Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

What are your favourite sets/items in other MMOs and Why?

Cold 0ne FTBCold 0ne FTB Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
Thought this might be neat and fun to see what other items and sets people enjoy using. Personally I really like Vicious Death, Azureblight, and Balorgh from ESO because I like a lot of burst and I like PVP sets that punish players for doing silly things.

juNquVV.png
4WK3nkW.png
yRh8yKj.png

ZxbhjES.gif

That is not dead which can eternal lie. And with strange aeons even death may die.

Comments

• Options
    Im a simple man.

giphy.gif
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited October 2020
    The gear in my avatar.
    In L2 most people playing my class back in 2004-6 would wear gear sets that booster dmg.
    I went with tankiness (the gear in the pic) and won.

Only my right sword is different to what I used to have. Sls*nightmare +4, Doom Plate armor +4 Con -4 Dex.
    Most beautiful armor in any game I have played.
  • Options
    The gear in my avatar.
    In L2 most people playing my class back in 2004-6 would wear gear sets that booster dmg.
    I went with tankiness (the gear in the pic) and won.

Only my right sword is different to what I used to have. Sls*nightmare +4

That looks bad ass as fuck!
    Sathrago wrote: »
    Im a simple man.

giphy.gif

Nothing wrong with being practical
    ZxbhjES.gif

That is not dead which can eternal lie. And with strange aeons even death may die.
  • Options
    I tend to like sets that give a quirky/unique benefit, but the way most MMOs go is that I end up having to use the "MOAR DMG MOAR DMG MOAR DMG" sets in order to stay relevant.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    ThemataThemata Member
    edited October 2020
    Tbh I like the WoW tier set structure. You knew that whenever new content came out that there was going to be something unique to your class. I'm not suggesting AoC employ the same content release structure, pushing everyone to be constantly on the gear treadmill only to have their gear become useless every expac. Mainly just enjoyed trying to collect all the different class unique sets and using my favourite for xmog.

To answer the question at hand my favourite set would either be the Demon Stalker set for the Hunter or Judgement set for the Paladin.

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcRKXeDruLglVx72htF59_yswnSLRuqTeA4s1g&usqp=CAU

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcQ0vrCtTWslxMn3NMWKlFG1agg3iRdqOv6ahA&usqp=CAU

• Options
    mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited October 2020
    Can't really remember any bonuses that stuck out to me. I do enjoy bonuses that support tanky-dps classes, preferably ones that augment your offensive stats based off your defensive ones. I also like procs that either do damage or heal.
  • Options
    For someone who's played this type of game for a long time, it might sound odd that I have very little interest for gear in general. Never got me excited, I see items simply as tools. Stats are just numbers... you level, get more HPs and hit harder on mobs that have more HPs and hit harder.

With that perspective in mind (which I don't think is representative of most players of RPGs), I like items that give new options to my character. Things that my class doesn't have, whether a proc, permanent effect or a spell. An old classic would be the Journeyman's Boots in EverQuest or some set bonus in WoW.
    Be bold. Be brave. Roll a Tulnar !
  • Options
    In Final Fantasy 11 (the MMO); if you were lucky enough to kill various rare-spawn Notorious Monsters, and were also lucky enough to subsequently get the rare Item drop... sometimes that level 7, or level 20 piece of equipment would STILL be viable at level 60, or 70....

And when you wore it/used it... it was a reminder of the sweat, blood and tears of joy after finally obtaining it. The MEMORIES attached to the item would carry with you as you leveled up even into end game.

I like those kind of items:

- Lower level but, still useful later on in the game.
    - Have fun memories attached to them.

Steven Sharif is my James Halliday (Anorak)

Lore-Banner-Ao-C.png

“That is not dead which can eternal lie,
    And with strange aeons even death may die.”

-HPL
  • Options
    In Final Fantasy 11 (the MMO); if you were lucky enough to kill various rare-spawn Notorious Monsters, and were also lucky enough to subsequently get the rare Item drop... sometimes that level 7, or level 20 piece of equipment would STILL be viable at level 60, or 70....

And when you wore it/used it... it was a reminder of the sweat, blood and tears of joy after finally obtaining it. The MEMORIES attached to the item would carry with you as you leveled up even into end game.

