Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Ashes Talk: On Combat

SimurghSimurgh Member, Phoenix Initiative, Avatar of the Phoenix, Kickstarter
LXb9OeF.jpg]
Lets Catch Up!
Discord πŸ”» YouTube πŸ”» Twitch πŸ”» Twitter πŸ”» AshesHQ
Ashes Pathfinders Podcast
Twitter πŸ”» Spotify πŸ”» iTunes πŸ”» GoogleπŸ”» Amazon πŸ”» Podbean

Ashes Talk: On Combat

Join us in another one of our "Ashes Talk" series discussing combat in Ashes of Creation. What is your preference? Action, Tab, or Hybrid? Look forward to all your thoughts! Share it all and we welcome you to join our community. Have questions or just trying to get better acquainted with things around the community? Stop by and say hi and share your thoughts or questions!

Live streaming every day at 5PM CDT on Twitch!

Ashes Pathfinders podcast live every Sunday 5PM CDT!
kQcyFmb.jpg
Keep Up-To-Date with Ashes of Creation on AshesHQ - Join the community around Ashes HQ, Ashes Pathfinders, & KOTP on Discord

Comments

• Options
    TacualeonTacualeon Member
    edited October 2020
    Full action target or hybrid.

Also, phisics, force and displacements is a must for me.
  • Options
    TyrantorTyrantor Member
    edited October 2020
    Full action target or hybrid.

Also, phisics, force and displacements is a must for me.

I would disagree entirely for MMO play, tab target is the most logical. The latency issues would destroy the combat system in a full action target systems MMO. If you look at new world as a generic example it's likely why their combat system is so limited and boring (at present). What I mean by this is their non-ability attacks are just limited to "light" swing and "heavy" swing. No combos, rolls, jump attacks, strafe attacks, parry or riposte etc.

I find it hard to believe a MMO will be available in the next 5+ years with any sort of action combat system that would have a fluid feel as For Honor or Dark Souls even. It would be amazing if the ping wasn't a hinderance for counters and parry's but I highly doubt we'll see it.

One of the interviews or videos Steven specifically said they wanted to go that route but people's actual skill to "block" was too low for balance reasons and pings would just amplify that on such a simple mechanic as "face target".

I'm interested to see their hybrid system but would vote 100% tab for MMO.
    Tyrantor
    Master Assassin
    (Yes same Tyrantor from Shadowbane)
    Book suggestions:
    Galaxy Outlaws books 1-16.5, Metagamer Chronicles, The Land litrpg series, Ready Player One, Zen in the Martial Arts
  • Options
    TacualeonTacualeon Member
    edited October 2020
    Tyrantor wrote: Β»
    If you look at new world as a generic example it's likely why their combat system is such shit. What I mean by this is their non-ability attacks are just limited to "light" swing and "heavy" swing. No combos, rolls, jump attacks, strafe attacks, parry or riposte etc.

One of the interviews or videos Steven specifically said they wanted to go that route but people's actual skill to "block" was too low for balance reasons and pings would just amplify that on such a simple mechanic as "face target".

I'm interested to see their hybrid system but would vote 100% tab for MMO.

Even tough I played wow for like 8 years and have the best of memories, going back to tab targeted with strong accent ONLY in cd management without much mechanical things doesn't make my heart pump.
    Coming from a game where you can dodge some proyectile and become untargetable at the right time, tab-targeted cd management feels like a glorified speed chess.
    I have games for that.

I'll take hybrid if we get some combination of combos, rolls, strafe attacks, parry, riposte, mechanical and physics based skills.

I'll take tab if we get a lot of them.

But for the moment all I'm seeing is tab-targeted combat and few mechanical skills.
    No action, no physics. (that I've seen on streams) A glorified speed-chees.
  • Options
    DracusDracus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Hybrid imo is the way to go. It allows to spice things up. What I do hope is combat feels pertinent to your class.

By this I mean if I am playing an assassin I want to feel the speed, critical strikes the high damage high risk feel.

If you are a warrior to leap into battle and feel the strike of your blows

If you are a mage going glass cannon to feel the imminent danger of getting obliterated but at the same time feel like you are a massive force of destruction.

if you are a healer you feel safe surrounded by your guard healing others,

Seeing a healer tank 10 damage dealers, or an assassin fighting like a warrior in mid battle would just be disappointing.
  • Options
    I would be interessted if the devs plan with a strict trinity approach; tank healer dps thats it.. or a softer trinity like current gw2s combat where you can play a healer but there is no class that by its nature is healer and nothing else. this approach is allwoing for hybrids / more shades of builds and my preferred version.
    Stoic. Tradition. Forge. :
    tumblr_my6no12Xrg1s5muieo1_500.gif
    Kappa

• Options
    Since it appears the game is going to allow for creative builds based on playstyle or group composition it seems that people could potentially play classes outside of the generic vision for them. Like a priest with a 2h axe instead of a scepter/shield for example. Obviously there is no way to tell what kind of impact that would have on the viability of the class but I would prefer to see people design their characters in unique ways so that every healer, warrior, rogue etc does not have the exact same meta, strengths or weaknesses.

Tyrantor
    Master Assassin
    (Yes same Tyrantor from Shadowbane)
    Book suggestions:
    Galaxy Outlaws books 1-16.5, Metagamer Chronicles, The Land litrpg series, Ready Player One, Zen in the Martial Arts
  • Options
    SimurghSimurgh Member, Phoenix Initiative, Avatar of the Phoenix, Kickstarter
    Thanks for sharing friends! Heya Ty!
    kQcyFmb.jpg
    Keep Up-To-Date with Ashes of Creation on AshesHQ - Join the community around Ashes HQ, Ashes Pathfinders, & KOTP on Discord