Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Verra and flat-earth principles

maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
So the wiki says Verra is not circumnavigable (please someone make a Christopher Columbus and attempt the voyage anyways)
I understand AoC is high fantasy and lore is under wraps, but I want to know what kind of magic is breaking these rules.
In fact, I think such explanations would serve as excellent inspiration for sidequests and world lore - would add great depth to the world - especially if we could interact with these/they play into the story and/or sidequests.

Is Verra a spherical planet or are flat-earthers welcome here?
(or is Verra like a boat floating on a vast vast ocean? Are we in the matrix (oh this gets meta)? Does the goddess have us housed in a crystal ball like the Truman show?)
This has lots of implications because:
  • The time it takes a planet to orbit the sun defines a year - what is the definition of a year in Verra?
  • Seasons only happen if the planet's axis is tilted off normal to the plane of the planet's orbit - what/who causes seasonal change across Verra?
  • The North and South pole are icy because of the spherical shape of a planet - this doesn't seem to be a thing in Verra, unless there are more lands to be discovered to the north and south of Verra? What/Who is responsible for that very frosty mountain section on the world map? (Or is the whole area just really high altitude like the Himalayas?)
  • The earth's magnetic field seems to be related to it's rotational axis - does Verra have a North/South/East/West? Does it have a magnetic field that it uses for North? Or is it using some crystal to trace the flow of magic for navigation?
  • Does Verra have moons? Are they spherical bodies orbiting Verra? Or does someone ride a chariot across the sky pulling the moon around? Do the moons have phases? Are they they synchronized? Are there any celestial events that trigger things on Verra? (can we have a secret boss that can only be summoned when certain conditions are met?)
  • Can we please fall off the edge of the map? Or maybe the edge of the map is waterfalls flowing in reverse up into the sky, and if you try to float your boat into a reverse waterfall, it gets destroyed? or maybe your boat just goes into the clouds and falls with the rain somewhere on the land. Maybe that could be a valid metropolitan transportation option.
  • Is the goddess going to create more land?
I wish I were deep and tragic

Comments

• Options
    Well I have always pictured the material plane of dnd a flat expanse with a dome that bars the way to the astral plane which is basically the empty space between all the other planes of existence. Obviously this makes little sense for realism or whatever but it sure makes it easier to visualize!

That's how I've viewed many games that just give you a flat world map. I'm not really a fan of the whole falling off the side trope.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    The map being flat and not circumnavigable doesn't mean the world is flat.
    In WoW you can't do it either, but the world is clearly a planet (as shown in the end Legion cinematics where our boy Sargeras stabs it with a sword).

I don't think Intrepid will go for a comical Terry Prattchet-esc world like the Disk World like you are describing - although it would be pretty cool.

There isn't a single goddess but a pantheon of 7 or 9 gods, i don't remember exactly.
  • Options
    phdmonster wrote: »
    In WoW you can't do it either, but the world is clearly a planet (as shown in the end Legion cinematics where our boy Sargeras stabs it with a sword).

I don't think Intrepid will go for a comical Terry Prattchet-esc world like the Disk World like you are describing - although it would be pretty cool.

There isn't a single goddess but a pantheon of 7 or 9 gods, i don't remember exactly.

Well if course I know it's not actually flat. My point is if they are going to make it non circumventable it would be cool to make it actually be flat with a dome. The entire universe could be called the chest board of the gods.

Why cant you go out of the dome yet? God said no.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
  • Options
    As i said, i feel like they want a more.. Serious lore and world design :-)
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Sathrago wrote: »

Well if course I know it's not actually flat. My point is if they are going to make it non circumventable it would be cool to make it actually be flat with a dome. The entire universe could be called the chest board of the gods.

Why cant you go out of the dome yet? God said no.

the world is a disc world

discworld_main.jpg?resize=768%2C432
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    SathragoSathrago Member
    edited October 2020
    As i said, i feel like they want a more.. Serious lore and world design :-)

The divine pantheon erected a barrier to shroud Verra's young races from the unknown threats of the universe.

There I explained the entire reason for it being like that in one sentence. You don't need it to be complicated to make sense.
  • Options
    A wizard did it.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    daveywavey wrote: »
    A wizard did it.

Perfect!
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    they confirmed it to be flat (for now)
  • Options
    How can we know whether Vera is flat or round, when "we" are surrounded by Corruption? Once the citizens defeat this Corruption Barrier, then we can play Magellan. Otherwise, be happy with 103 nodes to explore, until that barrier is penetrated.Yes, I know Steven said Vera is flat.

So, I say, to you Mr Columbus. Have a fun sail. Let us know what's on the other side. And no, I'm not funding your trip. 🙃

• Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    edited October 2020
    Well, as long as Vera isn't the same shaped disc as Azeroth...

hamster.jpg

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    There are certainly some interesting ideas for a lore-based approach on that front, and I love the brainstorming so far! Perhaps you younglings returning to Verra simply lack the seafaring technology to reach beyond the depths...yet ;)
    community_management.gif
  • Options
    There are certainly some interesting ideas for a lore-based approach on that front, and I love the brainstorming so far! Perhaps you younglings returning to Verra simply lack the seafaring technology to reach beyond the depths...yet ;)
    giphy.gif

Ill send a monkey-dolphin strapped to a dolphin-monkey out as far as possible to test the limits.
  • Options
    Also gratz on having toast respond @maouw must be nice.

I be sittin here looking at my thread like:
    ConcernedLinedGarpike-size_restricted.gif
  • Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    @Sathrago
    I love that the Intrepid staff participate in discussions with us!
    At the end of the day though, I'm sure Toast is keeping tabs on all the threads on top of her other responsibilities, so your thread on PvP murder pits won't have escaped her eye - cheer up dude.
    (that discussion can be found here)

I think it's always difficult for staff to talk with the community because they really have to maintain a sense of professionalism - whereas we can say stupid things and apologize for it. So don't take it personally.

Let's do our best leaving them free from drama so they can talk more openly without feeling like they're being dragged into something hahaha
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    maouw wrote: »
    @Sathrago
    I love that the Intrepid staff participate in discussions with us!
    At the end of the day though, I'm sure Toast is keeping tabs on all the threads on top of her other responsibilities, so your thread on PvP murder pits won't have escaped her eye - cheer up dude.

I think it's always difficult for staff to talk with the community because they really have to maintain a sense of professionalism - whereas we can say stupid things and apologize for it. So don't take it personally.

Let's do our best leaving them free from drama so they can talk more openly without feeling like they're being dragged into something hahaha

Fair enough bro. Was memeing mostly I know they have a ton on their plates lol. It's just one of those things where you hope your idea resonates with someone. I have no experience designing video games and couldnt tell you anything about the tech involved... but I do have some confidence in my ability as a dm for fantasy games, and as a die hard fan of everything they are trying to accomplish with ashes of creation.

• Options
    maouw wrote: »

+100 points for @maouw for being a team player! o:)
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/