I like those kind of items:

- Lower level but, still useful later on in the game.
    - Have fun memories attached to them.

Hahaha, reminds me of the Boots Of Blinding Speed from 'TES3: Morrowind'. Terrible armour rating, but you were sooooooo fast...!
  • Options
    I typically go for fashion over form (gotta look good to play good, right? right???) so um...whatever set has the most skulls on it. Like lots and lots of skulls. I can think of a few from WoW in particular (mostly involving comically large pauldrons) that fit this description!
    community_management.gif
  • Options
    I'm divided on the idea of "set equipment".

On one hand set armors look better. Mixing armors of different designs often make your character look like a poor salvager who's been picking up random pieces here & there, unless you invest some good effort into armor-fashion-matching.
    Interesting set bonuses are also good to have.

On the other hand, I really dislike the "tier sets" system in WoW - it basically pigeonholes you into obtaining and wearing that ONE armor set (per class) for your character. Other non-set epic pieces are mostly temporarily - you only wear it until you've obtained the set piece for that slot.
    Uhhhh what happened to variations / choices / decisions?

If you're gonna have set items, then please:

- have a LOT of them. Give people meaningful choices (not an MMO but Monster Hunter World is a good example. Nearly all armor sets are "sets", but a full-set is not always the best solution. You can still decide how you want to specialize your hunter and mix & match those pieces)
    - have meaningful "small-set bonuses" (2 or 3 pieces bonus). In MHW it's common to wear 2 pieces from set A and 2 or 3 pieces from set B for various bonuses.
  • Options
    I typically go for fashion over form (gotta look good to play good, right? right???) so um...whatever set has the most skulls on it. Like lots and lots of skulls. I can think of a few from WoW in particular (mostly involving comically large pauldrons) that fit this description!

I hope you're not going to try to steal the Necromancer class from @Nagash ........
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited October 2020
    I never liked gear sets from a gearing perspective - they kind of limit you to wearing that one item set, and changing the whole lot out at once for another set. To me, if sets like ESO are the norm in a game, the game may as well just have one or two equipment slots.

Set gear for appearance is all good, but appearance slots are (or should be) a thing, and if not there should be a way to transfer the appearance of one item on to another.

As for my favorate item in any game ever, that would be EQ2's Bloodthirsty Choker.
    images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcQlp-omSQt1a4VN5Pc9q8LsmGm_ktwCRfh3lQ&usqp=CAU
    While the stats on the item were nothing amazing, the effect absolutely was.

It increased all damage by 10% - but in a multiplicative way. If a spell did 1000 damage, and you had maxed out additional damage to it to bring it up to 1300, this choker would make it do 1430 - rather than most effects of this type that would only work on the spells base damage (and count towards that cap of 1300). If you had a high crit mulitplier as well, this effect was especially useful.

At the time it was added to the game, it was easily the item with the single biggest increase to damage output in the game - by an actual mile.

The thing that made this my favorate item, rather than just a really nice item to have, was the fact that you actually couldn't wear it all that often.

On top of adding 10% damage to everything you do, it also did 5% of your total maximum health in unmitigatable damage to you, for every ability you used - and it would happily kill you (it is, after all, bloodthirsty). This means that you essentially needed healer permission to use it, but if you did have a healer that would let you use it, both you and the healer had a far more interesting time on the content than you would have had otherwise.

Heals in that game only worked within your group, as opposed to being true AoE or raid wide, and if you were in a DPS group on a raid with a really good healer, and that healer was up for letting everyone in the group use their choker (because literally every DPS had one on them literally all the time), then the whole group was a lot more fun.

Basically it is an item that allowed players that knew what they were doing to work together to increase their output, in a way that was almost always just a whole lot of fun. It was an item that literally changed the way people played the game when fighting more mundane content.

I used that choker for about 4 years, iirc.
  • Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    The forces of evil are gathering.

We may have underestimated them.

giphy.gif

I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One

I hope you treat them with care
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options

Naturally they have to look good! If they don't what's the point?
    ZxbhjES.gif

• Options
    pyrealpyreal Member, Warrior of Old
    Percimes wrote: »
    For someone who's played this type of game for a long time, it might sound odd that I have very little interest for gear in general. Never got me excited, I see items simply as tools. Stats are just numbers... you level, get more HPs and hit harder on mobs that have more HPs and hit harder.

