 3, 4?) so I've seen this over and over as well and I get being tired of it. But this is still a totally valid complaint because it's true. And when a developer puts out footage that isn't fully done yet, they should expect to get some negative feedback over it. That's the risk you take when sharing these things so early.

But 2nd, there is no reason to be concerned. Imagine someone is making a car and it's covered in primer. Of course it looks dull, it hasn't had paint and chrome and all the stuff that gives it the proper sheen. They are still putting the skeleton together to make sure the structure is sound, so expect things to not be fleshed out.

(No offense @Nagash.)

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    Atama wrote: »
    2 things...

1st of all the OP's complaint is totally valid. The animations are clunky and combat looks awkward. I've been around since the beginning (I don't remember how many forums there have been, 3, 4?) so I've seen this over and over as well and I get being tired of it. But this is still a totally valid complaint because it's true. And when a developer puts out footage that isn't fully done yet, they should expect to get some negative feedback over it. That's the risk you take when sharing these things so early.

But 2nd, there is no reason to be concerned. Imagine someone is making a car and it's covered in primer. Of course it looks dull, it hasn't had paint and chrome and all the stuff that gives it the proper sheen. They are still putting the skeleton together to make sure the structure is sound, so expect things to not be fleshed out.

(No offense @Nagash.)

None taken, I was a bit too gung-ho on this
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Options
    Atama wrote: »
    2 things...

(No offense @Nagash.)

None taken, I was a bit too gung-ho on this
    My apology was for using the "skeleton" metaphor as a pejorative. :)

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    arsnnarsnn Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    Dunno why people are so hostile. What op said falls under category of feedback doesnt it?
    He is aware of the early development phase and to say he is supposed to read up on every forum thread to know whether this feedback has already been voiced is pretty dumb.
  • Options
    arsnn wrote: »
    Dunno why people are so hostile. What op said falls under category of feedback doesnt it?
    He is aware of the early development phase and to say he is supposed to read up on every forum thread to know whether this feedback has already been voiced is pretty dumb.

People like to dictate others
  • Options
    RavudhaRavudha Member
    edited October 2020
    How hard is it to do some research into a game these days?

The thing is people don't necessarily know where to look. The official forums would understandably be an initial touching point for many people, and from there they might then learn about the wiki and dev streams.

• Options
    Ravudha wrote: »

The thing is people don't necessarily know where to look. The official forums would understandably be an initial touching point for many people, and from there they might then learn about the wiki and dev streams.
    1. youtube
    2. the wikis
    3. the main website

all of these tell you and show you that the game is pre-alpha and the differences.
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Options
    KuldjuxKuldjux Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited October 2020
    Guys stop it. A new member interested in the game has made an observation and provided some feedback. No need to turn it into a shitstorm.
    BamUhO9_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium
  • Options
    I am posting this here now to lighten the mode. Come now its all good.

4j2e3j.jpg
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
  • Options
    KreedKreed Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited October 2020

4j2e3j.jpg

Hahah nice ! Seriously though new comer or not, Pre alpha is Pre alpha, many don't understand its not a full game yet and with that a simple comment game looks clunky gets some flak.
  • Options
    edited October 2020

1. youtube
    2. the wikis
    3. the main website

all of these tell you and show you that the game is pre-alpha and the differences.

Which invalidates his feedback?
    The entire porpuse of open development is feedback.
    Even when it´s of low quality and research. There is value in it, as it shows opinions of different segments of the community.

Creating this hardcore elitists community enviroment, where any opinion you share is stamped as "they will have it in future" is so contraproductive.
    Why not ignore the threads that feel redundant for you?

• Options

Creating this hardcore elitists community enviroment, where any opinion you share is stamped as "they will have it in future" is so contraproductive.

The real truth is that the forums don't get as much traction as people would hope so I, and others like me, will respond to just about any post :P. He already admitted that it was a bit harsh of an opener but the point still stands that the game is sooooo early in development that its a little silly to say "wow this game is clunky! I hope they fix it!"

No harm was meant from what I can tell, so there's no need to rag on nagash who has probably been here a bit longer than others. The grumpy old man.... :wink:
  • Options

The real truth is that the forums don't get as much traction as people would hope so I, and others like me, will respond to just about any post :P. He already admitted that it was a bit harsh of an opener but the point still stands that the game is sooooo early in development that its a little silly to say "wow this game is clunky! I hope they fix it!"

No harm was meant from what I can tell, so there's no need to rag on nagash who has probably been here a bit longer than others. The grumpy old man.... :wink:

I am the old man and the forums are my garden
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Options
    Kreed wrote: »

4j2e3j.jpg

Hahah nice ! Seriously though new comer or not, Pre alpha is Pre alpha, many don't understand its not a full game yet and with that a simple comment game looks clunky gets some flak.
    Steven himself has said that many players are misled by what an alpha is. A lot of eastern MMOs get ported over onto western servers, and early in those ports are released as “alphas”. They are called alphas because the port isn’t finished, but other than localization efforts those people are playing a fully-developed game (which may be years past release). That phenomenon has given an unrealistic expectation of what an alpha is.

Compound that with the other fact that most developers keep a tight lid on alphas. You don’t get a lot of raw footage from games in alpha. Usually you’ll see cinematics and concept art, if anything. Alphas are usually tested in-house, then you don’t open the game to outside testing until the beta stage, and even then you clamp down on early beta with NDAs until the game is more developed. Ashes is more transparent earlier on than a typical MMO, so people are seeing stuff earlier than normal and it leaves some with a bad impression from what is clearly unfinished.

This seems to be a trend with games that have come from crowd funding, and that sort of thing is getting to be more common of late, so eventually people might get used to this and become more forgiving. But for now it is unusual and some gamers are understandably misled in their expectations.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited October 2020
    Concerning everyone giving Nagash a hard time, Guys he just said the truth. It is alpha, most people should know that after some reading into it.

Also, here I go again:

tenor.gif?itemid=5371755

a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    PlagueMonkPlagueMonk Member
    edited October 2020

I am the old man and the forums are my garden

Nagash was old even on the original forums, stuff is starting to grow on him now(and I'm not talking about flesh). If you ever wonder about why he glows green, it's because of the luminous moss :D
    isFikWd2_o.jpg
  • Options

Judging from what i have read from Nagash it seems like 95% one liners and 50% gotcha comments à la reddit in order to receive attention. That´s my perspective on it.
    People not visiting intrepid´s platform often will say "nope " and head immediately out.
    Idc if stuff like that would be directed at me but i genuinely hate this insider circle jerking directed towards new people that don´t get the contexts.