With that perspective in mind (which I don't think is representative of most players of RPGs), I like items that give new options to my character. Things that my class doesn't have, whether a proc, permanent effect or a spell. An old classic would be the Journeyman's Boots in EverQuest or some set bonus in WoW.

DITTO. Nothing but tools to me as well.
    Gear to me was just a means to see the next zone, explore the next cave, do the next dungeon, be a better healer for my group.
  • Options
    I prefer bonuses that interacts with skills and change your gameplay over numbers.

For shape of armors, I prefer lean and slender aesthetic over super bulky.
  • Options
    BluehBlueh Member, Pioneer, Kickstarter
    This item in Albion Online
    132px-T8Demon.png
    https://wiki.albiononline.com/wiki/Protection_of_the_Fiends it gives an amzing spell that makes or breaks alot of ZvZ fights and makes them interesting u can stack some for so that the users of the ability dont die with timing and stuff. Albion has really fun mechanics in ZvZ (ZergVZerg)

Its a nice ability that gives AoE protection with some self sacrifice and since there are aoe oneshots in Albion it makes tanks super viable and "skilled" to play
  • Options
    Blueh wrote: »
    This item in Albion Online
    132px-T8Demon.png
    https://wiki.albiononline.com/wiki/Protection_of_the_Fiends it gives an amzing spell that makes or breaks alot of ZvZ fights and makes them interesting u can stack some for so that the users of the ability dont die with timing and stuff. Albion has really fun mechanics in ZvZ (ZergVZerg)

Its a nice ability that gives AoE protection with some self sacrifice and since there are aoe oneshots in Albion it makes tanks super viable and "skilled" to play

I can imagine. AOC will need a lot of abilities/items like that so much of the pvp combat will involve group vs group content in which one side will likely have a significant numbers advantage. Numbers should matter in combat and it's really hard for them not too but an organized and well disciplined group of skill players should be able to compete against them.
    ZxbhjES.gif

• Options
    PlagueMonkPlagueMonk Member
    edited October 2020
    Nagash wrote: »

I KNEW this would get a rise out of Nagash.

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

(oh sorry, I know that was a bit out of character, just channeling my inner Khorne >:) )
    isFikWd2_o.jpg
  • Options
    VentharienVentharien Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    129717655-main.jpg

Loved this armor set paired with this weapon in my last WoW stint. Especially riding Invincible :smiley:
  • Options
    %D0%9A%D0%BE%D0%BC%D0%BF%D0%BB%D0%B5%D0%BA%D1%82_%D0%A2%D1%8F%D0%B6%D0%B5%D0%BB%D0%BE%D0%B9_%D0%91%D1%80%D0%BE%D0%BD%D0%B8_%D0%98%D0%BC%D0%BF%D0%B5%D1%80%D1%81%D0%BA%D0%BE%D0%B3%D0%BE_%D0%9A%D1%80%D0%B5%D1%81%D1%82%D0%BE%D0%BD%D0%BE%D1%81%D1%86%D0%B0_%D0%9E%D1%80%D0%BA%D0%B8_%D0%9C%D1%83%D0%B6.jpg

%D0%9A%D0%BE%D0%BC%D0%BF%D0%BB%D0%B5%D0%BA%D1%82_%D0%A2%D1%8F%D0%B6%D0%B5%D0%BB%D0%BE%D0%B9_%D0%91%D1%80%D0%BE%D0%BD%D0%B8_%D0%92%D0%B5%D0%BB%D0%B8%D1%87%D0%B8%D1%8F_%D0%9E%D1%80%D0%BA%D0%B8_%D0%9C%D1%83%D0%B6.jpg
  • Options
    TacualeonTacualeon Member
    edited October 2020
    Two-handed Retribution Blood-elf T6 Paladin with Avenging Wrath and dps trinket activated.

Looks slender, pretty and diabolical.
    759358.jpg

LikelyShadyAvians-size_restricted.gif

• Options
    Nagash wrote: »

This is the set that I use in WoW most of the time due to my love of turquoise, skulls, and fire.
    warlock.png
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu